VOGONS

First post, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've gone through most of the topic on the forum, but here are some questions:
1. Regarding "setmul" (or any other similar tool), what is the difference between 440BX and VIA Apollo 133Pro (slot-1 or s370)?
Usually VIA chipset boards support C3 natively (QDI Advance 9 for example).

2. Regarding Gigabyte ga-6bxc, is the VRM mod and/or PowerLeap BIOS necessary? Or does it depend on motherboard revision?
Is Slot-1 adapter with voltage clamp enough? (ga-6bxc r2.o or p3b-f r1.03/1.04)

3. Has anybody tested 3dfx Banshee with C3? (no SSE instructions, questionable 3DNow! support in driver/glide libs)

Reply 1 of 6, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't own a Banshee, but I've used Voodoo2 and Voodoo3 cards with a VIA C3 on i815 and Apollo Pro 133A boards without any issues at all, so I'm inclined to believe that a Banshee would work fine too. Game performance with a 1GHz Ezra is comparable to a 500MHz P3 Katmai.

I've not (yet) managed to get a C3 working on a 440BX board- at best, my ABIT-BX6 2.0 posts with a slightly corrupted BIOS screen, allowing access to the BIOS setting menus, but then freezes at the PCI device listing screen. It shows the correct voltage of 1.35V for the EZRA, but the CPU identifier is just garbled characters and pixels.

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor

Reply 3 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stef80 wrote on 2023-09-28, 07:33:

Thanks for the info.
I'm waiting for ga-6bxc r2.0 to arrive so will check slot-1 compatibility first hand. Any information regarding VRM/BIOS manipulation is helpful.

A bit late,
- GA-6BXC rev 2.0 works with all VIA C3 socket 370 processors, with the powerleap BIOS. I don't know about using an original BIOS with the C3s here, since there was never a reason to use those BIOS'es again.
- GA-6BXC rev 2.0 has a Coppermine ready VRM, so it can go down to 1,3 Volt.
- VIA C3 SetMul functionality does not rely on the chipset/BIOS. (unlike AMD Athlon)
- Remaining question is which slotket to use. One with a voltage clamp means it is of better quality. I used Upgradeware Slot-T or MSI MS-6905 Master.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 6, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-16, 22:34:
A bit late, - GA-6BXC rev 2.0 works with all VIA C3 socket 370 processors, with the powerleap BIOS. I don't know about using an […]
Show full quote

A bit late,
- GA-6BXC rev 2.0 works with all VIA C3 socket 370 processors, with the powerleap BIOS. I don't know about using an original BIOS with the C3s here, since there was never a reason to use those BIOS'es again.
- GA-6BXC rev 2.0 has a Coppermine ready VRM, so it can go down to 1,3 Volt.
- VIA C3 SetMul functionality does not rely on the chipset/BIOS. (unlike AMD Athlon)
- Remaining question is which slotket to use. One with a voltage clamp means it is of better quality. I used Upgradeware Slot-T or MSI MS-6905 Master.

Thanks for the info.
Is powerleap BIOS connected to slot-1 adapter (Upgradeware) or CPU itself?
Also, is Upgradeware Slot-T really necessary ? At least for Ezra. It's Tualatin-specific adapter, while MSI MS-6905 Master is not.

Reply 5 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stef80 wrote on 2023-10-17, 04:58:

Thanks for the info.
Is powerleap BIOS connected to slot-1 adapter (Upgradeware) or CPU itself?

The powerleap BIOS works fine without Slot-T slotket adapter. The BIOS does not interact with the slotket.
It is a modernized BIOS that recognizes more CPU models (Through their CPUID code), among other things.

stef80 wrote on 2023-10-17, 04:58:

Also, is Upgradeware Slot-T really necessary ? At least for Ezra. It's Tualatin-specific adapter, while MSI MS-6905 Master is not.

Slot-T is not necessary, but it works too. MSI MS-6905 Master is more appropriate, and probably the best choice for this C3 purpose.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 6, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sfryers wrote on 2023-09-27, 07:23:

I don't own a Banshee, but I've used Voodoo2 and Voodoo3 cards with a VIA C3 on i815 and Apollo Pro 133A boards without any issues at all, so I'm inclined to believe that a Banshee would work fine too. Game performance with a 1GHz Ezra is comparable to a 500MHz P3 Katmai.

I've not (yet) managed to get a C3 working on a 440BX board- at best, my ABIT-BX6 2.0 posts with a slightly corrupted BIOS screen, allowing access to the BIOS setting menus, but then freezes at the PCI device listing screen. It shows the correct voltage of 1.35V for the EZRA, but the CPU identifier is just garbled characters and pixels.

My MSI MS-6119 v1.1 440BX/Slot1 board works perfectly with C3 processors in a MSI MS-6905 Master slotket. Can't remember if I modified the BIOS with microcode for those, or if it's unmodified, though.

IIRC that board might also come with different VRMs, not all of them being Coppermine ready, allowing voltages < 1.8V. Not sure if the VRM can be different within the same revision, or if it only applied to 1.0 boards.

Would guess the symptoms you describe with the BX6 board are microcode related. If you got some kind of standalone EEPROM flasher, or are comfortable with hot flashing in case something goes wrong, you might want to look into that.