VOGONS

First post, by yuri1303

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!

I'm currently working on recreating a 1998 PC that I used to own. The mobo is a Chaintech 6btm, equipped with a Pentium II 400 and an Asus V3400 (Riva TNT). I've connected it to a modern Philips 27" using a VGA to HDMI adapter, powered by USB.
However, I'm encountering an issue. When I attempt to power on the system with all the mentioned devices connected, I hear a continuous high/low tone beep code (similar to a siren) and there's no display on the monitor. On the other hand, if I disconnect the VGA card, I get one long beep followed by three short beeps.
The power supply unit (PSU) I'm using is a Delta 350W. I also tried a modern Chieftech A80 with the same result.

I'd appreciate an assistance in pinpointing the faulty device - whether it's the CPU or the VGA.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two-tone siren Low CPU Fan speed, Voltage Level issue.
1 long beep, 3 short beeps Conventional/Extended memory failure (Graphics card is out of order)

https://habr.com/en/companies/hetmansoftware/ … rticles/548204/

Reply 2 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have other hardware you can swap in (e.g. CPU, video card, RAM)?

Best way to isolate the problem hardware is to isolate individual components. If you think the video card is an issue, try the system with a different video card.

If it's the CPU, try with a different CPU.

Etc.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards