VOGONS

First post, by deepthaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moved my YMF715 into the 486 I picked up. Using the IDE controller on it for my cd-rom drive and have encountered a weird problem.

Basically - when first powered on the IDE controller appears to not function until initialized with SETUPSA. But because videcdd.sys loads before that happens, it can’t see the drive yet.

A quick reboot fixes the issue because it’s now been initialized and videcdd can see it, but can anybody think of a way to avoid having to do that?

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess: the ide controller is not a separate item, is part of the Yamaha chip (according to the datasheet), so if it needs initialized then it (IDE) will not work like a dedicated ISA one.
Poor design compared to other sound cards that have a true separate IDE port like many other cards..as far as working under DOS proper... or could be wrong but datasheet says the YMF715 handles the IDE part...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun