VOGONS

First post, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

Im just wondering what is the next platform you would like to do for the next Aiming for the stars?

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UMC U5S, Nec V30, Winchip 2B, IBM PC Junior, IDK I'm just picking the weird ones because I've lost track of what we've actually done.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 46, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2023-10-31, 22:44:

Aim for the stars by playing a game other than 3dmark 😁 We literally made this joke all the time 25 years ago.

Games are easy to mod and tweak to gain FPS. 3dmark provides an equal playing field.

Reply 9 of 46, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-10-31, 20:56:
supercordo wrote on 2023-10-31, 20:35:

Or we could go Athlon thunderbird core for socket A.

So, Thunderbird round 2?

Im down.

Reply 11 of 46, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DrAnthony wrote on 2023-10-31, 23:51:

Is AM3 too modern? Excluding 3+ caps off at Phenom II, which is the perfect age for prices completely bottoming out while still being easy to find.

It really depends on what rules are set.

Reply 15 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
supercordo wrote on 2023-11-02, 00:03:

Im think we should do something that a lot of people would have so we can get better turnout.

Socket 5/7, 2x multiplier, EDO RAM

Anything that fits in 5 or 7, can set a 2x multiplier and any board that uses EDO (or fast page if you really wanna run that ancient opti). Examples but not exclusively; FX, VX, HX, VP1 VPX VP2, not sure TX supports EDO DIMM but if it does it's in, just no SDRAM.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 46, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-02, 01:06:

Im think we should do something that a lot of people would have so we can get better turnout.

Socket 5/7, 2x multiplier, EDO RAM

Anything that fits in 5 or 7, can set a 2x multiplier and any board that uses EDO (or fast page if you really wanna run that ancient opti). Examples but not exclusively; FX, VX, HX, VP1 VPX VP2, not sure TX supports EDO DIMM but if it does it's in, just no SDRAM.

Sure, TX supports FPM, EDO and SDRAM.

Reply 17 of 46, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

P4 Northwood socket478? Or if 478 feels too boring, Willamette/Northwood socket423? Implies RDRAM.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 18 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I was having a brain lockup, thinking of the board I've got that's DIMM only and forgetting the one that's got SIMM slots 🤣

Reply 19 of 46, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2023-11-02, 12:51:

P4 Northwood socket478? Or if 478 feels too boring, Willamette/Northwood socket423? Implies RDRAM.

I could be down for some Socket 423 fun.