VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hy

I build 2 age perfect pc for DOS gsming, both with cd-rom device like nec-cdr4300a and mitsumi lu005s.
Both work with factory pressed music cd and data cd-s, but none of my cd-r's.
Is any tipp, trick how to burn cd's readable with old units?

Thank any helping hints

Reply 2 of 17, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Burn them at lowest possible speed i.e. x2.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 4 of 17, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2023-11-25, 09:33:

Early drives won't even read CD-Rs. Some were even picky about the "brand" of CD-Rs.

Maybe if you burn them according a certain standard?

My Sony CDP-101 reads burned CD's, but that's audio.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 5 of 17, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, they usually have problems reading CD-R. The only solution that I'm aware of is to increase the laser's voltage. Just install a newer CD-ROM 😀

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 6 of 17, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Early drives may be more compatible with early media.
Unfortunately, modern discs are heavily cost-reduced.
If you can find good brand pre-2000 NOS media, then give it a try.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 17, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-11-25, 10:20:

Early drives may be more compatible with early media.
Unfortunately, modern discs are heavily cost-reduced.
If you can find good brand pre-2000 NOS media, then give it a try.

Maybe CD-RW from my xbox time (2003) have same

Reply 8 of 17, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2023-11-25, 10:34:

Maybe CD-RW from my xbox time (2003) have same

Forget about using CD-RW media with early drives.

Some very old drives may only read CD-ROM.
Most drives should read good CD-R.
CD-RW, however, came much later, and has much higher requirements about drives.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 9 of 17, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Experiment with recording DAO instead of SAO or TAO (make sure to close disk/session in the end). One of my old cd-roms is perfectly fine with CD-Rs when written Disk-At-Once but refuses to read anything else (including CD-RWs). On the other hand, there are reports that reverse might also be true (Re: Best options to feed old CD (2x, 4x) drive with CD-R media).
Also use the most compatible settings you can find for other stuff (ISO 9660 level 1 maybe even without Joliet, etc.)

Reply 10 of 17, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do not try rewrite media. It will fail for sure.
Well, I haven't had any problem with my LU005S drives and CD-R. (except I've been that stupid and put them to scrap 23 years ago)

Last edited by Disruptor on 2023-11-27, 07:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Grzyb mentioned you need compatible cd-r media, the new 48x, 52x types generally will not read in many very old cdroms. You need media that states something like 1x-24x compatible or similar..... imho
I would not expect a Mits LU005s to read any cd-r being a 1x proprietary cdrom. The NEC is a 6x and would have much newer firmware and should read cd-r if you burn them properly but being a "cd changer" it may also have issues compared to a standard single disk 6x cdrom. My Toshiba 4x and Plextor 6x read cd-r just fine if I use proper media and burn propely....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote on 2023-11-25, 09:33:

Early drives won't even read CD-Rs. Some were even picky about the "brand" of CD-Rs.

You're right, but I remember that the Mitsumi LU005S was very forgiving back in the day.

It could read most CD-ROMs in the house that were unreadable by all the other PCs.
Especially mixed-mode types (CD Audio+Data) worked fine.

I *think* we used it with early writable CDs, too.
But that was well over 20 years ago.
Not sure how compatible nowadays CD-R's are. Maybe writing them at 4x or so may help getting better results.
At home, we often used the slowest speed for reliability purposes.

That being said, some CD writer drives maybe need a higher speed, because of stability reasons.
That depends on the design (mechanics etc) . At one given point/speed, the CD spins most stable in a drive.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My personal experience is that's it's mostly a quality of media problem, not so much a burn speed issue (although burning at a lower speed might help). Later generation discs are of much lower quality (easier and cheaper to produce I assume) and the older drives don't have the required error correction to read those discs. Try to find a batch of old high quality discs (circa 2000). In my experience the 650MB discs work better in older drives. I think this has to do with the capability of the precision of the laser. Overall, it's a bit of mix and match to see what works best.

Reply 14 of 17, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dominusprog wrote on 2023-11-25, 10:12:

Yes, they usually have problems reading CD-R. The only solution that I'm aware of is to increase the laser's voltage. Just install a newer CD-ROM 😀

700Mb CD-R does not work in all Drvies.

Some only read 650Mb CD-R.
To be fair, early CD-ROMs are all 650Mb Discs.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 15 of 17, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Older drives are more sensitive to disc quality. This is also an issue with some 1990s game consoles.
The Taiyo Yuden plant in Japan made high quality CDRs that are much more compatible with picky drives.
For the last several years it was operating, Taiyo Yuden was owned by JVC and the packaging was branded as "JVC Professional" or something like that. They also kept the name Taiyo Yuden as a footnote somewhere, since people still remembered that name.
If they came from that plant the packaging will say "Made in Japan". I saw some on eBay but prices and Country of Origin varies.
I think they shut down at the end of 2015 or so. They were the last Japanese plant making CDRs.
After that the Taiyo Yuden brand was sold to CMC Magnetics and the discs come from a CMC plant somewhere.
I ordered most of my Japanese TY discs from MediaSupply - that site still sells newly manufactured quality-oriented discs but no CDRs come from Japan anymore. They might still be good - I just don't know.

When I lived in California I sometimes found old CDRs at Goodwill. They were still in good condition and worked well, but it was a dry climate. Thrift stores are more fruitful in some places than others - I haven't seen nearly as much tech junk after moving to FL.
Discs like to be cool, dry, and dark.

Keep in mind the name on the packaging usually isn't who made the discs, that name is just a marketing facade.
If you find any old CDRs that are marked made in Japan, they're probably good (unless age has ruined them).

Reply 16 of 17, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven’t had any issues getting my 8x or 24x cdrom drives to read modern burned cdrs, but that may mostly be luck. I do burn everything in a single go, finishing it, I forget the term for that, disc at once? Mastering? Anyway, I do burn them at 24x, but I don’t think that has any impact. I think I mostly just got lucky that my old cdrom drives just happen to support cdrs.

Reply 17 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2024-02-08, 00:51:
Older drives are more sensitive to disc quality. This is also an issue with some 1990s game consoles. The Taiyo Yuden plant in […]
Show full quote

Older drives are more sensitive to disc quality. This is also an issue with some 1990s game consoles.
The Taiyo Yuden plant in Japan made high quality CDRs that are much more compatible with picky drives.
For the last several years it was operating, Taiyo Yuden was owned by JVC and the packaging was branded as "JVC Professional" or something like that. They also kept the name Taiyo Yuden as a footnote somewhere, since people still remembered that name.
If they came from that plant the packaging will say "Made in Japan". I saw some on eBay but prices and Country of Origin varies.
I think they shut down at the end of 2015 or so. They were the last Japanese plant making CDRs.
After that the Taiyo Yuden brand was sold to CMC Magnetics and the discs come from a CMC plant somewhere.
I ordered most of my Japanese TY discs from MediaSupply - that site still sells newly manufactured quality-oriented discs but no CDRs come from Japan anymore. They might still be good - I just don't know.

When I lived in California I sometimes found old CDRs at Goodwill. They were still in good condition and worked well, but it was a dry climate. Thrift stores are more fruitful in some places than others - I haven't seen nearly as much tech junk after moving to FL.
Discs like to be cool, dry, and dark.

Keep in mind the name on the packaging usually isn't who made the discs, that name is just a marketing facade.
If you find any old CDRs that are marked made in Japan, they're probably good (unless age has ruined them).

100% this

people fixate on the speed but that's really not that important, the quality and *type* of media matters way more

taiyo-yuden discs used a totally different dye from most of the other brands which is largely why they work so much better in older drives