VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Jan,

happy to report the CT-5SIM patch J.3 works great!

Performance:

Seagate_Momentus_54_40GB_DMA+BIOS-ide-burst-mode.jpg
Filename
Seagate_Momentus_54_40GB_DMA+BIOS-ide-burst-mode.jpg
File size
49.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Seagate_Momentus_5400.3_ST9120822A_120GB_DMA+BIOS-ide-burst-mode.jpg
Filename
Seagate_Momentus_5400.3_ST9120822A_120GB_DMA+BIOS-ide-burst-mode.jpg
File size
50.2 KiB
Views
File license
Kingston_SMS200S3_30G_JMicron JM20330_DMA+BIOS-burst-mode.jpg
Filename
Kingston_SMS200S3_30G_JMicron JM20330_DMA+BIOS-burst-mode.jpg
File size
48.75 KiB
Views
File license
Samsung_SSD840_120GB_JMicron JM20330_DMA+BIOS-burst-mode.jpg
Filename
Samsung_SSD840_120GB_JMicron JM20330_DMA+BIOS-burst-mode.jpg
File size
49.39 KiB
Views
File license

Both SSDs were measured only as second drive in Windows 98 SE.
With the Samsung SSD no access was possible under pure DOS with "Sector not found" errors.
Not sure if that was caused by the JMicron Sata to IDE bridge.

As side note IDE BURST MODE needs to be enabled in BIOS. Otherwise DMA speeds are below of non-DMA speeds.

Again, great work!

Reply 41 of 44, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-12-31, 15:40:

I'll gladly test your newer patched BIOS version for Shuttle HOT-596A board when it's ready.

Hi analog_programmer,

The new HOT-569A patch J.3 BIOS version is ready and I sent you a download link via PM.
Please let us know how this new BIOS works.

P.S. Some stupid question: If your HDD volume compatibility BIOS patches are almost the same as the ones applied by the BIOS Patcher software, why BIOS Patcher applies its HDD-patches over already manually patched by you BIOSes? I've never used such HDD-volume double patched BIOSes, just tried what more will be autopatched (mostly for adding support for more CPUs) and noticed this strange BIOS Patcher behavior.

My BIOS patching method involves making a good disassembly listing of the BIOS, then analyze what needs to be changed. Then I edit the BIOS firmware directly in machine code with a hexeditor, followed by another run through the disassembler to check the result, and to see if I got it right. This method is indeed quite time consuming but works on both compressed and uncompressed BIOSes and allows me to catch unique bugs.

The BIOS patcher tool from apple_rom works by adding compressed modules with the patches to the compressed BIOS image. The patches are then applied in Shadow RAM during each boot-up. A quite clever approach for compressed BIOSes and this usually works well. But there have been several cases where it bricked a system, but luckily the developer(s) have put in a fall-back feature that allows you to boot with the original BIOS. Just hold down the “–“ (minus) key on the numeric keypad during boot and the patches are not applied.

Now when you run the BIOS Patcher tool on one of my patched BIOSes, the program may not recognize the bug because I changed the original code.
Then the tool will either not apply that particular patch, or tries to patch my patch. The later can result in unpredictable behaviour.

Regards, Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 42 of 44, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chkcpu wrote on 2024-01-26, 16:28:

Hi analog_programmer,

The new HOT-569A patch J.3 BIOS version is ready and I sent you a download link via PM.
Please let us know how this new BIOS works.

Hi, Jan!
Thank you very much for the new BIOS patched version for Shuttle HOT-596A mobo! I'll give my best to test it tomorrow with some different s7 CPUs and at least two "big" (80 and 250 GB) mechanical ATA HDDs. I've sent you a PM.

Chkcpu wrote on 2024-01-26, 16:28:

Now when you run the BIOS Patcher tool on one of my patched BIOSes, the program may not recognize the bug because I changed the original code.
Then the tool will either not apply that particular patch, or tries to patch my patch. The later can result in unpredictable behaviour.

Yeah, this is exactly what happens and I just wonder why BIOSPatcher doesn't detect that there's no more HDD-volume-limit bugs in yours already manually patched BIOSes, but when the BIOS is factory-free of this bug the software successfully detects this and skips HDD-bug patching. Anyway, I don't use such double-patched BIOSes.

Thanks for the reply!

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 43 of 44, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-01-26, 16:51:

Hi, Jan!
Thank you very much for the new BIOS patched version for Shuttle HOT-596A mobo! I'll give my best to test it tomorrow with some different s7 CPUs and at least two "big" (80 and 250 GB) mechanical ATA HDDs. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks for your elaborate test reports on the HOT-569A patch J.3 BIOS, looks good! 😀
Both the UDMA and improved 32GB limit bugfixes appear to work as expected.

Here is the new HOT-569A patch J.3 BIOS for anyone who needs it.
Note that this BIOS is not for the HOT-569. The 569 uses a different BIOS, but a newly patched HOT-569 BIOS is available as well earlier in this thread.

Filename
569A_J3.zip
File size
113.04 KiB
Downloads
6 downloads
File comment
Shuttle HOT-569A patch J.3 BIOS
File license
Public domain

Cheers, Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 44 of 44, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic! Great to see those boards getting some love 😀

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !