VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello folks!

Scenario:
2 configurations, same identical in everything (same cards, cache, RAM, etc.).
Assuming all the parts can handle well a 50 MHz FSB with 0 wait states (cache, RAM, VLB video card and VLB controller)

Only differences:

Setup 1: Intel 486 DX2 66 MHz CPU, FSB 33 Mhz, CPU multiplicator x2, CPU frequency 66 MHz

Setup 2: Intel 486 DX2 66 MHz CPU, FSB 50 Mhz, CPU multiplicator x1, CPU frequency 50 MHz (Although the multiplier is altered and the FSB higher, the CPU is actually under-clocked, so it should be totally Okay with that, am I correct?)

QUESTIONS:

Which would perform better? (of course real world applications, tasks, calculations, games... Not just CPU benchmarks)

Is this setup even possible? Like, is it possible to force that CPU's multiplier down to 1x ?

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 2, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You cannot change the multiplicator on a 486 DX2.

For FSB experiments I use an AMD 486 DX4 120. That DX4 can be jumpered to use either x3 or x2 clock multiplier. For FSB probing, I even can clock it to 2x60 MHz on some boards. However, I have to lower L2 cache and DRAM access speed.

Please use the search function of this forum.

Reply 2 of 2, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2023-09-29, 11:28:

You cannot change the multiplicator on a 486 DX2.

For FSB experiments I use an AMD 486 DX4 120. That DX4 can be jumpered to use either x3 or x2 clock multiplier. For FSB probing, I even can clock it to 2x60 MHz on some boards. However, I have to lower L2 cache and DRAM access speed.

Please use the search function of this forum.

Gotcha, thanks.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you