VOGONS

First post, by jabz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m after a Socket 7 mainboard that supports the AMD K6-3+ cpu in mATX size with an AGP, 2 PCI and at least 1 ISA slot.
Does such a board exist?

Reply 2 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-10-13, 22:26:

Bumped the topic for such yesterday. This one:
Smallest Socket 7 Motherboard

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-13, 23:39:

I actually had one of these. In late 2001, Tiger Direct had a blowout of these boards with a K6-2+ 450. I saw the deal but I wasn't interested enough to buy one, but then in my A+ Certification class in the spring of 2002, I had a classmate who had one and couldn't get it to work so he gave it to me. I ended up doing a hot swap BIOS flash to get it going, but the stock BIOS didn't work with the K6-2+ correctly. I guess TD had a custom BIOS for them, and I had no access to it. But Jan Steunebrink helped me out with a patched BIOS. I just used it to test things out, then it got purged years later when I lost use of a storage unit.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-10-13, 23:52:

I actually had one of these. In late 2001, Tiger Direct had a blowout of these boards with a K6-2+ 450. I saw the deal but I wasn't interested enough to buy one, but then in my A+ Certification class in the spring of 2002, I had a classmate who had one and couldn't get it to work so he gave it to me. I ended up doing a hot swap BIOS flash to get it going, but the stock BIOS didn't work with the K6-2+ correctly. I guess TD had a custom BIOS for them, and I had no access to it. But Jan Steunebrink helped me out with a patched BIOS. I just used it to test things out, then it got purged years later when I lost use of a storage unit.

Interesting that K6-2+ was marketed for desktop like that. And sorry your board got lost.

My Socket 7 boards were Asus P5A and this Chaintech 5RSA0. Same ALi chipset. I prefer the latter for its size, but blew its VRM a year ago, during CPU testing. I recently bought a 5RSA2 as a reference board to be able to repair the 5RSA0 VRM. Glad it is working again.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul