How about a new remake of old cases?

Topic actions

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

you all know about the surveys I recently posted to satisfy my curiosity about fellow vintage-computing people's opinion on the topics I inquired about.

Specifically, one of the surveys was about: Would you enjoy brand new identical remakes of old vintage hardware or software products?

You have made good points, some in opposition, some in favor to this. Interestingly, the same survey gave opposite trends on this forum (mostly anglophone - north American people) compared to a sample of Italian people: Americans had a much higher "interested" quota, whereas Italians had a higher quota of "I would not buy" choices. But I digress...

Many objections from both samples of people were about the financial sustainability of the thing (although that problem was beyond the scope of the survey, which was only focused on people's preferences, desires, and emotions, rather than the real feasibility of the project), or other technical issues.

But what about the cases?

I mean, that might be a win-win!

Old, classical vintage cases are almost completely gone and impossible to find anymore. The very few one can find are beyond expensive, sold for ridiculous prices.

They are yellowish and clearly old, most are cracked...

What about brand new remakes of old cases, like these models:

rd0TWRg.jpg
HTHrCMq.jpg
7zk05ga.jpg
PU5vDqm.jpg

Forget all the technical impossibilities of pulling out ancient specs and electrical schemes, re-make old production lines based on different processes... a case is basically a box, no need for high tech.

Imagine brand new cases, modern materials, identical look and aesthetics, with even a rear metal panel replaceable: AT / ATX, and the mobo support working for both AT and ATX standards. Whatever piece of old / retro hardware you've got or might get in any way at any time, you can simply go on any computer store, physical or online, open the category "vintage cases" and buy the model you want, which will easily adapt to virtually any hardware of any era.

Identical look, maybe a little adapter for the display if a mobo is too modern to provide the speed to a display, or, as an alternative, a little tiny chip that you connect to the display and set the speed you want it to show, and you can build your system, which will take another 20-30 years to get yellowish again.

Would you buy those?

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 2 of 81, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would buy them. But for small cases it would have to be 'real' AT, because they can be build smaller than ATX. The small ones in your images don't have room for an ATX board so a replaceable panel won't work.

Reply 3 of 81, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2023-09-23, 12:59:

I would buy them. But for small cases it would have to be 'real' AT, because they can be build smaller than ATX. The small ones in your images don't have room for an ATX board so a replaceable panel won't work.

Or... they could be done similar to the transitional era of the AT-ATX cases.
Y'know, the ones where you had the PSU mounted above the CPU.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 81, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-23, 13:32:

Well, then a similar AT case could be built even smaller 😀

Reply 5 of 81, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanSolo wrote on 2023-09-23, 13:36:
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-23, 13:32:

Well, then a similar AT case could be built even smaller 😀

You must be having baby AT in mind, since AT isn't that small.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 81, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😳 oh wow! I would never have imagined that!

I mean, yes they are not full-towers, but still mid/mini-towers. Are you sure that ATX mobos won't fit in those?

If you're sure, then I guess I would guess just 5 cm taller might suffice to compensate. They'd still be almost identical to the original retro thing...

Reply 7 of 81, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-23, 12:33:

Forget all the technical impossibilities of pulling out ancient specs and electrical schemes, re-make old production lines based on different processes... a case is basically a box, no need for high tech.

There's a lot of engineering that goes into design of a computer case, coupled with complexity of manufacturing something out of a combination of various metal and plastic components, each of which would likely have to be specifically fabricated for the specific case(s) in question.

Inventory management and shipping also becomes a challenge given the physical size of the cases.

In short, this is more complicated than people realize.

Would you buy those?

It's less a question of whether people would buy them versus how much would they be willing to pay.

There have been a couple examples of retro-modern cases for sale, but they aren't cheap. You can probably expect anywhere from $300 to $500 (USD) for such a case, including shipping.

