VOGONS

Windows 7 on 586-class PCs

Topic actions

First post, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, what's the latest release of Windows 7 that works properly on 586?

I remember doing it years ago and it (slowly) worked fine on a Pentium 233 MMX, but I'm trying to install Win 7 Pro SP1 on a K6-2/550 and having issues. It gets most of the way through setup, but then the system hangs eventually. Usually somewhere around where I need to enter the product key. Sometimes it happens before, sometimes after, at some random point.

Did they do something in SP1 that breaks compatibility? Do I need to use original RTM?

It's not a RAM issue, I have 512 MB on it.

Reply 1 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did it on a k6-3+

If I recall RTM didn’t work but sp1 did and you need 384mb of ram minimum unless you patch the iso in a hex editor.

It’s worthlessly slow. Not really worth it other than to say you did.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 28, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before the fire I still had my Asus P55T2P4 with 512 megabytes of EDO and a K6-2+, and I decided to try Windows 7 on it just for the heck of it. I think it was still in the process of installing after two days of letting it run, and I gave up.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 28, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yeah it's definitely pretty slow, but I have this thing where I like to push old system to their absolute limits. It's "fun". I'd install Windows 11 if didn't need NX, TPM and SSE!

As I said, I've done it before on a P233 MMX and it was painfully slow. I've never done it on a fast K6-2 though. I was kind of assuming a 550 MHz would at least be kind of usable. Not the case eh? It got through the setup at least to the point of asking for product key in around 30-ish minutes which is better than I expected.

I'll try a different SP1 ISO and see what happens.

Reply 4 of 28, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UselessSoftware wrote on 2023-09-19, 01:08:

Oh yeah it's definitely pretty slow, but I have this thing where I like to push old system to their absolute limits. It's "fun". I'd install Windows 11 if didn't need NX, TPM and SSE!

11 doesn't need TPM - if you turn off the checks, it will install fine on, say, a C2Q with no TPM. That's the oldest machine I've tried it on...

It does, however, need x64... and I think some early x64 CPUs might be missing some required instructions.

Reply 5 of 28, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this working.

Turns out there was some issue with the NIC that was causing the system to hang. I removed it and replaced it with another one. Everything works fine, nice and stable. So far...

Reply 6 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 good for you.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 28, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of my old super 7 boards had 768mb

Unofficially I think it would go full 1.5gb as it did support 512mb dimms although at the time I only had one.

If I had to guess 7 would run better with more ram

Reply 8 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-09-20, 02:55:

Unofficially I think it would go full 1.5gb as it did support 512mb dimms although at the time I only had one.

It’s possible, but even a k6-3+ is horribly bogged down by 7’s bloat.

On 256mb 7 was able to memory manage down to I think like 120mb of ram idle if I recall. But yea, I think you are correct in that it would enjoy more ram to stretch its legs into.

Really, 586 stuff just needs to stick to 9x/ME if you want good responsiveness. Honestly it’s impressive how much faster even windows is under those processors if you stay with 9x/ME

I have a dual 233mmx setup that I’m gonna try 2k on because I wanna see how much better I can get games to run with the lighter windows footprint. Too bad there was never a smp 9x/me variant.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 28, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-09-20, 02:55:

It would definitely help a ton. At idle, on a stock 7 Pro SP1 install, I'm using about 260 MB here and 2-3% CPU usage (if you don't include what CPU taskmgr.exe is using itself).

A couple of programs running on top of that could have the 512 MB maxed out pretty easily. I need to disable unnecessary services, but I think much of it is just the kernel, under the hood, is more demanding.

Sphere478 wrote on 2023-09-20, 03:06:
It’s possible, but even a k6-3+ is horribly bogged down by 7’s bloat. […]
Show full quote

On 256mb 7 was able to memory manage down to I think like 120mb of ram idle if I recall. But yea, I think you are correct in that it would enjoy more ram to stretch its legs into.

Really, 586 stuff just needs to stick to 9x/ME if you want good responsiveness. Honestly it’s impressive how much faster even windows is under those processors if you stay with 9x/ME

I have a dual 233mmx setup that I’m gonna try 2k on because I wanna see how much better I can get games to run with the lighter windows footprint. Too bad there was never a smp 9x/me variant.

