VOGONS

Reply 20 of 43, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for not being able to post back with the ones I had. Life had a few nasty surprises yet again (family related) but I managed to get a few just now of the Gericom M6T and the M700.

First off, Compaq Armada M700. Don't mind the sticker on the back, that one was self hand written quite some time ago.

Chipset: 440BX
CPU: Pentium III 700MHz
RAM: 128MB PC100
LCD: 14.1 inch, TFT, SVGA 1024x768
GPU: ATi Rage Mobility-P, AGP, 8MB SDRAM
Audio: ESS Maestro
Modem: 56k
Network: Intel PRO/100 MiniPCi
Ports: 2x PCMCIA II, IrDA, PS/2 KB/MS, COM, LPT, VGA, USB, CVBS output
Keyboard: 102 keys
Integrated mouse: Pointing stick, Easypoint IV

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 21 of 43, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the Gericom Supersonic M6T-1200.

Chipset: VIA 694T
CPU: Pentium 3 1.2GHz Tualatin
RAM: 2x256MB, 512MB total
LCD: 14 inch, TFT
ODD: DVD ROM
HDD: 30GB
Keyboard: 102
Ports: 2x USB, 1394, LPT, COM, VGA, IrDA, PS/2, 2x PCMCIA
GPU: ATI Radeon Mobility M6/7000 VE, 32MB AGP 4x
OEM: First International Computer (FIC)

Attachments

Reply 22 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! Will put these to good use when I get to those brands. No worries whatsoever on the delay.
According to my local photo list I've also found photos of your C600, CPx, and Green736 from going back through the retro activity thread. I also have the G732 photos bookmarked but haven't processed them yet.
G732 and G736 photos may be on the site by the next update - active focus right now is on AlphaTop & ECS Green series. C600 photo will also probably be up as I have a page on that one already.

Will credit everyone who's sent in under CC-BY-4.0 as specified.

Last edited by 3lectr1c on 2023-12-07, 03:03. Edited 1 time in total.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 23 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When looking more into that Gericom Supersonic (looks super cool!), this page on the new hardware thread came up in google search: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
Can I use these too? - they don't have a license attached.

Will probably get documentation on those up when I get to FIC, probably will go through their stuff before getting to Gericom. Or maybe not, hard to say. It will probably be a bit before I get around to looking into either. I've got my hands full at the moment! Only other time I've heard FIC mentioned in my research besides this is that they also OEM'd the WinBook Si/Si2. Those look quite boring compared to this Gericom unit.

As a side note, from that thread I could have sworn I remembered seeing that wallpaper on a retro system posted to the wallpapers thread on BetaArchive. Checked and yup, was talking about the same laptop. Small (vintage tech forum) world! I go by anonymous74 over there.

Reply 24 of 43, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, you can use them as you like.

Reply 26 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I'll bite on this one. Doing the same thing 😉 - but I'm only focusing on the models I have and use for the most part.

First one is a Diamond Flower Inc (DFI) MediaBook - I think it was sold, per PC Mag circa 1994, as the DFI Mediabook NP9225. But it's really just a rebranded NanTan/Kapok FMAK9200D. I had this one for awhile a couple years back. I have two of these I'm posting, this one, and a generic one. These laptops had a cool little startup chime - probably the first time a PC manufacturer did anything like that, which could be turned on and off by DIP Switch #1 on the motherboard next to the CPU. CPU, RAM, DIP Switches, and CPU Jumpers are all accessible under the keyboard by removing the nameplate and then 2 release latches on each side on top of the keyboard. I'll put some gut shots in the generic post.

