VOGONS

First post, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I acquired this motherboard and want to use it to be a WinXP retro gaming machine.

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-H8 … M-DS2-rev-20#ov

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
2 x PCI Express x1 slots

(The PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

I've got no idea what memory or CPU but I assume it will be pretty low spec considering it was dumped...it does work though 😀

I'm after advice on what graphics card this will support and any other advice appreciated of course 😀

Will this motherboard support a ASUS GeForce GTX 750?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a Haswell board... that's one generation too new for simple, out of the box XP support. But there's plenty of documentation out there about how to get XP running on Haswells...

GPU-wise, you should be fine with the latest XP-friendly GPUs, including the Nvidia 7xx series, the AMD 7xxx, etc.

Reply 2 of 10, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PCIE x16 slot should connect directly to the CPU. If the board has a Haswell i3, 5, or 7, that slot should operate at 3.0 speeds.

I used a GeForce 750 Ti with my Haswell i5 (on a H97 board) , so I bet it would work with that board.

Reply 4 of 10, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks peoples so it sounds like this board will make an okay WinXP build. I'm not looking for the best performance possible, just something usable for most late era XP games.

Reply 5 of 10, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other observation I will make - I don't know what things are like in Australia, but around here at least, more enthusiasty-flavoured ivy bridge or Haswell boards are extremely cheap and plentiful on the used market, often with 3570k/3770k/4570k/4770sks/etc already on them. So... if this board doesn't perfectly meet your needs, there are plenty of options if you wanted to get something else.

Reply 6 of 10, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NovaCoder wrote on 2023-11-13, 01:21:

Cool, thanks peoples so it sounds like this board will make an okay WinXP build. I'm not looking for the best performance possible, just something usable for most late era XP games.

You can basically get the best performance possible out of this board - a higher-spec Haswell with a higher-end graphics card is pretty much the absolute highest you can go on XP...

What is your definition of late-era XP games? 2006-7? Or 2012-13? (Sorry, I was one of those crazy people who switched his main box to Vista in 2007, so I have absolutely no idea what 2011 games' OS dependencies might have been)

Reply 8 of 10, by NovaCoder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-13, 01:23:
NovaCoder wrote on 2023-11-13, 01:21:

You can basically get the best performance possible out of this board - a higher-spec Haswell with a higher-end graphics card is pretty much the absolute highest you can go on XP...

What is your definition of late-era XP games? 2006-7? Or 2012-13? (Sorry, I was one of those crazy people who switched his main box to Vista in 2007, so I have absolutely no idea what 2011 games' OS dependencies might have been)

yep say 2006-2008 I guess 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NovaCoder wrote on 2023-11-13, 00:55:

I've got no idea what memory or CPU but I assume it will be pretty low spec considering it was dumped...it does work though 😀

Nice find but Huh ? If it works it easy to see what cpu and ram are, it is on first or second page of the UEFI BIOS 😀 The fan being a Delta can work up to about a 70watt TDP cpu so it could be an i5 but most likely an i3.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun