VOGONS

First post, by KLund1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still not very good at DOS
I set up a fresh simple 6.22 system and I can't get my CD-rom to work as E: drive.
I have 2 HD's in this system C:, D: SO I want the CD-rom to be E
Here is what I have
Autoexec
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /E:CD-ROM /L:E
I get an error here on boot.
Config
DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /E:CD-ROM
This seems to work, but am unsure
Oakcdrom.sys is in the dos directory, as is mscdex.
I know it is just one letter that is off but I can't figure which one.
Could one of you guru's out there reply with a quick note?
Thanks 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:CD-ROM
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD-ROM

The "/D:" parameter for OAKCDROM.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE specifies the character device name, not a drive letter.
No need to specify the drive letter - A: and B: are reserved for FDDs, next are HDD partitions (in your case C: and D:), and finally drives controlled by drivers loaded in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, eg. CD-ROM.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As others mentioned, the /D parameter should be used for the specified driver name. In your case, the /L:E parameter isn't even necessary since it will be always assigned as drive E when loaded correctly.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 6, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I have learned recently, the name you specify in “/D:” might not be accessible for normal files (in this case, a file named “CD-ROM” cannot be opened while the driver is loaded) so a name like MSCD0001 or something might be better there to reduce the chance of name clashes.

Related article: https://razorback95.com/guides/resolving-the-banana-bug

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thp wrote on 2023-10-14, 04:51:

As I have learned recently, the name you specify in “/D:” might not be accessible for normal files (in this case, a file named “CD-ROM” cannot be opened while the driver is loaded) so a name like MSCD0001 or something might be better there to reduce the chance of name clashes.

Related article: https://razorback95.com/guides/resolving-the-banana-bug

Oh ok I came across this problem and never put the 2 together, thanks!