Release Date: 1992
CPU: Intel 486 SX 25MHz
Chipset: Unknown
RAM: 4MB on the motherboard, upgradable to 36MB using Memory Cards P/N: NB8M0061 (8MB), NB16M0061 (16MB), and NB32M0061 (32MB)
HDD Type: 2.5" IDE
Uses Proprietary HDD Adapter: Yes
Display Options: 9.4" Casio MD810TT00-C1 STN Monochrome, 10.3" Sharp DSTN Color LMG9300XUCC
GPU: Cirrus Logic CL-GD6440
VRAM: 1MB
Sound: ESS 488 AudioDrive w/OPL/2 support
Main Battery: 2x 1800mAH 9.6V NiMH Batteries
CMOS Battery: Lithium Button Cell, soldered
Power Supply: Barrel Jack 19VDC Power Supply, Generic
Expansion: 1x PCMCIA Type II 16-bit, 1x PCMCIA Type III 16-bit (larger area)
Internal Drives: none
Networking: Optional via PCMCIA Cards offered by reseller
I/O (Front): 2x Battery Bays
I/O (Left): 2x PCMCIA,
I/O (Rear): AC Adapter, VGA, Parallel/LPT, Docking Station Port, Serial Port, PS/2 Mouse Port
I/O (Right): 1.44MB Floppy Drive, Headphones, Line-In, Mic-In, Fan
BIOS: AWARD
Pointing Devices: MS Compatible Trackball on the palm wrest

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 27 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for this! 😀

I'll add these to a gallery page for the NTC 9200. They'll also come in handy whenever I go to document DFI eventually.

Reply 28 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the other 9200 (I've owned 4 of these - back in 03' I had a Prostar 9200M and a Duracom 5110D - all the same, the 5110D was color like this one).

Release Date: 1992
CPU: Intel 486 DX2 66MHz, Socket 3 compatible (these were sold with all sorts of CPUs under many names)
Chipset: Unknown
RAM: 4MB on the motherboard, upgradable to 36MB using Memory Cards P/N: NB8M0061 (8MB), NB16M0061 (16MB), and NB32M0061 (32MB)
Uses Proprietary HDD Adapter: Yes
Display Options: 9.4" Casio MD810TT00-C1 STN Monochrome, 10.3" Sharp DSTN Color LMG9300XUCC
GPU: Cirrus Logic CL-GD6440
Sound: ESS 488 AudioDrive w/OPL/2 support
Main Battery: 2x 1800mAH 9.6V NiMH Batteries
CMOS Battery: Lithium Button Cell, soldered
Power Supply: Barrel Jack 19VDC Power Supply, Generic
Expansion: 1x PCMCIA Type II 16-bit, 1x PCMCIA Type III 16-bit (larger area)
Networking: Optional via PCMCIA Cards offered by reseller
I/O (Front): 2x Battery Bays
I/O (Left): 2x PCMCIA,
I/O (Rear): AC Adapter, VGA, Parallel/LPT, Docking Station Port, Serial Port, PS/2 Mouse Port
I/O (Right): 1.44MB Floppy Drive, Headphones, Line-In, Mic-In, Fan
BIOS: AWARD
Pointing Devices: MS Compatible Trackball on the palm wrest

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 29 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the first of my NEC Laptops that I've taken pictures of over the years - a 1994 (March date codes) NEC Versa 40EC.

The NEC Versa Line of laptops started with the NEC UltraLite Versa in early 1993, which were PC Mag's top performers in the graphics department at the time since they had VESA Local Bus style electronics going to the graphics chipset, and seems the majority of this series had TFT Active Matrix LCD panels (which were user swappable on all but the V-series). The 40E was announced in late 1993 and introduced by early 1994. It upgraded to a clock doubled 486 DX2 SL 3.3v CPU, and added a trackball. There was also a 50E, and a 75E with a 486 DX4 in it. This model is a PC-440, the 450 is the 50, and the 460 is the 75MHz model.

