VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

Out of curiosity, I googled ISA VGA cards and there actually is a card being made nowadays, it's on AliExpress.

Ready for the price.... (Eur = USD)

epBmPz9.jpg

This reminds me of the insanely priced ACARD SCSI to IDE converters...

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 16, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somehow it doesn't look new, sorry.
I've seen other pictures of this card, using tantalum caps (why would you do that nowadays), wear on the ISA connector pads, bit of rust on the VGA connector, et cetera.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2023-09-25, 08:15:

Somehow it doesn't look new, sorry.
I've seen other pictures of this card, using tantalum caps (why would you do that nowadays), wear on the ISA connector pads, bit of rust on the VGA connector, et cetera.

😳 that price and it's not even new????

("tantalum caps"...?? I'm new to this)

Reply 3 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This card is a specialized "industrial equipment" one , it has a dedicated flat panel connector (that looks like a LPT port)
It is and old one and a part of some larger setup - it is common that these parts even used/old have these prices because if your factory production stops from a dead VGA then you will easily pay this price to continue production. It's a pretty common tactic...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2023-09-25, 08:29:

This card is a specialized "industrial equipment" one , it has a dedicated flat panel connector (that looks like a LPT port)
It is and old one and a part of some larger setup - it is common that these parts even used/old have these prices because if your factory production stops from a dead VGA then you will easily pay this price to continue production. It's a pretty common tactic...

Oh wow!
But that's exploitation of people's troubles pure and simple!
Textbook exploitation.

Reply 5 of 16, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-25, 08:19:

("tantalum caps"...?? I'm new to this)

The small bead shaped blue components are tantalum capacitors. They're obsolete today, replaced by better/cheaper technologies. You wouldn't find them on a recently produced card.

aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-25, 08:46:
Oh wow! But that's exploitation of people's troubles pure and simple! Textbook exploitation. […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote on 2023-09-25, 08:29:

Oh wow!
But that's exploitation of people's troubles pure and simple!
Textbook exploitation.

Well, without wishing to turn this too political or philosophical, don't we all exploit someone else's needs to put food on our own tables?

A while ago a monitor in an old electronic charting system broke down irreparably at work. The manufacturer wanted ~€7000 for the replacement. It's a regular panel mounted 1280x1024 monitor, nothing special at all, the only difference from something I could pick up just about anywhere is that it comes with a couple of certification papers.

If I needed that particular card to resume some kind of production, I'd actually be grateful that someone had bothered to keep and make that odd piece of obsolete hardware available for what could only be considered peanuts in the context, possibly for years, before someone finally bought it 😀

Reply 6 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-09-25, 09:59:

Well, without wishing to turn this too political or philosophical, don't we all exploit someone else's needs to put food on our own tables?

A while ago a monitor in an old electronic charting system broke down irreparably at work. The manufacturer wanted ~€7000 for the replacement. It's a regular panel mounted 1280x1024 monitor, nothing special at all, the only difference from something I could pick up just about anywhere is that it comes with a couple of certification papers.

If I needed that particular card to resume some kind of production, I'd actually be grateful that someone had bothered to keep and make that odd piece of obsolete hardware available for what could only be considered peanuts in the context, possibly for years, before someone finally bought it 😀

You make a good point!!

Thanks also for clarifying the caps thing.

Reply 8 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-09-25, 12:34:

Tantalum capacitors are not obsolete, but frankly nothing on that card looks "new"

I dunno guys. I didn't even pay much attention to the details of the picture.
Since I didn't know AliExpress as an 'used' products store, I saw the card on it and I assumed it was a product put on the market for legacy devices.

For example, since 2017 I know of Transduction, in Ontario, making and selling brand new 386 rackmount systems:
https://www.transduction.com/transduc/tr386.htm

mZX1YOo.jpg

I thought something similar was going on

Reply 9 of 16, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:15:

...Since I didn't know AliExpress as an 'used' products store...

most of the chips you can buy there are old chips... just ripped off a circuit board, cleaned and relabeled... (often as something completely different)

Like on most of the chinese platforms there is a lot of weirdness going on...

Just always be aware that basically nothing is like it seems... and when you recieve a good part it is luck...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 10 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:22:
most of the chips you can buy there are old chips... just ripped off a circuit board, cleaned and relabeled... (often as somethi […]
Show full quote

most of the chips you can buy there are old chips... just ripped off a circuit board, cleaned and relabeled... (often as something completely different)

Just always be aware that basically nothing is like it seems... and when you recieve a good part it is luck...

