VOGONS

First post, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I've got to be missing some sort of patch or something.

This is what's going on, I copy files to the drive, install them, it goes great most of the time.
Then, randomly files that did work are now corrupt.

For instance:
1. CAB files for windows cryptography are now corrupt.
2. Doom and Doom 2 while initially installed and working now both fail, first, it was complaining about a resource file with an invalid name, now it's saying 'DOOM2.EXE' is not a wattom program.
3. Some text files that used to be readable, are now garbage.
4. It took 3 times to install creative Awe64 drives, the first two the folder C:\program files\creative\drv became corrupt after the installer crashed.

I did use a random Win98 SE image, the drive is newish.
I used the unofficial SP3 (can't install direct X 9 at all.. no matter how many different copies i try).

1. Memory test is fine, 512MB PC3200
2. Board is a P4 2.8Northwood, 845 chipset
3. Video ATI X800 XT - This took driver reinstalls to get stable and the 512MB patch
4. PSU tests good
5. ATA 100 with a SATA to IDE adapter <-generic from China.

I suspect it may be something to do with the SSD / trim support and I'm tempted to wipe the drive and start over but... I don't know the root of the corruption.

So I'm going to have to rebuild, not sure what I should do. Swap the on-board for a SATA 3114 with drivers or should I be looking at something else.

It's very stable, except when installing software (writing to disk).

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 1 of 8, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That drive is just too large for Windows 98. Keep the partitions below 32GB.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would start from the basics by testing the machine with Memtest86. I've used 120 gigabyte SSDs with several Win98 machines and I've never had issues like what you are describing.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RobDos wrote on 2023-09-12, 19:09:

I did use a random Win98 SE image

Just for kicks, try it with a clean, known-good (and non-pirated) copy so we at least know you're building upon a solid foundation.

I'd rule out TRIM issues, since that is something to be triggered by the OS and W98 flat out won't do that since it doesn't even know how to. I'm with Munx in that it's probably simply too large a drive. There's some rloew patches you could try if you're hell bent on sticking with the current one.

Reply 4 of 8, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-09-12, 19:35:

I would start from the basics by testing the machine with Memtest86. I've used 120 gigabyte SSDs with several Win98 machines and I've never had issues like what you are describing.

I have other systems with 120gB (my P3) and no issues like this, I had similar issues when I did a 1tB but not with a 120gb.

I tried a 300gb drive, split c;: 60GB, 110, 110 and in Win 98 it worked, in dos mode the two 110's appeared in fdisk normally but then wouldn't assign a drive letter. I used a different type of SATA adapter.

Might need to take a break on this.

my last thought, the intel chipset isn't playing nice with these adapters.

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My supicion falls on this, first and foremost : "5. ATA 100 with a SATA to IDE adapter <-generic from China."

EDIT : ICH4 and newer based IDE controller pretty much only play ball reliably with Marvell based adapters, AFAICR .

If the board is new enough to support LBA up to at least 127GB (LBA28) and there are no hardware faults (i.e. bad capacitors), it should work .

Windows 98 can create and works with 127GB FAT32 drives [1], even when using the standard IDE driver based around ESDI_506.PDR based driver .

[1]
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previ ... echnet.10)

Last edited by darry on 2023-09-12, 23:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RobDos wrote on 2023-09-12, 22:56:
I have other systems with 120gB (my P3) and no issues like this, I had similar issues when I did a 1tB but not with a 120gb. […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-09-12, 19:35:

I have other systems with 120gB (my P3) and no issues like this, I had similar issues when I did a 1tB but not with a 120gb.

I tried a 300gb drive, split c;: 60GB, 110, 110 and in Win 98 it worked, in dos mode the two 110's appeared in fdisk normally but then wouldn't assign a drive letter. I used a different type of SATA adapter.

Might need to take a break on this.

my last thought, the intel chipset isn't playing nice with these adapters.

It could very well be an adapter issue, not all SATA to IDE adapters are equal. You mentioned a Sil3114 SATA PCI card, that would be worth a try. In my experience they work fine in some motherboards, and won't work at all in others, but maybe you'll get lucky. When I do an install I usually use Super FDISK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ivV5tyfRs

Reply 7 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, the unofficial SP3 caused enough issues for me the one time I tried it that I've never bothered with it since, so I'd avoid it if I were you.