VOGONS

First post, by Senior System Engine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

Whoever can help me with this will win a kewpie doll for sure!

I have numerous Retro-PC's I've built over the years including:

80286 (MS-DOS 5.0)
Tandy 1000RLX-HD (MS-DOS 5.0/Deskmate)
80486 (MS-DOS 6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11)
Several Windows 98SE Machines
Several Windows XP 32-Bit Machines

All of these machines have modems in them.

I would like to be able to set one up as a Bulletin Board System (BBS) and dial it from any of the others using modems only via phone lines within my house.
I don't want to hear about crossover cables, Parallel Ports, Serial Ports, or Ethernet...
I am only interested in creating my own phone system within my house.

I've poked around and can't seem to find anyone whose done this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Reply 3 of 12, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool... I was hoping you'd get the gist of it from that discussion... basically you setup a 'pots lan' as it were with a pabx (so ie; you can dialup internal extensions) ... and it would be possible to have an inet gateway in such a system as well.... I wish you luck.

...hoping for that Kewpie doll to turn up in my dreams, dressed as Harley Quinn =)

Reply 4 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

rj11 telephone cables parallel connected to each other, two-three 9V batteries for line detection and AT command to disable ring detection.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 12, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would "only" allow a 33.6k dial up connection even if your modem is 56k.

A telephone system that actually works to the point you could use it for dial up internet access is quite a complicated thing to set up.

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Senior System Engine wrote on 2023-10-07, 04:17:
[..] I am only interested in creating my own phone system within my house. […]
Show full quote

[..]
I am only interested in creating my own phone system within my house.

I've poked around and can't seem to find anyone whose done this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott, at home we used to have an internal landline. English terms is PBX, maybe ?

We could call each analogue telephone in the house, as well get a real dial tone by dialing "0".

It also had a internal dial tone for the internal landline, which had a slightly different pitch.
Analogue modems worked with it, too.

Internally, it had a microcontroller at work and the unit provided galvanic insulation between internal/external landline.

The unit could also used to open a gate via phone command and more.
Electrically, it simulated the real landline almost faithful (it included an transformer).

Picture is attached. The unit was made in late 80s/early 90s.
The weird looking sockets are of "TAE" type, which predate RJ11.

Edited.

Attachments

• auerswald.jpg
    Filename
    auerswald.jpg
    File size
    432.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 12, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-07, 06:21:

A telephone system that actually works to the point you could use it for dial up internet access is quite a complicated thing to set up.

At some point, I believe someone on eBay was selling a more-or-less-complete (unless you worked for the phone company for decades, not sure how you'd assess the completeness of such an item) Nortel DMS-100. A little bit overkill perhaps, and I'm not sure what electrical setup you'd need in a basement to run one of those, but that (plus a terminal server that takes PRIs) should let you do 56K dialup 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-08, 14:45:

At some point, I believe someone on eBay was selling a more-or-less-complete (unless you worked for the phone company for decades, not sure how you'd assess the completeness of such an item) Nortel DMS-100. A little bit overkill perhaps, and I'm not sure what electrical setup you'd need in a basement to run one of those, but that (plus a terminal server that takes PRIs) should let you do 56K dialup 😀

I have an ISDN BRI-based V.90/K56FLEX/x2 system at home and it's pretty solid, but the real pain is space/convenience. I can do 128k ISDN and 112k MLPPP calls just fine, but it took lots of guesswork to get there. I can also do anything down to Bell 101/103. That's kind of fun to mess with, but not practical. I am trying to add PRI support via an Adtran 908e and PRI-based Eicon card, but the two are having difficulty "talking," and I absolutely despise the Adtran web GUI. It's like CISCO stuff gone horribly wrong.

V.92 is even more of a pain to get going, as you really need something like a Patton 2960 RAS or Cyclades PR4000, and you'd have to do a full PRI setup. Line emulators/simulators are expensive and rare, and PRI ones even more so. BRI ones are not as rare, but are certainly quite expensive and you're limited to 2x 64kbps B-channels.

I kind of did this whole thing as a bit of a curiosity experiment and plan to document it, but I would recommend to most to stick with an analog network for ease (and because the speed boost isn't worth it...56k connections are really around 44k-52k, so not that much faster). If you want to go this route, PM me and I can help you get started!

