VOGONS

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi, im using some old (mean used before) floppy disks but i noticed floppy drive not working well after using these old diskettes. im using floppy disk cleaner and its works again. so im suspicious using these old disks. any one has same problem? thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on the disks... If they were stored improper and started to mould, got dirty, got demagnetised or desintegrate they will ruin a drive quite fast or stop working.
also a dirty drive can ruin disks aswell.

If the drive and the disk are clean, and the disks were stored properly it should not matter how old they are.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 2 of 10, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the condition of the disks. If they have been stored in damp conditions, there may be mould in them. If that is the case, better toss those and get new floppies, even used ones. Floppies aren’t exactly unobtanium nowadays.

Reply 3 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got hundreds of 720kb and 1.44Mb floppies that all read just fine and have been stored in shoe boxes in the attic since the late 90s/early 2000s.

Age doesn't seem to be a factor. Environmentals are though, as is the condition of the drive.

Reply 5 of 10, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rain wrote on 2023-09-25, 14:00:

thanks im asking that old floppies harm the drive or what condititons?

If there is mould or some other junk on the floppies, then sure, it can damage drive heads. But just being old doesn’t.

Reply 7 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-25, 14:45:

I guess it is the right thread to ask this question ...

... so if a floppy is dirty, is there a way to clean it (without destroying it)? Any suggestions?

Depends how dirty it is, with what, and how badly you need to read it. In some cases it might be worthwhile to carefully cut open the envelope, wash the media itself in warm water with some dishwashing liquid, rinse and dry, then repack into another (or also cleaned) enevlope. Less severe cases can be handled throught the head window/cutout. I do not recommend washing the floppies without removing the media first but that too can be done if you have time and some experience with drying it all afterwards. And it will take a long time to dry.

Oily dirt can be removed with IPA (after excess is wiped first) but take care not to rub too hard or you will damage the media. In general you always want to avoid using any force or strong solvents, but sometimes the media state is so bad that some choices have to be made - after all it either cleans up or is unusable anyway.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
paradigital wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:58:

I've got hundreds of 720kb and 1.44Mb floppies that all read just fine and have been stored in shoe boxes in the attic since the late 90s/early 2000s.

Age doesn't seem to be a factor. Environmentals are though, as is the condition of the drive.

I second this, same experience here.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-25, 14:45:

I guess it is the right thread to ask this question ...

... so if a floppy is dirty, is there a way to clean it (without destroying it)? Any suggestions?

Some time ago I copied a pile of C64 disks from different sources over to the PC. Many of those that showed read errors had visible spots on the media surface. I cleaned them with cotton swabs (Q-Tips) that I drenched in IPA. In many cases that made the spots disappear and the sectors readable again.
I didn't remove the media from the housing but it took some time to manually rotate the disk and search for the spots.