Release Date: 1994
CPU: Intel 486 DX2 SL 40MHz (20MHz System Bus)
Chipset: NEC
RAM: 4MB on the motherboard, upgradable to 20MB using Memory Cards in 4MB, 8MB, 12MB, and 16MB Capacities.
Uses Proprietary HDD Adapter: Yes, aka. "VersaPak"
Display Options: Removable LCD Panels including a 9.4" Monochrome, 9.4" Monochrome with pen/touch "VersaPen", a 9.4" Active Matrix TFT Color (NL6448AC30-06), and a 9.4" Active Matrix TFT with 3M MicroTouch "VersaPen" and touch
GPU: WD90C024
Sound: Internal Speaker Only
Main Battery: 7.2v 3400mAH Nickel Metal Hydride (NIMH) - you can remove the Floppy drive to put in a second one for more battery life (up to 8-hours per NEC)
CMOS Battery: CR2450 Coin Cell, Replaceable
Power Supply: NEC 4-pin Proprietary, smaller pack (OP-570-4401)
Expansion: 2x PCMCIA Type II 16-bit
Networking: Clippercom PCMCIA 14.4K Modem (Optional), Linksys PCMCIA Ethernet (Optional), NEC Branded variants
I/O (Front): "VersaTrak" Trackball
I/O (Left): 2x PCMCIA Slots, Battery Bay
I/O (Rear): PS/2 Mouse, PS/2 Keyboard, Serial 1x, Parallel 1x, Docking Port
I/O (Right): HDD/Memory shared bay, "VersaBay" for Floppy Drive or second Battery
BIOS: PHOENIX Flash BIOS
Pointing Devices: "VersaTrak" Trackball

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 30 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next Up, this post and another one, both Versa M/75 models. This one is the less as common NEC Versa M/75TC - the "TC" stands for "True Color". Versa laptops had unlisted model designations based on the panel they came with from the factory per below

(no designation) = monochrome
P = Pen w/touch screen (Monochrome)
C = Color Active Matrix
D = DSTN Color (M/75 and later)
CP = Color Active Matrix with Pen/Touch
TC = True Color Active Matrix (M/75 only)
HC = "High resolution Color" Active Matrix (800x600 @256 colors - M & P/75 models only)

The M/75 and M/100 TC models were designated by a bump up by 100 in the PC model number ie - regular Versa M/75 was PC-470-XXXX and a regular Versa M/100 was PC-480-XXXX. The TC versions were PC-570-XXXX and PC-580-XXXX. The only real difference was the screen, some changes to the plastic mold to prevent installing a TC screen in a non-TC Versa or a non-TC screen into a TC versa because doing so damages either the panel, or the graphics controller due to different wiring. These used NEC NL6448AC30-09 LCD Panels unique to these models, and the thicker LCD (due to extra electronics to drive the true color support - ie 24 or 32-bit color) facilitated a thicker LCD housing where the lock tabs on the hinge housing are open-ended, the metal support is inset deeper, the hinge cover is taller and more rounded, and the LCD panel assembly itself is thicker, and has a "keyed" connector to prevent installation on the wrong laptop. Internally, the M/75 motherboards had a daughtercard for the LCD controller that could be swapped. So when restoring an M/75 or M/100, you can turn a TC model into a regular model or vice versa just by swapping the panel, and this card, and the associated plastics (or just simply removing the plastic guide).

CPU: Intel 486 DX4 75MHz
RAM: 8MB on the motherboard, upgradable to 40MB using Memory Cards in 4MB, 8MB, 12MB, 16MB, and 32MB Capacities.
Display Options: Removable LCD Panel special to the model, NL6448AC30-09 "True Color" Active Matrix 9.4" TFT
GPU: C&T 65545
Sound: Crystal Semiconductor CS4231KQ "Business Audio" - no OPL support
Main Battery: 7.2V 4000mAH NiMH "Smart Battery", will also work with the older Versa "Dumb Batteries"
CMOS Battery: Varta Style Barrel Battery with Molex Connector mounted to metal "skeleton" away from Motherboard
Power Supply: NEC 4-pin Proprietary, smaller pack (OP-570-4701)
Networking: Clippercom PCMCIA 14.4K Modem (Optional), Linksys PCMCIA Ethernet (Optional), NEC Branded variants
I/O (Right): HDD/Memory shared bay, "VersaBay" for Floppy Drive or 3 different add-on modules: Versa Video (DV Capture), PCMCIA Expansion Bay (adds 2 more PCMCIA Type II Slots), or a secondary Battery

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 31 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the NEC Versa M/75CP - another rare version, this time with a wired active Pen Stylus (I don't have), and a Touch screen (removed for now, as I'm replacing the glass as the original digitizer was cracked). This particular models was sold as a part of a AAC package known as a "Words+ System 2000" alternative communications device, which cost about $6000 total in 1994. This particular one is the one I still have, and it's a late 1994 model.

