VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently got this motherboard and can not get a POST out od it. It always gets stuck on code AA after taking its sweet time on 0D..

The CPU gets warm and the BIOS seems to work given it actually executes to a point. Reseating the BIOS and KBC dis not help. Having RAM on the board or not does not change the behaviour and there are no beeps.

What should I poke at to find the issue I wonder?

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 4, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-10-29, 14:35:

What should I poke at to find the issue I wonder?

Assume nothing about the SIMM bank setup. Try 2 sticks in each socket pair. Use 9-chip sticks if you have them, the 3-chip ones are often causing parity issues due to refresh or timing issues.
Connect reset switch and reset the mobo via the switch, see if that changes anything. I don't see a dedicated RTC chip so it's probably in the chipset - there's a 32k crystal in the corner next to NPU socket. The nearby chip must be 4069, it's both low-power oscillator and amplifier for the clock signal. You should be able to measure the 32768Hz output on the gate that's the amplifier (a scope with 10:1 probe can measure it anywhere but with other tools only that gate will provide strong enough signal). Make sure it's there becuase it often clocks some auxiliary logic in the chipset.

Reply 3 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/iqs-ali
trw doesnt have bios dump so that would be nice, and would tell you if its corrupted (checksum)

appiah4 wrote on 2023-10-29, 14:35:

gets stuck on code AA after taking its sweet time on 0D.

AMI BIOS 04/09/90-02/01/91
0D Refresh link toggling passed.
now the funny thing is this version doesnt have AA status code at all 😀

AMI New BIOS; 02/02/91�12/12/91 does have
AA Initialization after E000 optional ROM control is over. Going to display system configuration.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 4, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-10-29, 17:49:

Make sure it's there becuase it often clocks some auxiliary logic in the chipset.

For example? I've often seen a stopped RTC due to lack of 32.768 kHz and motherboards were working apart from that.