I'm pretty happy with Windows 2000 performance even on high end Pentium MMX chips. 200-233 MHz handles it pretty well. I'm running 2k server on a P200 MMX OC'd to 225 (using server so I have terminal services) and it even plays games pretty well.

XP is where it starts to feel a little bloaty to me on a socket 7.

Let us know how it runs on your dual 233. 😀

That might even be good with XP honestly.

Reply 10 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m really bummed that we will never see windows 7 on a dual 233mmx as I don’t believe any board supporting dual pentium 1 ever had (I forget what it’s called, some sort of thing they introduced on the 430tx south bridge that I think was for power management?) trying to remember.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 28, by UselessSoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-09-20, 03:23:

I’m really bummed that we will never see windows 7 on a dual 233mmx as I don’t believe any board supporting dual pentium 1 ever had (I forget what it’s called, some sort of thing they introduced on the 430tx south bridge that I think was for power management?) trying to remember.

ACPI

Yeah that's a shame, I'd love to see that.

I wonder if removing the requirement from 7 is is something that some highly dedicated retronaut would be willing to look into.

Reply 13 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool 😎👍

Reminds me of https://www.winhistory.de/more/386/winq.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 28, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I experimented this as well, though the lowest I went was a Skt 462 Duron on a ECS K7VZA (KT133), and it surprisingly ran usable enough. A FX5200 later and I had Aero too.

I suppose I could try running it on a 440LX machine or even my very K6-2+ 550 machine... but I really am clueless to removing the ACPI and RAM checks. (aside from dropping 2x256SDR in the MVP3 board I have and praying it detects it all)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 15 of 28, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-20, 04:33:

Cool 😎👍

Reminds me of https://www.winhistory.de/more/386/winq.htm

Yes, but there's a fault on that page. I did run Windows NT 3.51 on a 486/33 with 5 MB RAM only. I'm not sure whether I have needed those 8 MB which were quoted during the installation process...

Reply 16 of 28, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-09-20, 03:06:

[...]

No way is 7 going to run well on a system that slow, but it was far from bloated. At release, Windows 7 ran a lot better on RAM and CPU-limited low-end hardware (Atom-based netbooks were all the rage around then) than XP did, at least what XP had become after SP2 and 3. And let's not even mention Vista - even a PC that could run Crysis acceptably felt slow on that monstrotity.

Reply 17 of 28, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UselessSoftware wrote on 2023-09-18, 23:32:

512MB RAM is very little for Windows 7.
So I would not try below 1GB, so the socket 7 platform is out.
But I understand you are just checking if it is possible.
Like Windows XP on a 486-Pentium Overdrive. That "runs", too.

Reply 18 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-09-20, 15:42:
512MB RAM is very little for Windows 7. So I would not try below 1GB, so the socket 7 platform is out. But I understand you are […]
Show full quote
UselessSoftware wrote on 2023-09-18, 23:32:

512MB RAM is very little for Windows 7.
So I would not try below 1GB, so the socket 7 platform is out.
But I understand you are just checking if it is possible.
Like Windows XP on a 486-Pentium Overdrive. That "runs", too.

IMHO, 512MB is barely enough for XP (SP2/3).
At home we had 768MB in that Pentium III in ~2004, I vaguely remember.
By 2006-2008, it were 4 GB in another PC running XP SP2.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 28, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still fail to see how people come up with these numbers.
I've ran XP SP2 and SP3 on as old as Deschutes 350MHz and 256MB of RAM with no issues.

The key here is how speedy your hard drive is. Trust me, it sounds weird, but it plays an important role.

For example - same machine (Luckystar 6BX2, P2 350, 256MB SDRAM) struggled with a 1.6GB WD Caviar 21600. Not just XP - any OS ran dog slow.
The exact same machine flied once I installed a bigger and newer Maxtor 6E040L0 and a BIOS patch.
Of course, this was before the internet updated so much that it made browsing on XP unusable due to TLS issues.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB