VOGONS

First post, by killrambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

is going to be my first post on this forum. Need some feedback from the owner, hope we have those on this forum, of the Dell Precision 530 530MT Precision Workstation.
I've got mine finally passing Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics memory test with raser RIMM cards. After the test (took around 45 mins or an hour) I rebooted my computer and got long beeps and no boot. Shut it down, opened case but sensed memory modules got super hot, could not hold my finger on the heat sink. Usual thing with RIMMs to get hot but stacking 8 modules all in the same close space with no fan (apparently) might by worrying me. Machine booted fine after 20 minutes. Also with no riser cards it was all good.

Obviously, I'm not going to run mem test all the time but it would be great if any owner could share their experience as well, if possible? Would be great to know behavior of other machines under the same conditions (case is lying horizontally).

Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics memory, requires 3 floppy 😅
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-sl/drive … e=precision-530

Thank you

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at the manuals I do not think the case design was good if using a RIMM riser, just not enough airflow. Another thing is that shroud that focuses on the adapters, not the cpu or ram (retarded IMHO).
I did not see if there was a front case fan, the docs have some limited info. if not I would add one if possible plus maybe figure out how to mod the back for better airflow too..... just my opinion...
Curious why they even considered a riser to add 4 more mem sockets, would think 4 onboard be enough considering it is a workstation, not a server.....(sometimes Dell did some dumb things 😁)
added: sorry cannot comment further on RIMM based boards other than I got rid of the two I had just because they sucked...again my opinion

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by killrambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. Risers do enable 4GB RAM, that's the only way to get 4GB of RIMM on 840 and 860, actually only way to get it for the machines of that are. I tried to do 2GB but got into "mostly always" swapping situation on win7 (after all updates) and I'm not using SSDs on this machine.

I have to add that case indeed has bad layout, especially taking into account that it is workstation and meant to be used for performance demanding tasks. Yet no vents it has at the top where RAM is located and CPU vent hood kills any opportunity to suck air, and they also separate expansion cards airflow inside the case. So memory got definitely disadvantaged. 🤣...

Still, if any owner of such rig reads and wishes to provide some extra feedback - please do so. Thank you