VOGONS

First post, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Anyone knows v75m motherboard usb hub pinout? I cant find any reference on the net. Sofar i fried 2 usb memory sticks when coneting them to frontpanel usb port. Front panel is connected to usb hub pins in following way (regular usb pinout) :
pin 1/2 5v (red)
pin 3/4 - data (white)
pin 5/6 +data (green)
Pin 7/8 is not present
pin 9/10 gnd (black)

Doas v75m use any special usb pinout layout?
Rearpanel usb ports work ok.

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This illustration shows what appears to be the standard nine pin USB motherboard header, but the photo on The Retro Web shows a non standard pinout. With a non standard pinout meant for a proprietary connector and no documentation, I would verify the pins with a meter.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 6, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed it looks like propietary pinout as the pins 7 and 8 are not present and not the standard 8/9 pins usb connection found on most motherboards.
I will check the pins vith multimeter. Is there anything i hav to watch out for so i do not fry something while mesouring live usb contacts?
Also when i want rear usb to work pins 1&2 as well as 3&4 on USB hub need to be shortened (defoult state) if they are opened rear usb doas not work🤔

Reply 3 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When measuring the USB pins you do need to be careful to have a steady hand and good light on what you're working on as a slip could lead to grounding the +5 pin, and that could cause damage.

Others may weigh in on this, but it sounds to me as though you'll likely be stuck using either the front or rear ports. A USB card with headers for front USB ports is a solution, but even the best of those will cause a measurable performance hit on Socket 7 systems. Sphere478 decided that he was tired of having too few USB ports so he did this: Re: Adding more usb ports to old motherboards without using a card

Reply 5 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Though non standard, it should still be a variation on one of these pinouts. To check for the ground pin you should be able to set the meter to check for resistance and put the ground probe on the case, or one of the motherboard's mounting screws. https://web.archive.org/web/20050830011044/ht … le_assembly.htm

Reply 6 of 6, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked USB HUB with multimeter and the pins are in non standard USB layout as follows:
pin 1/2 - data (white)
pin 3/4 +data (green)
pin 5/6 gnd (black)
Pin 7/8 is not present
pin 9/10 5v (red)

hence why it killed 2 of my USB sticks. It still puzzles me why if i want rear usb to work pins 1&2 (-data) as well as 3&4 (+ data) on USB hub need to be shortened (defoult state). If they are opened or if i connect fron USB the rear usb doas not work so i can either have front working USB ports or rear working but not both together.