VOGONS

First post, by ChrisNonyminus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out why Windows XP's installer kept BSODing on my motherboard -- it needs a textmode driver for SATA (Weird thing is this happens even when the sata controller is turned off and I'm using IDE, however). The driver must match the chipset used on the southbridge (VIA VT8237); I tried slipstreaming Intel's AHCI drivers and that didn't work.
Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any AHCI drivers for Windows XP for this particular chipset.
Can anyone help me?
Note that there is a RAID driver, but that didn't help.
Also, yes I am using a SATA1 HDD and it is being detected by the BIOS.

Reply 3 of 14, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I remembered the F key wrong, it's an F6 floppy, not F8...

Look at, say, this - https://drivers.eu/Mainboards/Gigabyte/GA-7VM … 28rev.%201.0%29 - that suggests a F6 floppy for that Via chipset, might be worth trying to slipstream into your XP.

Reply 5 of 14, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisNonyminus wrote on 2023-09-17, 21:22:
I found out why Windows XP's installer kept BSODing on my motherboard -- it needs a textmode driver for SATA (Weird thing is thi […]
Show full quote

I found out why Windows XP's installer kept BSODing on my motherboard -- it needs a textmode driver for SATA (Weird thing is this happens even when the sata controller is turned off and I'm using IDE, however). The driver must match the chipset used on the southbridge (VIA VT8237); I tried slipstreaming Intel's AHCI drivers and that didn't work.
Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any AHCI drivers for Windows XP for this particular chipset.
Can anyone help me?
Note that there is a RAID driver, but that didn't help.
Also, yes I am using a SATA1 HDD and it is being detected by the BIOS.

You probably need to look for related IDE drivers if VT8237's SATA port really needs one. I've used some VT8237 motherboards but couldn't remember requiring such drivers.

VT8237 doesn't have AHCI -- besides IDE, the only other mode is RAID which definitely needs a driver.

Reply 6 of 14, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisNonyminus wrote on 2023-09-17, 22:24:

That doesn't help. Those are the RAID drivers, too, and they can't load in textmode in nLite for some reason anyway.

You need install VIA Serial ATA RAID controller driver for VT8237, no AHCI. Here is step by step from Readme.txt:

2. Install Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, or Server 2003

* Copy all files and directories of DriverDisk\SATA folder to a floppy disk. Make sure
following directories and files are copied into floppy disk.

A:\
\2003IA32
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
\Win2000
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
\Winnt40
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
\WinXP
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
Txtsetup.oem
VT8237

* Boot system from OS installing CD-ROM.

* Make sure VT6420 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST.

* Press "F6" when OS installer starts running.

* Insert floppy disk.

* Choose the OS device driver wanted for loading.

* Install OS.

* Run setup.exe after OS is installed.

Attachments

• Filename
    DriverDisk.7z
    File size
    917.92 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by ChrisNonyminus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2023-09-18, 10:31:
You need install VIA Serial ATA RAID controller driver for VT8237, no AHCI. Here is step by step from Readme.txt: […]
Show full quote
ChrisNonyminus wrote on 2023-09-17, 22:24:

That doesn't help. Those are the RAID drivers, too, and they can't load in textmode in nLite for some reason anyway.

You need install VIA Serial ATA RAID controller driver for VT8237, no AHCI. Here is step by step from Readme.txt:

2. Install Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, or Server 2003

* Copy all files and directories of DriverDisk\SATA folder to a floppy disk. Make sure
following directories and files are copied into floppy disk.

A:\
\2003IA32
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
\Win2000
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
\Winnt40
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
\WinXP
VIAsraid.inf
VIAsraid.sys
VIAsraid.cat
Txtsetup.oem
VT8237

* Boot system from OS installing CD-ROM.

* Make sure VT6420 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST.

* Press "F6" when OS installer starts running.

* Insert floppy disk.

* Choose the OS device driver wanted for loading.

* Install OS.

* Run setup.exe after OS is installed.

Welp, guess I need a floppy drive and some blank disks.
I could probably just use a SATA to IDE adapter if IDE would somehow work; that'd be cheaper....

Reply 9 of 14, by ChrisNonyminus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2023-09-18, 13:07:

You can use nlite.

A floppy drive is handy to have though. Sometimes USB floppy drives show up at thrift stores.

I already tried nlite with those exact drivers though, and I still get the 0x0000007b BSOD.

Reply 10 of 14, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisNonyminus wrote on 2023-09-18, 16:14:

You can use nlite.

A floppy drive is handy to have though. Sometimes USB floppy drives show up at thrift stores.

I already tried nlite with those exact drivers though, and I still get the 0x0000007b BSOD.

Which motherboard it is? In BIOS setup isn´t option SATA mode "IDE" or "Legacy"?

Reply 11 of 14, by ChrisNonyminus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2023-09-18, 16:33:
ChrisNonyminus wrote on 2023-09-18, 16:14:

You can use nlite.

Which motherboard it is? In BIOS setup isn´t option SATA mode "IDE" or "Legacy"?

K8V-MX/S, and there is no such option; the only SATA related option is to disable or enable the SATA bootrom. The BIOS is dated 2003, by the way.

Reply 12 of 14, by ChrisNonyminus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It no longer BSODs now. The solution? I had to boot off of a burned CD-R (using a USB DVD drive as I don't have an IDE DVD drive yet) instead of using a usb flash drive.
Time to install Windows XP! 😁