VOGONS

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So just had a few question in regards to installing a CD-rom or DVD rom on Dos OS

I installed Win98se with built in dos and boot directly to dos.
However running into a few issues. Dos is not detecting my DVD-ROM IDE ,

I used Phil computer lab drivers and already have my config.sys and autoexec.bat setup to play games with sound.

I set the CD rom drive for Slave but my bios is not detecting the drive so was wondering if i just install to the IDE connector on the sound blaster pro? I am running a pentium I/one machine

I would prefer to just forgo installing a CD-rom and just setting up a way to read .iso, .bin but this sounds more involved when you have a game with at least 2 cd-rom discs?

Or do I need to buy a CD-rom from a certain list of older hardware that is compatible with DOS /win98se to make this work correctly?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 9, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-09-16, 14:30:

You say DVD drive at first, then CD drive. Which is it then?

Does it show up in windows 98?

EDIT: This is the wrong sub-forum for this thread.

This is a dos forum and how to get dos games working on cd rom

If you read my post I mention cd rom or dvd rom .
Not sure how you can't understand or comprehend these questions.

Reply 3 of 9, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never installed a CD or DVD ROM drive that wasn't picked up in DOS. Given it's not seen in BIOS either, then I would suspect a problem with that IDE channel. The IDE channel on your sound card would be worth a shot.

If you would prefer to just mount images, I'm a fan of SHSUCD:

Re: ISO on\for DOS?

But you won't be able to stream CD audio, and I'm not sure how to approach games with multiple CDs.

Reply 4 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unrealcpu wrote on 2023-09-16, 23:43:

Oh, that's pretty easy with how random you write. For starters, first you mention DOS not detecting a DVD drive, then the BIOS not detecting a CD drive. Are those one and the same, or different pieces of hardware? Some people use them interchangeably, so there's no way to tell. If the latter, can you confirm that the DVD drive gets detected in the BIOS, with only DOS failing?

Have you tried the "cable select" setting? Or different cables maybe? Is/are the optical drive(s) on the first or second channel; on its/their own or with another device (most likely your HDD)?

Lastly, this is in fact the wrong forum - "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware". You haven't mentioned any game, and aren't using modern hardware. This would be better off in Marvin's General Old Hardware. But what's done is done, so... meh.

Reply 5 of 9, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2023-09-17, 00:31:

Have you tried the "cable select" setting? Or different cables maybe? Is/are the optical drive(s) on the first or second channel; on its/their own or with another device (most likely your HDD)?

Good call - these are all things to check out before assuming an IDE channel problem.

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I take it this was moved from a diff section of the forum...

Unrealcpu wrote on 2023-09-16, 01:46:
I installed Win98se with built in dos and boot directly to dos. However running into a few issues. Dos is not detecting my DVD […]
Show full quote

I installed Win98se with built in dos and boot directly to dos.
However running into a few issues. Dos is not detecting my DVD-ROM IDE ,

I used Phil computer lab drivers and already have my config.sys and autoexec.bat setup to play games with sound.

I set the CD rom drive for Slave but my bios is not detecting the drive so was wondering if i just install to the IDE connector on the sound blaster pro? I am running a pentium I/one machine
Thanks

You need to give us more info: make/model of motherboard or computer. Make and model of the IDE DVD rom
Not all Pentium BIOS will detect a IDE CDROM, most do but if say a Pentium with a 1994 bios (pre ATAPI spec) then it generally will not.
If you have just one hard drive you should connect the cdrom to the secondary IDE port as Master if your board has dual channel IDE ports.
Yes you could connect it to your Sound blaster card but think it better you give us more info about your system and the dvdrom drive....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-09-17, 01:36:

Seems OP has abandoned this thread and started necroing others instead 😆

Hot tip: It's easier to get help if you are not so difficult to help.

True ^^^ 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 9, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unrealcpu wrote on 2023-09-16, 23:43:

If you read my post I mention cd rom or dvd rom .

So is it one drive, or you changed drives?

You installed windows 98, so it was detected, but then you wrote it doesn't show up in the BIOS.

If it's only in DOS, the culprit could be the disc driver file you're using.