VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 386SX motherboard that POSTs fine to BIOS and boots fine to DOS using a floppy:

386SX POST.jpg
Filename
386SX POST.jpg
File size
67.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
386SX BIOS.jpg
Filename
386SX BIOS.jpg
File size
84.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
386SX Floppy Boot Normal Text.jpg
Filename
386SX Floppy Boot Normal Text.jpg
File size
89.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But when I attach a CF-IDE to the Primary IDE chain as master I get all kinds of garbled text after POST:

386SX CF Boot Garbled Text.jpg
Filename
386SX CF Boot Garbled Text.jpg
File size
139.4 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

What would cause such weird behaviour? I almost feel like something is messing with the framebuffer somehow, but how? These are the default options in BIOS Advanced CMOS Settings..

386SX BIOS Defaults.jpg
Filename
386SX BIOS Defaults.jpg
File size
181.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

not poor quality, simply ATA compliant.
Re: "Fixed" 386sx motherboard works but not with 16-bit VGA card Re: IDE/CF adapter causing screen corruption/missing characters

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am guessing simply snipping pin 28 off the cf ide connector will do the trick?

Reply 8 of 14, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a 486 that really doesnt like 80wire ide cables and refuses to identify my cf card with it.
As soon as i use a regular old 40 wire ide cable it intantly sees the cf card.

Have you tried another cable?

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 9 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-11, 13:00:

i have a 486 that really doesnt like 80wire ide cables and refuses to identify my cf card with it.
As soon as i use a regular old 40 wire ide cable it intantly sees the cf card.

Have you tried another cable?

A 40 stripe cable improves the situation somewhat, but there is still mising text.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 14, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-09-11, 13:41:

A 40 stripe cable improves the situation somewhat, but there is still mising text.

Another thing i had problems while using cf cards is the auto detect of the bios.
I cant remember if i had to set the card from LBA to CHS or the other way around to make it work.
I also cant remember if i had missing letters. The main issue was that the system ran a "dir" fine when booted from a floppy but at a regular boot it hang while executing the drivers in autoexec.bat/config.sys .
In the end i configured the card manually in the bios and ran a low level format from the bios. Then Fdisk/format the card from dos 6.22 .

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 11 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-11, 14:28:
Another thing i had problems while using cf cards is the auto detect of the bios. I cant remember if i had to set the card from […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2023-09-11, 13:41:

Another thing i had problems while using cf cards is the auto detect of the bios.
I cant remember if i had to set the card from LBA to CHS or the other way around to make it work.
I also cant remember if i had missing letters. The main issue was that the system ran a "dir" fine when booted from a floppy but at a regular boot it hang while executing the drivers in autoexec.bat/config.sys .
In the end i configured the card manually in the bios and ran a low level format from the bios. Then Fdisk/format the card from dos 6.22 .

This BIOS has no auto detect, the CHS values are set as Type 47..

Reply 12 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-11, 14:28:

Be careful with low-level format feature in BIOS.
It's dangerous under most circumstances. It's not like a soft format, at all.
The feature is there for 16-Bit MFM/RLL controller boards without an on-board BIOS.
- On 8-Bit systems debug was used to call low-level routines stored in ROM.
On an IDE HDD or a CF card, a low-level format can have unpredictable effects.
It can be that the firmware does weird things with the sectors, rendering the hardware unusable.
I rendered at least one CF unusable that way.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2023-09-11, 12:30:

Removing Pin 28 from the CF-IDE adapter did not fix the issue..

It's just an idea, but if it's not a hardware issue, then maybe it's a software issue?

The ATA-2 specification (Fast ATA, Enhanced IDE) changed a lot of things back then.
It could be that the HDD routines in the BIOS have issues with that.
Edit: https://www.os2museum.com/wp/how-to-please-wdctrl/

It's essentially IBM's AT Fixed Disk Adapter (WD1003 command set) and/or ATA (IDE, AT Bus) all they know.
That's why "HDD Auto Detection" is missing, also, it's a future ATA feature and not available on MFM/RLL controllers yet.

If BIOS is the issue, using XTIDE Universal BIOS could help here.
I had a similar issue in which it did, at least. It was a Schneider Tower AT with an outdated BIOS..
Whenever it was meant to boot DOS, it hung.

Anyway, this is just an idea, of course. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont think DOS (therefore bios) touches disk while displaying "enter new date".

>Removing Pin 28 from the CF-IDE adapter did not fix the issue.

Just to make sure, storage still works? Try older CF card.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction