VOGONS

Reply 180 of 232, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-02, 23:54:
And then the other interesting question is... which of those are available today, 25-30 years later? […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-31, 05:35:

Which is why this thread is more interesting than it might appear, because it makes you/me/us think what a Ultimate PC of any given year really was.
What we expect to do with it now and what we did with them then.

And then the other interesting question is... which of those are available today, 25-30 years later?

I suspect, for example, that things that became mainstream a year or two later (e.g. a Pentium 166) are probably relatively easy to find today, but things that stayed high end and were discontinued (e.g. a 1GHz Slot 1 PIII, although that's not on the OP's list) are going to be much, much, more rare. I think it's only in the very late 1990s, then starting in the early 2000s that Intel/AMD/etc launched dedicated low-end parts instead of just selling two years' ago high-end part at a lower price.

Some things were crazy ubiquitous, e.g. SoundBlaster 16s or AWE32s, even in far-less-than-high-end systems. Same with things like modems; sure, I remember that in 1994-5, some low-end systems had 2400 bps modems, some mid-end systems had 14.4 modems, and maybe some really high-end machines came pre-installed with brand new 28.8 modems, but that's not a trend that lasted - I think within a year or two all classes of PCs adopted the newer modems, especially once Winmodems rolled around. Some things cost such a steep premium that only rare high-end systems would have had them.

Doesn't help that I would suspect that high-end systems are actually more likely to have been e-wasted a long time ago than lower end systems that might have quietly been doing someone's word processing or accounting or whatever just fine with whatever 1993-era software they had for 2+ decades.

Yeah I cant really remember there being a level of tech until that point that was made to be the mid range.
I mean there were budget options in the past but from what I hear they were the CPUs that didnt quite meet the performance expectations so they dropped the bar and sold them anyway with lower specs.

The slot 1 PIII 1GHz was an unusual beast, it was the future of CPUs but only in part because the replacement socket had already become established. but they developed it because it had the speed. Theyre rare because they didnt make many.

Modem speeds raced away but the ISPs didnt keep up with the changes so for a lot it didnt matter if you had a 28k modem, they couldnt match you anyway. I know that was the case here in the UK, especially in the later years when the v.90 and V.92 standards came in. Some ISPs never went to V.92 because they just upgraded to V.90 and then DSL was on the horizon.

I think a lot of systems were seen as useless junk and sent to eWaste years ago. I know Ive thrown many a Pentium system into eWaste in the past, and I mean upto Pentium 3 1GHz systems. hundreds of them. Because I just didnt see any value in it at the time. The ones I still have now I had some sentimental attachment to.

VivienM wrote on 2023-11-03, 00:56:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-03, 00:41:

Dell was still fitting a floppy as standard to 3GHz P4 Prescott systems

I think they made the floppies optional on the lower-end systems first. I have a vague recollection of my dad ordering either a Dimension 2400 or 3000, a hotburst Celeron 2.4, and having to select the optional floppy. That would have been... what? 200...4?

They were always optional, but you had to remove them from a build up to a point in time and then beyond that point they were an option to be included.

Reply 181 of 232, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-02, 23:46:

One obvious comment from me: why no floppy in the 2000 build? This is not Mac-land... and while I may have been late to the no-floppy approach, I certainly was putting floppies in new builds in 2006. (Those lovely Mitsumi combo floppy + card readers... an outstanding product, I might add) You can google and see when Dell started making floppies optional, that might be a better time to start thinking about removing the floppy, and even then, gamers would have kept the floppy drives around for the F6 drivers for Windows XP...

Based on my observations, most retail (i.e. not OEM) full-size ATX DDR2 MBs still had FDD connector; many of them cut down the secondary IDE in exchange for more SATA ports. FDD connector really faded out with DDR3 MBs. In general they came in these fashions:

SDR era (P3, Athlon):
1 FDD
2 IDE
No SATA

DDR era (P4, Athlon XP/64):
1 FDD
2 IDE
2 SATA

DDR2 era (Core 2, Athlon X2/Phenom):
1 FDD
1 IDE
4+ SATA

Early DDR3 era (Core i, Phenom II) with BIOS:
no FDD
1 IDE
4+ SATA

Late DDR3 era with UEFI until now:
no FDD
no IDE
4+ SATA

VivienM wrote on 2023-11-03, 00:56:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-03, 00:41:

Dell was still fitting a floppy as standard to 3GHz P4 Prescott systems

I think they made the floppies optional on the lower-end systems first. I have a vague recollection of my dad ordering either a Dimension 2400 or 3000, a hotburst Celeron 2.4, and having to select the optional floppy. That would have been... what? 200...4?

