VOGONS

First post, by squeeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired an Asus MEW-AM motherboard, which is based around the Intel 810. Specs of the system I put together:

Celeron 500 (Mendocino) w/ stock heatsink fan
256MB DIMM (PC100)
450w PSU w/ 20A on +5v
PCI nvidia FX 5500
SB Live 5.1 (non OEM)
StarTech 1GB NIC
SATA HDD (2.5) connected via IDE adapter
DVD drive
2x Case fans

Inside BIOS I disable:

• Both serial ports
  • parallel port
  • floppy drive

During Windows 98 SE install I get a BSOD at PNP detection step:

kaVvP7T.jpg

During reboot I notice there was an IRQ conflict with the NIC and sound card, so I pull NIC from the system. Boot back into the installer and it continues smoothly. Once in Windows 98, I proceed to start installing drivers. I attempt the Intel chipset drivers first and they fail to install with a message about how I need a supported chipset and operating system. These are the drivers that came with the motherboard (official Asus disk) so I find this odd. I then track down every version of these drivers (thanks Phil!) and they too fail in the same manner:

I decide the flash the BIOS to newest non Beta version (1002.A). This goes smoothly, but once back in Windows, the behavior is the same. I then decide to skip these for now and try nvidia drivers. No luck, package (56.64) says it can't find a supported GPU. I go poking around in device manager and notice there are no unknown devices, which should be the case if its seeing anything PCI related:

nvpILyY.jpg

I yank all the PCI cards (SB, NIC, GPU) and its the same issue (I'm unable to install the chipset drivers). Out of curiosity I click 'refresh' in device manager and the machine crashes.

I then go on an OS installing spree to see if any difference...

• Windows ME (same issue)
  • Windows 98 (first edition, same issue)
  • Windows 95d Lite (hangs during first boot post install with an error which I didn't capture but I was essentially stuck in a boot loop)

At this point, all I can figure is the motherboard is bad 🙁 Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

- FX-6300/ R9 290x/Sound Blaster X-Fi (Win7)
- Pentium III/Matrox G400 Max/Aureal Vortex 2 (Win98)
- Celeron/Radeon 9250/SB Live! (Win95)
- MT32-pi, Roland SC-88, Yamaha MU500

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With out the Intel INF chipset you are missing too many things in System, like PCI bus etc. The original Win9x Intel version Inf for your board is v2.30 and the first Asus driver CD can be found here: https://archive.org/details/mew.-7z
and the last CD release for same motherboards is here: https://archive.org/details/810-mb.-7z
I would try the INF v2.30 and see what happens....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by squeeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the links. They also didn't work, however... as a last ditch effort I flashed the beta BIOS firmware and now the missing devices are present. Go figure!

Reply 3 of 6, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go into "Add/Remove Hardware" in the control panel. Manually add "PCI Bus" from the "System" group.

Once you finalize the add/remove hardware wizard, Windows will begin detecting all of the devices on the PCI bus.

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long ago had a board that if I enabled PnP OS in the BIOS it had shit fits with Win 9x but with Non PnP OS selected it worked fine but had to manually add some things...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by squeeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-10-09, 02:01:

Long ago had a board that if I enabled PnP OS in the BIOS it had shit fits with Win 9x but with Non PnP OS selected it worked fine but had to manually add some things...

Changing this option didn't make any difference for my case, but good to know.

VivienM wrote on 2023-10-09, 02:13:

Can you find a bootable Linux disc that will boot on this and do an lspci? Would be interesting to see how Linux sees the PCI bus/devices on this system...

Maybe at some point I will try this and post the results here.

Things are working now (PCI bus, USB etc). Just fighting with Creative drivers 😅

Thanks for the help all.