VOGONS

First post, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this FIC 486-GIO-VT board without cmos battery so I figured I‘ll just grab an external 3 x AAA battery holder…
Turns out the board has a jumper for internal/external battery. Too bad you can‘t set the jumper to 1-2 because there‘s a cap blocking it.
Any ideas how to bridge pin 1-2 without crazy bending and soldering?
It‘s J3, jumper is set to Internal Battery 2-3.
Looks like the original coin cell holder was removed at some point, there‘s some solder tin left in the holes.
I wonder why. But I do have a CR2032 holder from some scrap board which I could use.

Attachments

• IMG_5474.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5474.jpeg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, isn't J1 4-pin header for 4.5V external battery connection?

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 4 of 9, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-10-29, 19:18:

Hmmm, isn't J1 4-pin header for 4.5V external battery connection?

Yes, but to enable external battery he need to enable it on the board with JP3, the 3 pin jumper block next to it.

Reply 5 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2023-10-29, 19:47:

Yes, but to enable external battery he need to enable it on the board with JP3, the 3 pin jumper block next to it.

JP3 or J3? I can't see JP3. And what is the problem if (probably) J3 has to be removed?

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 6 of 9, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It‘s J3, a 3 pin header currently set to pin 2-3. You can clearly that there is no room for a jumper between the tantalum cap and pin 1. Bending the cap is no option, it won‘t move at all because the legs are too short.
I‘ll try stripping a jumper .

Reply 7 of 9, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kouwes wrote on 2023-10-29, 21:07:

It‘s J3, a 3 pin header currently set to pin 2-3. You can clearly that there is no room for a jumper between the tantalum cap and pin 1. Bending the cap is no option, it won‘t move at all because the legs are too short.
I‘ll try stripping a jumper .

I didn't saw the third pin on J3, sorry. Just bend slightly the two tantalum caps to the side so the jumper will fit or bend the pins 1 and 2 of J3.

But I think there's a chance that position 1-2 on J3 is just a "holder" for the jumper and pins 2 and 3 on J3 are in parallel with pins 2 an 3 on the J1. Check the schematic with multimeter in continuation mode.

Reply 8 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kouwes wrote on 2023-10-29, 21:07:

Bending the cap is no option, it won‘t move at all because the legs are too short.

This would be true for larger cylindric electrolytics. Tantalums become narrower at the bottom end, so they can be bent easily. I have done that hundreds of times.

Reply 9 of 9, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes you are right. I was too cautious I guess because that wouldn’t be the first cap I break off a board. The jumper now sits on 1-2 so all good!
Thanks for your input.
Now I can finish this build: 486DX2-66, 16MB FPM, Tseng ET4000 and an AWE32.
I might go and look for a nice VLB card though.