The last computer came with floppy me or my family bought was an Asus Terminator 2 barebone with a Prescott Celeron 2.4MHz (my Mom bought it without asking my opinion; much to my chagrin) in 2004 as well, with its exterior very similar to this build:

TA185.jpg
Filename
TA185.jpg
File size
39.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
TA185-4.jpg
Filename
TA185-4.jpg
File size
32.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The FDD is "hidden" at upper left, behind a hinged door.

Reply 182 of 232, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2023-11-03, 01:28:
Based on my observations, most retail (i.e. not OEM) full-size ATX DDR2 MBs still had FDD connector; many of them cut down the s […]
Show full quote

Based on my observations, most retail (i.e. not OEM) full-size ATX DDR2 MBs still had FDD connector; many of them cut down the secondary IDE in exchange for more SATA ports. FDD connector really faded out with DDR3 MBs. In general they came in these fashions:

SDR era (P3, Athlon):
1 FDD
2 IDE
No SATA

DDR era (P4, Athlon XP/64):
1 FDD
2 IDE
2 SATA

DDR2 era (Core 2, Athlon X2/Phenom):
1 FDD
1 IDE
4+ SATA

Early DDR3 era (Core i, Phenom II) with BIOS:
no FDD
1 IDE
4+ SATA

Late DDR3 era with UEFI until now:
no FDD
no IDE
4+ SATA

On the Intel side, this was largely driven by Intel removing PATA from their ICHs starting with ICH... 8, I think. The one that came out with the 965 chipset. For a number of years, the usual suspects (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc) typically gave you a PCI-e soldered-on PATA controller on any of their boards, in part because there were no SATA ODDs in the retail market when the 965 chipsets launched. Then eventually they removed that PATA controller but that would probably have been in the Sandy/Ivy bridge era.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the ICH6/7 only had one PATA channel. I just don't remember. ICH5 was the first with SATA and still had the two traditional PATA channels.

As for the floppy connector... hmm... I presume that vanished when Intel removed support for it. My late C2Q boards still had a floppy connector...

Reply 183 of 232, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-03, 01:00:

Modem speeds raced away but the ISPs didnt keep up with the changes so for a lot it didnt matter if you had a 28k modem, they couldnt match you anyway. I know that was the case here in the UK, especially in the later years when the v.90 and V.92 standards came in. Some ISPs never went to V.92 because they just upgraded to V.90 and then DSL was on the horizon.

Very different in North America - ISPs here enthusiastically embraced the X2/K56Flex/V90...

I think a lot of systems were seen as useless junk and sent to eWaste years ago. I know Ive thrown many a Pentium system into eWaste in the past, and I mean upto Pentium 3 1GHz systems. hundreds of them. Because I just didnt see any value in it at the time. The ones I still have now I had some sentimental attachment to.

Yup, me too... and honestly, the one I regret throwing out the most was my Dell PIII 700. I had the sentimental attachment to it, but just... no use for it... in 2012 or 2013 or whenever it was, and the idea of turning the very machine that had soured me on 98SE into a 98SE retro machine... just had not occurred to me! Had I thought of it, I would have found the right video card for it and kept it, probably...

Most of the other systems I threw out, I don't think are the kind of thing that anyone would ever find retro cool (no slot 1 PIII 1 GHzs with Voodoo 5s in my past...), but there are certainly some parts I've thrown out that probably shouldn't have been, e.g. my ATI All-In-Wonder 9800.

Reply 184 of 232, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-03, 01:46:

Very different in North America - ISPs here enthusiastically embraced the X2/K56Flex/V90...