There are actually Multitech-made RASes (Remote Access Servers) that accept 33.6k and below just fine and can operate standalone, routing PPP or even MLPPP calls to the web. Check out the MTASR3-200. It's got 3 56k modems in it, which can accept Bell 103 to V.34 incoming. You can also just hook up a few external modems to a Windows Server, turn on RRAS, and let it listen for calls. Occasionally, you can fine telephone line simulators for cheap too. Those have a whole "ma Bell" in one system. They work great. Virtual Console makes some nice ones. I got one for around $37 a while ago and it has 4 lines.

There are also PCI cards made by DIGI, Sangoma, Dialogic, and Eicon that can do analog calls and function as an analog RAS, if you have a server. Windows Server 2003 is easy to setup for RRAS services, and it works great. I use a dual PIII-based server for my setup, but really anything would work, even down to a Pentium MMX or K6. Speed isn't necessary here.

Having a Nortel DMS 100 or other such telco equipment would be really cool too! It would work great, but probably be HUGE!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 11 of 12, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WJG6260 wrote on 2023-10-08, 23:34:
I have an ISDN BRI-based V.90/K56FLEX/x2 system at home and it's pretty solid, but the real pain is space/convenience. I can do […]
Show full quote
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-08, 14:45:

I have an ISDN BRI-based V.90/K56FLEX/x2 system at home and it's pretty solid, but the real pain is space/convenience. I can do 128k ISDN and 112k MLPPP calls just fine, but it took lots of guesswork to get there. I can also do anything down to Bell 101/103. That's kind of fun to mess with, but not practical. I am trying to add PRI support via an Adtran 908e and PRI-based Eicon card, but the two are having difficulty "talking," and I absolutely despise the Adtran web GUI. It's like CISCO stuff gone horribly wrong.

V.92 is even more of a pain to get going, as you really need something like a Patton 2960 RAS or Cyclades PR4000, and you'd have to do a full PRI setup. Line emulators/simulators are expensive and rare, and PRI ones even more so. BRI ones are not as rare, but are certainly quite expensive and you're limited to 2x 64kbps B-channels.

I kind of did this whole thing as a bit of a curiosity experiment and plan to document it, but I would recommend to most to stick with an analog network for ease (and because the speed boost isn't worth it...56k connections are really around 44k-52k, so not that much faster). If you want to go this route, PM me and I can help you get started!

There are actually Multitech-made RASes (Remote Access Servers) that accept 33.6k and below just fine and can operate standalone, routing PPP or even MLPPP calls to the web. Check out the MTASR3-200. It's got 3 56k modems in it, which can accept Bell 103 to V.34 incoming. You can also just hook up a few external modems to a Windows Server, turn on RRAS, and let it listen for calls. Occasionally, you can fine telephone line simulators for cheap too. Those have a whole "ma Bell" in one system. They work great. Virtual Console makes some nice ones. I got one for around $37 a while ago and it has 4 lines.

There are also PCI cards made by DIGI, Sangoma, Dialogic, and Eicon that can do analog calls and function as an analog RAS, if you have a server. Windows Server 2003 is easy to setup for RRAS services, and it works great. I use a dual PIII-based server for my setup, but really anything would work, even down to a Pentium MMX or K6. Speed isn't necessary here.

Having a Nortel DMS 100 or other such telco equipment would be really cool too! It would work great, but probably be HUGE!

I set my system up through trial and error too. I ended up with a lot of surplus networking gubbins.

Reply 12 of 12, by Senior System Engine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet Mary McCracken! I would love a Nortel DMS-100. My wife would not...It would become...Should we dry our clothes today or can I run the DMS-100?
I actually had a DEC PDP-11 back in the mid 90's that had a tape drive, Two 4-platter (40 MB hard drives) and a whopping 2MB RAM. I used the 240VAC dryer outlet to run it.
It ran Ultrix and I was able to get a tape with FORTRAN 77.
I had a lot of fun programming complex matrix calculations for underground cable capacitive charging and load-flow analysis.
I really miss the 80's and 90's!

I just got my PABX from amazon and have done a basic setup. I have 2 phones connected and can call one from the other. The dial tone is horribly non-standard but it's better than nothing. Next I'm going to setup a Wildcat BBS on an XP computer I have and Procomm on a Windows 98SE computer and try to modem dial from the Windows 98SE to the XP.

Thanks to everyone for your help and support