😳 Oh wow! I had no idea about that!!!! Thanks!

I purchased 2 things from AliExpress in the past...

An analog phone with tweezers to test phone lines
A small 8" HDMI LCD display, very convenient and portable, to test servers

But they seemed new and were good.

Reply 11 of 16, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:25:
:O Oh wow! I had no idea about that!!!! Thanks! […]
Show full quote
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:22:
most of the chips you can buy there are old chips... just ripped off a circuit board, cleaned and relabeled... (often as somethi […]
Show full quote

😳 Oh wow! I had no idea about that!!!! Thanks!

I purchased 2 things from AliExpress in the past...

An analog phone with tweezers to test phone lines
A small 8" HDMI LCD display, very convenient and portable, to test servers

But they seemed new and were good.

it always depends on the stuff you buy.
I was referring to parts that should not be available for a good price in such high quanitity. like faked ram chips or special chips or the graphics card we see above.

If a thing is common like the things you have bought new, then the quality should be as expected.

The sellers often write everything on these products just to sell them. And if the customers complain they offer a small discount. If a store here in my country would sell like this they would be sued into the ground 😉

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 12 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:31:
it always depends on the stuff you buy. I was referring to parts that should not be available for a good price in such high quan […]
Show full quote

I was referring to parts that should not be available for a good price in such high quanitity. like faked ram chips or special chips or the graphics card we see above.

If a thing is common like the things you have bought new, then the quality should be as expected.

The sellers often write everything on these products just to sell them. And if the customers complain they offer a small discount. If a store here in my country would sell like this they would be sued into the ground 😉

🤣!!!

What about pipelined-burst Cache chips? Are they the real thing on AliExpress?

Reply 13 of 16, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:44:
it always depends on the stuff you buy. I was referring to parts that should not be available for a good price in such high quan […]
Show full quote

🤣!!!

Nobody knows...
Too many sellers... Too many fakes...
I need 1256 chips (1bit 256k memory chips). Super expensive here even as a single chip. but you can get a 10 pack of the ones with the best timings and brands for like 7 bucks on ali...
I am tempted to just buy some and take the risk of getting e-waste...

I recieved a lot of trash over the years. non working microcontrollers. ic sockets that dont make contact, or just a wrong part arrives (or never arrives).
I ordered a 250 euro car diagnistic device wich was so cheaply made that it broke after a month. seller wanted me to ship it back. shipping to china is super expensive. i payed over 150 euros shipping. and the part i got in exchange broke after a month again.
I am a burnt child.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 14 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:53:
Nobody knows... Too many sellers... Too many fakes... I need 1256 chips (1bit 256k memory chips). Super expensive here even as a […]
Show full quote

Nobody knows...
Too many sellers... Too many fakes...
I need 1256 chips (1bit 256k memory chips). Super expensive here even as a single chip. but you can get a 10 pack of the ones with the best timings and brands for like 7 bucks on ali...
I am tempted to just buy some and take the risk of getting e-waste...

I recieved a lot of trash over the years. non working microcontrollers. ic sockets that dont make contact, or just a wrong part arrives (or never arrives).
I ordered a 250 euro car diagnistic device wich was so cheaply made that it broke after a month. seller wanted me to ship it back. shipping to china is super expensive. i payed over 150 euros shipping. and the part i got in exchange broke after a month again.
I am a burnt child.

Oh my goodness! 😳

Well, I'm sorry for your money!

Reply 15 of 16, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:44:
Show full quote

🤣!!!

Generally all vintage chips from AE can be almost anything, that means non functioning chips, fakes or exactly what they should be. What you get is a gamble. Safest bet is to use sellers with good feedback, especially if there are reviews of the part in question. However, it doesn’t guarantee anything and many of these sellers may source parts from different 3rd party sellers and recyclers.

Reply 16 of 16, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-09-25, 14:00:

Generally all vintage chips from AE can be almost anything, that means non functioning chips, fakes or exactly what they should be. What you get is a gamble. Safest bet is to use sellers with good feedback, especially if there are reviews of the part in question. However, it doesn’t guarantee anything and many of these sellers may source parts from different 3rd party sellers and recyclers.

gotcha. Thanks!