I can still acquire entire retro systems (case and components) for less than that.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 81, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-09-23, 18:01:

It's less a question of whether people would buy them versus how much would they be willing to pay.

There have been a couple examples of retro-modern cases for sale, but they aren't cheap. You can probably expect anywhere from $300 to $500 (USD) for such a case, including shipping.

I can still acquire entire retro systems (case and components) for less than that.

Well, assume manufacturing wasn't an issue, and it's not our problem, and assume the price would be the same as that of a current modern basic simple case you can buy on Amazon.

Would you buy it?

Reply 9 of 81, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-23, 19:18:

Well, assume manufacturing wasn't an issue, and it's not our problem, and assume the price would be the same as that of a current modern basic simple case you can buy on Amazon.

Would you buy it?

Sure, if we're talking about a complete fantasy scenario where such a case was available, was of decent quality, and was available for a sub-$100 price range.

But that's a fantasy scenario that ignores the realities of manufacturing, logistics, and supply and demand. It's akin to asking me if I'd buy a Ferrari if it was available for the price of a Honda.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 10 of 81, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't looked at the other thread. Only read half of the op. Things tend to be expensive when they're not mass produced. So no I wouldn't pay anymore them 30 usd or so for a beige case. I miss some of my old cases for sure. I had a mid tower that had NYCE stamped/embossed on the bottom. Big letters.

I like findimg cool older stuff. But trying to relive glory days in perpetuity doesn't make sense. Ican see (somewhat) reproducing Commodore 64s or Amigas.

And it's not like the industrious among us could build our own retro case if necessary (?).

Reply 11 of 81, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the early 2010's, Asian companies were offering reproductions of the older desktop case designs from the 80's/90's PC market. I saw a bunch of them on Newegg, way back when. They shifted away from that, when the market went to laptops and gaming PCs, because there was no money in it and retailers were only interested in offering gaming cases to the masses.

Reply 13 of 81, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To me, the most realistic scenario would be to adapt an existing ATX model case to hold an AT board and design 3D-printable front bezels to mimic iconic AT ones in a way that fits on chassis of the ATX case. A bit ot crinkle finish beige paint on the sides and it's done.

Reply 14 of 81, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And if my opinion means much, some of those cases pictured aren't necessarily all that. Beauty in the eye of the beholder. I found a Cyrix based pc somewhere, on the road probably, and it was plainer then any of the above. Loved that piece of crap. Don't know why exactly. It was free, it worked right up to the point when it stpped. It was tiny and cutesome. Wouldn't mind findimg another 1. I mentioned it was free?

Reply 17 of 81, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-23, 22:10:

The idea isnt that far off from reality...
https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/

Yup, it's do-able, but it's expensive. Those cases are over $200 USD before shipping.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 18 of 81, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
igna78 wrote on 2023-09-23, 22:21:

I love the old cases, desktop, middle-tower and tower. I love the MHz display in the front of the case. And YES, I’ll pay for a modern-old case!

Just a question to all .
How are the tower forms called in your country?

I know them as Mini Tower, Midi (or Mid) Tower and Big tower.
Here (in germany) Mini has 2 5 1/4 bays , mid 3 or 4 and big 5+.

For me a PC can and should be as big as possible 😁

I think only the steel used in one of my big tower cases would cost like 300 Euros today 😁

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 19 of 81, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That fourth one is a beauty. Not too large, what's there is chock full of functionality, tasteful color scheme with no unnecessary black bits, my god it even has a watermark. And a proper power switch! I've come to hate the ATX "idiot button" with a passion... Machine's hung again, and you gotta sit there and keep the fucker pressed for what feels like an eternity just to switch it off. If the remake cases were to integrate a bit of circuitry to emulate that even with an ATX PSU then that'd be a massive plus for me.

The other ones, eh, nothing special. Might buy if the price is right. The main thing with newly minted old cases would be less brittle plastic. And no scuff marks - but then again a small amount of battle scars can be attractive too.