VOGONS

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I am trying to us a SD card on a Sintech SD to ide adapter as primary disk.
It only can be 8GB maximum so I acquired a Kingston industrial 8GB micro SD and adapter.
Win2000 installed flawlessly BUT suddenly it become incredibly slow.
Now I cannot access the OS anymore, looks like I have to reinstall.

Apart from possible errors from my side, is it more reliable to use a CF card instead of a SD card?
I do not want to invest more money in an industrial CF to find out that I am in the same situation (I already have a CF to IDE adapter).

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, for an OS with a GUI, use a HDD (or an SSD or a DOM) Even if that means the use of a SATA to IDE adapter.

Even when I’ve used industrial CF cards (like Cisco ones) they’ve only lasted a short while before causing grief.

My DOS machines all use CF cards, but anything 9x upwards I use some form of actual disk.

Reply 4 of 8, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-03, 07:53:

Apart from possible errors from my side, is it more reliable to use a CF card instead of a SD card?

You are probably better off using an industrial CF or DOM, since they are designed for a read/write load that a computer would place on them in an environment that only allows limited maintenance and CF's have a more rugged form factor. On the other hand, most commercial SD's are usually often designed for a low price, and the ones that are designed for phones and tablet applications usually achieve performance and longevity with features not accessible to retro PC's using sinitechi adapters. However there are a lot of different devices out there with different life spans and a lot of the life span depends on how often you swap media. If you never swap media, things will last much longer

From a performance level, everything is very similarly if connected through an ISA bus, but as you get into the VLB/PCI with ATA-3 & 4, the sinitechi devices often out perform CF's devices due to better latency and the fact that sinitechi supports early DMA modes while not every CF does. Once you get up to the UDMA 5& 6 range, solid state sata devices with a pata converter are fastest, as neither CF's or CD's can match the low latency or high throughput of a true SSD.

Reply 5 of 8, by b0by007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use samsung endurance SD card for my retro system hp t5720 thinclient with windows 98. No problems for more then year by now.
Those endurance line are designed for DVR cameras who write constant on the card.

HP Vectra D2753A 486/25N i486 SX 25mhz
UNISYS SG3500 AMD486 DX2 66mhz
OLIVETTI M4 i486 SX2 50mhz
IBM PC 330 6577-79T, Pentium 166mhz
IBM PC 300GL 6561-350, Pentium II MMX 266mhz
My retro youtube channel!

Reply 6 of 8, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The most stable route for me is SD to ide (sandisk extreme pro + sintech), smooth sailing on all systems. Tried sata drives HDD and SSD, all gimp out in one scenario or another, startech and all.

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 7 of 8, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the moment the most reliable solution do me is SD to IDE.
But from what a you all said maybe it is better to use CF.
I know SSDs are better but the motherboard is so ancient that a pci controller won’t be stable or even functional, Promise included.

Reply 8 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's something that might be interesting on the subject :

Here's an idea: using high endurance (micro)SD cards meant for continuous video recording as storage for retro gear .