The Versa CP used a 5 wire, 10.4" 3M MicroTouch 63-4631-00-01 Rev 2 Digitizer attached to the inside of the screen bezel. These CP models were far less likely to crack at the hinge because the entire right side of the screen is heavily supported by a PCB that fills the whole space, as well as the metal bracketry to hold the whole thing together. The wired Digitizer pen uses a 1/8" Phono jack. I'm exploring ways to restore this functionality using more readily available parts.

CPU: Intel 486 DX4 75MHz
RAM: 8MB on the motherboard, upgradable to 40MB using Memory Cards in 4MB, 8MB, 12MB, 16MB, and 32MB Capacities.
Display Options: Removable LCD Panel OP-390-5701 "VERSAPEN" as it says on the bottom w/ NL6448AC30-10 Active Matrix 9.4" TFT and 3M MicroTouch 10.5" Digitizer and wired active stylus support. This panel could also be replaced by any of the regular color panels (Mono DSTN, Mono DSTN with Pen, Color Active Matrix (NON TC), or High Resolution Color Active Matrix)
Sound: Crystal Semiconductor CS4231KQ "Business Audio" - no OPL support
Main Battery: 7.2V 4000mAH NiMH "Smart Battery", will also work with the older Versa "Dumb Batteries"
CMOS Battery: Varta Style Barrel Battery with Molex Connector mounted to metal "skeleton" away from Motherboard
I/O (Right): HDD/Memory shared bay, "VersaBay" for Floppy Drive or 3 different add-on modules: Versa Video (DV Capture), PCMCIA Expansion Bay (adds 2 more PCMCIA Type II Slots), or a secondary Battery

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 33 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NEC Versa V/50C - The Versa "V" Series I think stood for "Value" as these were the ones with a non-removable screen and were just a basic 486 laptop computer with a DSTN Monochrome, color, or Active Matrix TFT. These were a tad separate by model number, using PC-700/710/720. That said, I'm not 100% sure there was a PC-700-XXXX model - which would have been the Versa V equivalent of the 40EC. A lot of people get the Versa V and Versa E mixed up, and a few have claimed that they sold BOTH as the Versa V at one point (likely due to the lack of proper branding on the E-series - they just say "Versa" on the screen with no model# while the Versa V series say V/75 or V/50 on the screen).

CPU: Intel 486 DX2 SL 50MHz
RAM: 4MB on the motherboard, upgradable to 40MB using Memory Cards in 4MB, 8MB, 12MB, 16MB
Display Options: Non-Removable LCD Panel, NEC NL6448AC30-10 9.4" Active Matrix TFT
GPU: WD9C024
Main Battery: 7.2V 3400mAH NiMH
CMOS Battery: CR2450 Coin Cell under Memory Door
I/O (Right): HDD/Memory shared bay, "VersaBay" for Floppy Drive or Additional battery

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 34 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The NEC Versa P/75 was the last of the first generation NEC Versa PC-4xx series of laptop computers. It was released either in late 1994 or very very early 1995. The unit here is a January 1995 unit. The model# is PC-490-XXXX, and the majority of Versa P/75s that shipped were "HC" models. Very likely by march they were shipping these with Windows 95.

By the time these came out, the computer magazines were ragging on NEC a bit because the industry had drastically moved forward from the original Versa design released in 1993. What we have here is a "bus neutered" Pentium, or basically, a 486 with a Pentium Processor chip etched into it. The cost-cutting measures inside the case are also pretty noticeable in a reduction of screws in the assembly, and more brittle plastic to crack. However, this was likely NEC's first laptop computer to feature a fully SoundBlaster compatible soundcard - an ESS 688 AudioDrive chip with OPL/3. Only a year later NEC would release the 2000/4000/6000 Series Versas which featured Trackpads, CD-ROM Drives, Lithium Ion Batteries, and larger high resolution color screens up to 1024x768 in sizes up to 12" by that point.