Demon internet in UK had all three standards and V. 92 at some point, were a few months behind US for latest and greatest though. Smaller ISPs might not have.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 185 of 232, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-03, 02:04:

Demon internet in UK had all three standards and V. 92 at some point, were a few months behind US for latest and greatest though. Smaller ISPs might not have.

Demon Internet was also the one European ISP everybody in North America was jealous of. Static IPs, the funky email system so you could run your own mail server/have unlimited email addresses, etc.

Not sure what happened to them - I think they got eaten up at some point...

Reply 186 of 232, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think BT internet swallowed them up in the noughts not sure. But yeah, was awesome having your own hostname and they had mirrors of most of the big ftp sites, so max speed download on 90% of anything you wanted.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 187 of 232, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 3.5" floppy drive was available, and in some cases actually required, well into 2004-2005.

Remember nForce4 chipsets which needed special SATA/RAID drivers? Yeah, you pretty much had to use a floppy drive to install WinXP (press F6 during setup) on such a system when using a SATA HDD. My DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D motherboard (which I bought in early 2005) shipped with that driver on a floppy disk.

Sure, some of the more tech savvy people could slipstream the SATA/RAID driver onto a (newly burned) WinXP installation CD, but that was considered too complicated for normal users. Also, unlike contemporary Intel and VIA chipsets, I don't think nForce4 had "Legacy IDE Mode" as a BIOS option for their SATA implementation. Meaning, you had to use either the floppy disk or the slipstream method.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 188 of 232, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used floppy on all my systems from 1996 to 2010 with Windows 95 up to Vista. Only in 2011 when I got the last PC - the brand new Sandy bridge - I renounced the floppy drive. Today it is still there in all of my systems but I do not use it unless it is required to update the BIOS; when installing Windows it is actually disabled together with the FDD controller to save on resources.
Nforce4 chipset actually does not require to have the SATA driver to install Windows. I installed XP just with the original disk on my Abit AN8-SLI. Yes, I got the floppy with the driver but it was not required!

Reply 189 of 232, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nd22 wrote on 2023-11-03, 08:28:

Nforce4 chipset actually does not require to have the SATA driver to install Windows. I installed XP just with the original disk on my Abit AN8-SLI. Yes, I got the floppy with the driver but it was not required!

There may have been some differences depending on the manufacturer, but I distinctly remember not being able to install WinXP+SP2 (which was current at the time) on my DFI LanParty nForce4, unless I loaded the SATA driver from the floppy.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 190 of 232, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-03, 08:45:
nd22 wrote on 2023-11-03, 08:28:

There may have been some differences depending on the manufacturer, but I distinctly remember not being able to install WinXP+SP2 (which was current at the time) on my DFI LanParty nForce4, unless I loaded the SATA driver from the floppy.

XP SP3 installed without any driver needed and it is still running like a champ. In the integrated peripherals menu, on the IDE function setup page there is only one option available for the SATA ports: enabled or disabled; so you can not choose anything but IDE mode really ! Please note that I did not use RAID - only 1 hard drive in the system!

Reply 191 of 232, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been updating my own list for years now, it is 1988-2023: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fqh7a … dit?usp=sharing

It is not an ULTIMATE GAMING BUILD BY YEAR list per se, as I tried to go for the best available home computer hardware at the time with RAM and storage amounts that would be more or less luxurious at the time. It is a good indication that I use frequently to see where technology was at any given year. Hope it helps others here as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 192 of 232, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VivienM wrote on 2023-11-03, 02:34:

Demon Internet was also the one European ISP everybody in North America was jealous of. Static IPs, the funky email system so you could run your own mail server/have unlimited email addresses, etc.

Not sure what happened to them - I think they got eaten up at some point...

I think you need to cast your minds back to how the UK ISP market was formed up back then...
Like how some of them were run out of converted houses in the middle of a housing estate. Thats how to cheap local rate calls were offered by most of them, because they were local calls made to the ISP and then shunted to the internet from there.

The ISP industry wasnt then what it is now which just a handful of massive companies all offering near enough the same things to people.
If you were living in Leeds then it made more sense to go with an ISP that was based in Leeds because they would offer local rate calls, or Daemon internet who had many such places spread all over the country.
And thats how they kept up.

