VOGONS

First post, by KennyPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for this exact case for nostalgic reasons. I've been trolling ebay for awhile with no luck. Do any of you have this case collecting dust somewhere? I'll pay more than it's worth 😀

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
204.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
197.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
235.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
197.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a slide-out system. Where part of the chassis with the motherboard can slide out to the backside.

Like the one shown here (small_P-3S_1266MHz_back.jpg):
Retro Rig Photo Thread
NO exact match.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 12, by KennyPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-22, 16:04:
Looks like a slide-out system. Where part of the chassis with the motherboard can slide out to the backside. […]
Show full quote

Looks like a slide-out system. Where part of the chassis with the motherboard can slide out to the backside.

Like the one shown here (small_P-3S_1266MHz_back.jpg):
Retro Rig Photo Thread
NO exact match.

I don't remember it being able to do that, but my memory could be wrong. Anyways...thanks for looking!

Reply 3 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185937564575
Listing ended..
Slide out system only for the Power Supply.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 12, by KennyPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-22, 16:53:

Listing ended..

Ya, that listing and the one I got the pictures from are the only two ebay listings I've seen for it and I missed on both of them 🙁 I contacted both ebay sellers with no luck.

Reply 5 of 12, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KennyPowers wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:16:
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-22, 16:53:

Listing ended..

Ya, that listing and the one I got the pictures from are the only two ebay listings I've seen for it and I missed on both of them 🙁 I contacted both ebay sellers with no luck.

Try to do some research into who the main sellers of white box cases at the time were. There's one outfit in particular I'm thinking of that was very popular a few years after this, En...light maybe? Yes, google confirms that, Enlight - the 7237, I think, was the really popular model. There's also Inwin, Aopen and a few others that traditionally served the non-enthusiast store-built market (back when it existed).

Reply 7 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KennyPowers wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:31:

It's kind of similar to an Inwin A500...

Inwin A500 is a match with that sliding model I linked to earlier. I have that one. It originally came with a Pentium III 866 MHz.
At least I now learned the brand and model of that case.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/1067850/take- … ith-gordon.html

Reply 8 of 12, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:23:

Try to do some research into who the main sellers of white box cases at the time were. There's one outfit in particular I'm thinking of that was very popular a few years after this, En...light maybe? Yes, google confirms that, Enlight - the 7237, I think, was the really popular model. There's also Inwin, Aopen and a few others that traditionally served the non-enthusiast store-built market (back when it existed).

Had that exact Enlight case and I just had to get rid of it. The detachable front panel in order to then slide the side panels to remove them sounds cool in theory, but then you realize that the front panel is only held on by plastic tabs, thus not fixed enough when closed, and it makes a racket with the vibrations of the case components, coolers, HDDs, you name it. Tried everything and I just couldn't take it anymore. Don't know if someone ever solved that, but this guy made some mods to it: http://krick.3feetunder.com/case/

It does look like it's from the same era than the InWin A500, in that weird AT-ATX transition period. There were many models that were variations on the A500's line of design from other companies. But hey, if you found some listings, even finished ones, it's already a good sign. Take a look around Germany, they have a lot of variations in case design, more so than other countries. The only country where I don't remember seeing listed the most spammed case design of all time, pictured below, or maybe it was just "luck". How many of these were made I have no idea, but they absolutely ruled the Pentium IV era in certain countries...

I've been forever looking for an AT case that I had as a kid that was discarded by my father for an InWin A500 no less, I only saw a picture around here but never found listings. The A500 was much easier to get back, but this one keeps eluding me. The guy that posted this pic even said he found it new in box!

Attachments

• Spam king.jpg
    Filename
    Spam king.jpg
    File size
    33.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Eluding case.JPG
    Filename
    Eluding case.JPG
    File size
    63.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 12, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:59:

Inwin A500 is a match with that sliding model I linked to earlier. I have that one. It originally came with a Pentium III 866 MHz.
At least I now learned the brand and model of that case.

The case the OP is looking at is older. Look at that system from eBay - no USB, PCI graphics, etc. Very early ATX. Probably 1996 or so whereas the 866MHz PIII would be more a 2000 thing.

Reply 10 of 12, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andre_6 wrote on 2023-10-22, 18:19:
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:23:

Had that exact Enlight case and I just had to get rid of it. The detachable front panel in order to then slide the side panels to remove them sounds cool in theory, but then you realize that the front panel is only held on by plastic tabs, thus not fixed enough when closed, and it makes a racket with the vibrations of the case components, coolers, HDDs, you name it. Tried everything and I just couldn't take it anymore. Don't know if someone ever solved that, but this guy made some mods to it: http://krick.3feetunder.com/case/

I had one too, used it for the first system I ever built, a 1.9GHz P4 Willamette with RDRAM, etc. The biggest issue I remember with it was the poor thermals - with the hotburst and the socket 478 cooler not perfectly installed, that system always ran hot. And the Intel motherboard came with a 'lovely' utility that loved to make a lot of noise as soon as the temps got up there...

My recollection is that I picked that case because it was advised as a 'P4 case' which meant it supported something (weird CPU cooler mounting maybe?) that the socket 423 P4s needed. Oh, and it came with a PSU that had the P4 12V connector.

I would end up switching my case loyalty to Antec for the rest of the 2000s except one Zalman Z...7... I actually still own (dreadful case, that one, the HDD cage is a huge pain), and then Fractal Design after helping my friend build an Ivy Bridge machine (that I just bought from him a few weeks ago actually).

It's actually quite amazing how much friendlier cases became in the 2000s. Easier to open sides, easier way to mount drives, etc.

Reply 11 of 12, by KennyPowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-22, 18:22:

The case the OP is looking at is older. Look at that system from eBay - no USB, PCI graphics, etc. Very early ATX. Probably 1996 or so whereas the 866MHz PIII would be more a 2000 thing.

Ya, the case I'm looking for was used for the first PC I built...probably in 1997 or 1998.