Radeon 9600XT strange blue pixels

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2023-09-12, 12:35:
kalanneni wrote on 2023-09-12, 12:27:

By the way, there is an NTSC/PAL jumper, but does nothing regarding this problem. 🙁

Yeah, likely only touches 'tv-out'.... I've got a jetway 9600XT.... the other thing I was thinking about, is does the 3D unit of the GPU display the same problem (in win98 we're only seeing the 2D unit output)...just curious

Only game I tried is Max Payne, and it has the same blue pixels during the game (Catalyst 3D demos have them as well while running on WinXP desktop).

Win98SE PC - ASUS P3BF, PIII 500, 256 Mb RAM, V3 2000, SB Live
WinXP PC - ABIT BH7, Pentium 4 2.4, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600XT

Reply 22 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-09-11, 18:55:

If it does the same thing over DVI and VGA, it is not the RAMDAC .

I am guessing that it is either a weird hardware fault OR maybe something to do with a custom VBIOS.

What brand/model is the card and can you share VBIOS dump ?

Giantclam already identified it, but there here's what GPU-Z shows. For my surprise, the display started to glitch for about 5 minutes after I started the application, like the monitor trying to adjust itself.

Attachments

• gpu-z.gif
    Filename
    gpu-z.gif
    File size
    20.57 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GPU-Z
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 24 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-12, 21:01:

you could try underclocking the card, both core and ram all the way down

Downloaded ATI Tray Tools, underclocked to the lowest value, but nothing changed. Even run the benchmark for artifact but shows nothing.

Reply 25 of 33, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried several versions of the drivers? Possibly older ones?
Link to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1grex39s8wwovjh/AA … _t1NTqXjra?dl=0

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 26 of 33, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any chance of trying some other OS? It might be possible to boot linux from a live CD. If the missing red value is still there then it's probably a weird hardware issue (some sort of internal palette mapping?).

Reply 27 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2023-09-14, 09:20:

Have you tried several versions of the drivers? Possibly older ones?
Link to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1grex39s8wwovjh/AA … _t1NTqXjra?dl=0

Already done that. The last Catalyst verson is 7.1 but I started somewhere around 10. It has the same color problem, while changing between Catalyst versions, I mean for that few driverless minutes.

Reply 28 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2023-09-14, 13:18:

Any chance of trying some other OS? It might be possible to boot linux from a live CD. If the missing red value is still there then it's probably a weird hardware issue (some sort of internal palette mapping?).

I am definitely going to try that. And maybe search for another 9600 😀

Reply 29 of 33, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kalanneni wrote on 2023-09-14, 08:27:

Downloaded ATI Tray Tools, underclocked to the lowest value, but nothing changed. Even run the benchmark for artifact but shows nothing.

that leaves
-gpu chip failed internally
-radeons keep framebuffer in fixed memory location and one bga ball failed under gpu/one of the rams lost one pin connection

You can try squeezing GPU and every ram chip with your fingers one by one while displaying some dynamic content to constantly refresh framebuffer.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 30 of 33, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-14, 20:34:
that leaves -gpu chip failed internally -radeons keep framebuffer in fixed memory location and one bga ball failed under gpu/on […]
Show full quote
kalanneni wrote on 2023-09-14, 08:27:

that leaves
-gpu chip failed internally
-radeons keep framebuffer in fixed memory location and one bga ball failed under gpu/one of the rams lost one pin connection

You can try squeezing GPU and every ram chip with your fingers one by one while displaying some dynamic content to constantly refresh framebuffer.

If there was one bit not working wouldn't that show up as half the red intensities missing, either as a solid block (if the high bit was gone) or a series of bands?

Just had an unlikely thought: Since DVI supports both digital and VGA (DVI-I I think?), do we know for sure that the DVI test was definitely using the digital output? Maybe it's worth trying a passive DVI->HDMI adapter since I think HDMI was initially just DVI without the analogue bits, so it would guarantee that the digital output was being used. Maryoo's problem sounds a bit more odd in that it's only a problem on DVI and not VGA. Wonder if that might be cable/signal quality related.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a colour remapping tool that dithered the specific red value that's got the problem to one either side?

Reply 31 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I let this problems sit for a while, and purchased a new Radeon 9600XT some weeks ago.
The new card producing black lines on the right part of the screen. These line occurs only in 3d applications, the winxp desktop is totally artifact free(but skipping to desktop with alttab keeps the artifacts on screen).
Running games in 16 bit color depth gives only a 5% part on the right filled with artifacts.

I tried a dozen Catalyst Driver, vga and dvi, 3 different monitors, even a winxp reinstall but nothing cured it.

Could it be the mobo agp slot?

Attachments

Reply 32 of 33, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about maybe you need to fiddle a bit with the AGP settings - under BIOS? I would try this

Also please try good clean of agp. Maybe there is some little dust on m/b

and this motherboard is known for capacitors plague, maybe some caps need replacement?

It is also a good choice to try this gpu on different motherboard you got

Personally, I would try to clean the AGP slot with a vacuum cleaner first

Reply 33 of 33, by kalanneni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dragonkn wrote on 2023-11-21, 16:20:
How about maybe you need to fiddle a bit with the AGP settings - under BIOS? I would try this […]
Show full quote

How about maybe you need to fiddle a bit with the AGP settings - under BIOS? I would try this

Also please try good clean of agp. Maybe there is some little dust on m/b

and this motherboard is known for capacitors plague, maybe some caps need replacement?

It is also a good choice to try this gpu on different motherboard you got

Personally, I would try to clean the AGP slot with a vacuum cleaner first

Solution: purchased a third Radeon 9600 and it works perfectly.

So I have 2 9600XT with minimal artifacts. 🙁