A lot of the small ISPs didnt survive the shift in modem standards.
not because there was anything wrong with them or their equipment, but because people went with the fastest.
There was only a couple of years between the rollout of V.90 and V.92, and before that they had something else.
So you might have had an ISP going from V.34 in 1996 to V.90 in 1998 to V.92 in 2000.
Thats a lot of investment in a very short space of time and some of them just couldnt do it.

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-03, 02:45:

I think BT internet swallowed them up in the noughts not sure. But yeah, was awesome having your own hostname and they had mirrors of most of the big ftp sites, so max speed download on 90% of anything you wanted.

Swallowed up by Vodafone in the end. The mobile telcos took most of it.

Reply 193 of 232, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-03, 04:06:

The 3.5" floppy drive was available, and in some cases actually required, well into 2004-2005.

Remember nForce4 chipsets which needed special SATA/RAID drivers? Yeah, you pretty much had to use a floppy drive to install WinXP (press F6 during setup) on such a system when using a SATA HDD. My DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D motherboard (which I bought in early 2005) shipped with that driver on a floppy disk.

Sure, some of the more tech savvy people could slipstream the SATA/RAID driver onto a (newly burned) WinXP installation CD, but that was considered too complicated for normal users. Also, unlike contemporary Intel and VIA chipsets, I don't think nForce4 had "Legacy IDE Mode" as a BIOS option for their SATA implementation. Meaning, you had to use either the floppy disk or the slipstream method.

Nobody knew of, or not many, shall we say to cut down the doubting Thomas types out there, the ability to slipstream anything into Windows 2000 and or Windows XP until the release of XP SP2.
With that release came some other releases which get us the first time the tools to slipstream things like F6 drivers into the installation media. And that was released late in 2004.

In 2004 the floppy drive was ubiquitous, "everybody" had a floppy drive in their PC but almost nobody had the floppy disks to use them any more.
I bought a Dell Precision 690 in 2007 and that had a floppy drive. It just came with it, I didnt say no on the order so it came with it.

Floppy disk drives became optional in the Vista era.

Reply 194 of 232, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going back to the subject of the topic, I think we can all agree the the ultimate machine available each year was out of reach for 99.99% of people. Only those with very deep pockets could afford it. A different matter were the machines bought by companies. Those could afford to pay big bucks when needed. I remember seeing a Pentium II 400 with an ungodly amount of 128mb of RAM and some kind of Matrox card with a big Sony monitor running NT 4.0 back in 1998 at one of my friends home being used by his father and bought by the company he worked for. He would never let us use it!

Reply 195 of 232, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi
Just an opinion about the 1999 CPU.

I have the exact same system except for the CPU where i picked the PIII 700 instead.

The reason is the 7x multiplier.
7 x 100 instead of 5,5 x 133
This allow a 933mhz overclocked frequency (with the help of the BX chipset)
The GeForce 256 is happy with the increased AGP freq.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 197 of 232, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2023-11-26, 17:34:
Hi Just an opinion about the 1999 CPU. […]
Show full quote

Hi
Just an opinion about the 1999 CPU.

I have the exact same system except for the CPU where i picked the PIII 700 instead.

The reason is the 7x multiplier.
7 x 100 instead of 5,5 x 133
This allow a 933mhz overclocked frequency (with the help of the BX chipset)
The GeForce 256 is happy with the increased AGP freq.

That's an interesting point about overclockability.

Admittedly it's something I haven't factored into this list of specs given the number of variations that it opens up. But it's certainly something to be considered when speccing a build!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 198 of 232, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couple small updates to the list:

Added in the FDD drive for the year 2000 build

Changed the video card for the 1996 builds to the Matrox Mystique versus the previous Virge/VX. After doing some testing, the Mystique is definitely a better performer. While it loses in backwards compatibility, for a 1996 era system, better performance in games like Duke Nukem 3D is definitely preferable.

Added more games to the annual lists.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 199 of 232, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The crazy thing about these rigs to me wasn’t so much their high cost, but how much faster they were than the system you might have owned at the time when they came out and how quickly they became too slow to play the latest games.