VOGONS

First post, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

My laptop is booting off a floppy and then running a PCMCIA as C:

Everything works absolutely fine. But if I need a specific utility I don't have a DOS folder etc.

It's not the end of the world as everything like Windows runs. But I can't run Format to format a floppy etc. Somethings like Scandisk I've copied over.

On the DOS 6.22 floppies are files for example format.ex_ is it as simple as just copying the files from a to c and replacing _ with the correct letter?

Cheers

Reply 2 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

files on the installation discs that end with _ are compressed, so no, you can't just copy them over. IIRC you need to use "expand.exe" to uncompress them. I may have the file name wrong though.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 15, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EXPAND C:\SOMEPATH\SOMEFILE.EX_ C:\SOMEOTHERPATH\SOMEFILE.EXE

Just that simple. It DOES NOT accept wildcards.

I suggest using a batch file--

EG:

DIR *.??_ > LISTING.TXT

Edit LISTING.TXT

Use the list of files ending in an underscore, to build a comprehensive list of EXPAND invocations, and cut off all the cruft.

Save it as some batch file, eg, "MANUDOS.BAT" or something.

Run it.

Profit.

Reference, for the most part, these are the compressed->expanded extensions, as far as I can remember.

.CO_ -> .COM
.EX_ -> .EXE
.HL_ -> .HLP
.DR_ -> .DRV
.TX_ -> .TXT
.DL_ -> .DLL (MSAV has some, iirc)
.IN_ -> Either .INI or .INF, caveat emptor!
.BI_ -> .BIN
.SY_ -> .SYS

Reply 6 of 15, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to identify what version of DOS is running?

The reason I ask is the ver command just seems to return text, ie it tells me MS Dos 6.22 but I think this is due to the command coming from Dos 6.22 rather than what's running.

Most of the files from my DOS 6.22 disks are working fine. But some do trigger "Incorrect Dos version" and so it would be interesting to know.

Also as I'm running off a bootable floppy is there a particular outdated file in the config.sys or autoexec.bat that would cause the 'incorrect dos version'. I tried dropping the command.com file from Dos 6.22 onto the Floppy but that caused loads of issues so I'm back using the command.com on there.

Cheers.

Reply 7 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's an utility called "DOSVER".
It can display and set the current DOS version.
What it can't do, however, is changing the OEM bit. So MS-DOS stays MS-DOS, DR-DOS stays DR-DOS etc.
MSD can also display the DOS version.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 15, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ldare1000 wrote on 2023-09-23, 13:44:

Most of the files from my DOS 6.22 disks are working fine. But some do trigger "Incorrect Dos version" and so it would be interesting to know.

Which files are the ones triggering that message?

SETVER can be used to deal with the version numbering if it is available.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 9 of 15, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you already have a boot floppy. Just copy all the files to c:\DOS and put c:\DOS in the path in autoexec.bat

Most needed files are there and the ones missing... use expand.

To see what DOS version is running, just use command: ver

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 15, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-09-23, 14:44:

If you already have a boot floppy. Just copy all the files to c:\DOS and put c:\DOS in the path in autoexec.bat

Ver says dos 6.22 but I think that's because the ver command is from the dos 6.22 disks rather than the actual version running as some files from the dos 6.22 disks say " incorrect dos version"

Reply 11 of 15, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ver says dos 6.22 but I think that's because the ver command is from the dos 6.22 disks rather than the actual version running as some files from the dos 6.22 disks say " incorrect dos version"

Ver is an internal command, embedded within command.com. Which files give you the incorrect dos version message?

Reply 12 of 15, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ldare1000 wrote on 2023-09-23, 19:09:
kixs wrote on 2023-09-23, 14:44:

Then you need to get a DOS 6.22 disks and manually expand and replace the wrong files.

Here is a list of files on one boot disk. You don't need much more.
https://packet-radio.net/ms-dos-6-22-files/

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 13 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back a few years ago helped someone do similar and attached some batch files to do the expanding. Installing DOS 6.22 Setup Disks without Floppy drive
Note all MS DOS 6.22 files have year 1994 and time stamp of 6:22 AM, if MS DOS 6.20 then 6:20 AM 🤣.......If you need a set of DOS 6.22 disk images you can get them from REMOVED

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-12-07, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14 of 15, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-09-23, 14:36:
ldare1000 wrote on 2023-09-23, 13:44:

Which files are the ones triggering that message?

SETVER can be used to deal with the version numbering if it is available.

I'm fairly certain SETVER ironically was one. The laptop is in peices at the moment having the caps replaced.