VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2023-12-10, 04:43:

Thanks ! And good to know ! So if anyone has an issue with their 1.44mb HD floppy drive check first to see if it a Sony. To me this is like a blast from the past. Had a new Sony cordless phone that didn't work proper from the start, it got replaced under warranty and within months also acted up. My friends used to joke about it as "that Sony phone". wow guess I should have asked what brand drive it was 😒

"It's a Sony!" was a once a marketing slogan.

Regardless of it having arguably backfired, I still miss Sony retail stores.

They were named "Maison Sony" where I live (translates to Sony house or house of Sony).

Reply 21 of 21, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VDNKh wrote on 2023-12-10, 02:50:

Because I had only had two Sony MPF920 FDDs on hand, I got a different make and model FDD to test. A Mitsumi D359M3. Turns out the motherboard's floppy port works perfectly fine with this Mitsumi FDD. I guess the Super I/O chip doesn't like the Sony FDD for whatever reason. Maybe the terminator resistance to drive the read pin is too high on the Sony FDD? Who knows.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied.

Glad to see than you resolved your controller issues. Unfortunately in my case I tried every 3.25" floppy drive that I have (one Mitsumi, one Sony and one Teac and all they works perfectly fine with other motherboards, also one of these FDDs was used with this very same mobo 20+ years ago, but I didn't remember which one) and the problem is not in compatibility issue with the brand and the model of the FDD. I think I found the reason for malfunction in the Horun's comment about the flipping over the data cable causing damage in the I/O controller as I have a FDD cable with no directional pads on the connectors and when I use it sometimes mistakenly I plug it in reversed position.

Thanks for the useful topic.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"