CPU: Intel Pentium 75MHZ, Custom Chip, SMD
Display Options: Removable LCD Panel special to the model, NL6448AC30-09 "True Color" Active Matrix 9.4" TFT
Sound: ESS AudioDrive 688 SoundCard w/ OPL3 support
CMOS Battery: CR2302 style CMOS Battery with soldered on MOlex connector under the keyboard
I/O (Rear): PS/2 Mouse, Serial 1x, Parallel 1x, Docking Port, Line-In, Mic-In, Headphones

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 35 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll try to fast-track putting up info on at least these models since I have the specs lists and photos, can at least get those up quickly.

Reply 36 of 43, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the last one for today is probably one of NanTan's first color laptops - the FMA3500C, in this case, one by Broadax Systems inc. - aka BSi - who are still around making servers today. These were also sold under the brands of Highscreen, Eurocom, and some others.

The FMA3500C was a later revision that added a trackball and a color screen to the 3500 series. BSI's versions were pretty straightforward on their internal model names ie NB486DX33 or NB486DX250 (I surmise is "Note Book 486 DX 33MHz"). But these were built by Nan Tan Computer (NTC) in Taiwan, aka Kapok. The original FMA3500 had a STN Monochrome screen and no trackball, and a different 4-pin power jack. So the 3500C is a bit of a better deal. These I believe were made in 1992-1993, where they were replaced with the later gray only product lines (7600, 7500, 8200, 8900, 9200, etc.)

CPU: Intel 486 DX-33
Chipset: ETEQ/C&T
RAM: Theoretically up to 32MB on 4x 30 pin SIP, Desktop Memory Modules
HDD Type: 3.5" IDE Desktop HDD
Uses Proprietary HDD Adapter: No, but does use a special 3-pin power connector some Maxtor, Seagate, and Samsung drives had at the time (can be hacked to a 4-pin Molex).
Display Options: 9.4" DSTN Dual Scan Color LCD Panel, Sanyo LCM-5331-22NTK
GPU: Cirrus Logic CL GD-5424
Main Battery: 2800mAH NiCAD - Thumbscrews to the Back of the Computer
CMOS Battery: Red Varta, Soldered to Motherboard
Power Supply: Generic 20VDC Barrel Power Supply
Expansion: Proprietary Expansion Connector for a "Port Replicator" with 2 ISA Slots (RARE)
Internal Drives: 1.44MB 3.5"
Networking: None without expansion pack, unless you count one of those new "The OldNet Serial WiFi modem" things
I/O (Front): none
I/O (Left): VGA, COM2, Toggle Switch for PS/2 Mouse, PS/2 Mouse Port
I/O (Rear): Battery Thumbscrew Connections + 4 Pads for Battery/Dock power, Docking Station Connector (behind cover)
I/O (Right): 1.44MB Slimline Floppy Drive, Brightness, Contrast, Power (Barrel DC in), Parallel, COM1, 1/8" Phono Jack for ext. Numeric Keypad
BIOS: PHOENIXView 486 BIOS
Pointing Devices: 2 Button Trackball beneath LCD on right side above keyboard

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 37 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Site update/PR 12/09/2023 adds Latitude L400 images from bakemono
https://macdat.net/pc/dell/latitude/l400_home.html

Images of some of the ECS laptops, the Nan Tans, and the other Dells sent in will likely be the next to go up.

After I finish up documenting ECS/Alpha-Top Green laptops, I'm probably go to start on getting some of NEC's stuff documented, probably just the 1st gen Versas for now since the info there is already accessible.

Thanks again everyone!

Reply 38 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New site update includes new sections for NEC and FIC. NEC currently includes info on the laptops that creepingnet has documented, and FIC is little more than a model list at the moment. I'll be working on spec pages for the FIC models in the near future, which will include the images of the Gericom Supersonic laptop that PCbytes sent in images of. I was able to find the exact FIC model for that laptop - it's an A360.

Reply 39 of 43, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did look up the A360 and while it looks exactly like mine, Gericom's Supersonic really is A380 and not A360.

A360 uses a S3 Savage4 from the looks of its manual - the A380 has a Radeon Mobility M6.