VOGONS

First post, by Jester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only I.D. I can find on this 486 motherboard are the initials T.W. does this mean it is a TongWei mobo? I’m hoping to find documentation regarding the jumpers. Thanks

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please remove the battery as soon as possible.
It will leak and destroy the board.

I hope the green stuff on the 4 pins on the second ISA connector near the battery is just a reflection...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 3 of 9, by Jester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:01:

Please remove the battery as soon as possible.
It will leak and destroy the board.

I hope the green stuff on the 4 pins on the second ISA connector near the battery is just a reflection...

Unfortunately it’s not a reflection. Not sure how that got in there, because the area around the battery has no oxidation.

What should I do? Scrub it with an old toothbrush soaked in deoxit?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to neutralise the alkaline with an acid. Most people use vinegar. Then thoroughly rinse it. Scrubbing with an old toothbrush after soaking in vinegar is good. Make sure it's completely clean before rinsing.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:00:

Wow thanks for that! Supports max 256k cache and max 128mb ram 😀

https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/j- … f7612390386.pdf

Reply 6 of 9, by Jester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My ct3670 awe32 is working but sounds distorted overamplified breaking up going through headphones or speakers. I think it might have bad capacitors. Is this sound card needing the -5v rail like the sound blaster 2.0 ?

Reply 7 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jester wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:12:

...What should I do?...

exactly this

debs3759 wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:33:

You need to neutralise the alkaline with an acid. Most people use vinegar. Then thoroughly rinse it. Scrubbing with an old toothbrush after soaking in vinegar is good. Make sure it's completely clean before rinsing.

Jester wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:48:

...Is this sound card needing the -5v rail like the sound blaster 2.0 ?

No. ( If on the backside the 5th contact on the isa connetor (counted from the front) is unused, it doesnt need -5v)

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 8 of 9, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a lithium battery, and they don't leak like that. When they leak, it's huge amounts of brown sludge that corrodes more quickly. Look for what happens to the Maxell batteries in old Apple stuff.

Reply 9 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jester wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:45:

Note that with 256K cache the cacheable RAM limit is just 32MB or perhaps 64MB depending on configuration.
With four 32-pin sockets, it's possible that it can do 512K but it would be single-bank which means sticking to a 33 MHz bus or less.