VOGONS

First post, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I’ve found this motherboard for sale:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … 00-01#downloads

Have a couple of questions if someone could help me to decide wether this is a good motherboard for my needs.

I do have a PIII 650 with a Voodoo 3 2000 which works great.
But I need one more retro PC to run some LAN multiplayer games and that also can run some older timing sensitive games.

I’m thinking about a MMX 233 since setmul seems to be able to offer a lot of variable settings in regards to slowdown.

Would it be possible to run a VIA C3 933Mhz on this motherboard?

The reason for the C3 is that perhaps it’s possible to run games up to Unreal tournament while still offer quite a lot of different settings with setmul.
Or is the c3 to slow for UT?

I do have a vooodoo 3 1000 16MB version(a bit slower than the v3 2000) that I tend to use

Reply 2 of 6, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nizce wrote on 2023-09-21, 17:50:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

I’ve found this motherboard for sale:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … 00-01#downloads

Have a couple of questions if someone could help me to decide wether this is a good motherboard for my needs.

I do have a PIII 650 with a Voodoo 3 2000 which works great.
But I need one more retro PC to run some LAN multiplayer games and that also can run some older timing sensitive games.

I’m thinking about a MMX 233 since setmul seems to be able to offer a lot of variable settings in regards to slowdown.

Would it be possible to run a VIA C3 933Mhz on this motherboard?

The reason for the C3 is that perhaps it’s possible to run games up to Unreal tournament while still offer quite a lot of different settings with setmul.
Or is the c3 to slow for UT?

I do have a vooodoo 3 1000 16MB version(a bit slower than the v3 2000) that I tend to use

The C3 is fine for ut99 as long as it's paired with a decent video card and a mainboard that fully supports it.

Reply 4 of 6, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Older timing sensitive games" with a 933mhz cpu?

There are c3 motherboards on ebay, as well as rhin clients. My Wyse c3 based (iirc) tc wouldn't boot NT under certain circumstances. Do a search for "industrial motherboard" or "industrial computer". Some items are spanking new last I checked.

Reply 5 of 6, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-21, 20:30:

"Older timing sensitive games" with a 933mhz cpu?

There are c3 motherboards on ebay, as well as rhin clients. My Wyse c3 based (iirc) tc wouldn't boot NT under certain circumstances. Do a search for "industrial motherboard" or "industrial computer". Some items are spanking new last I checked.

C3 cpus have an unlocked multiplyer that you can set trough software, on the fly. Some can go as low as 3x, so at 66mhz fsb you get 200mhz. Disabling cache as well gives you 386 performance.

Most socket 370 mainboards support the C3 "samuel" core. The Nemiah and Erza cores are fully supported only by some boards, like the Epox ep-3vsa2, Iwill VD133Pro, Abit VH6-II and VH6T to name a few. A VIA VT82C694X or 694T with an ISA slot paired with a VIA C3 makes for a great 1990-2000 gaming pc.