VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's good to know - thanks!

But interesting too...
I've currently searched for FIC models through the wayback machine on pcg.fic.com.tw up through late 2001, so at first I assumed the A380 must have come out after. But I just went and checked later captures - it isn't listed anywhere. There's an A360+, but it still lists the S3 graphics. There's also an A385 but it looks different. Where did you find info on the A380? A google search tells me that it exists, but not anything more. Just links to various likely out-of-stock parts pages.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 41 of 43, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gericom's manual is where I got the specs from, and since the A380 only updated the HW (Tualatin instead of Coppermine/CuMine-T, Radeon M6 instead of Savage4/Twister, 2x256MB PC133) it's safe to say the Gericom models are exactly the mysterious A380/A380G. Supposedly the G supports GPRS though I have been unable to find anything in that regard.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 42 of 43, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also to add, it really seems the Gericom is an FIC A380. Here's CPU-Z info on the BIOS tab. Weirdest thing is what its actual BIOS string reads, given the Tualatin isn't pinmodded. I wonder what trickery did FIC or Gericom do to get a 694x to run Tualatin. (as we all know only 694T could natively run Tualatins.)

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 43 of 43, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah so that’s how you ID’d it.
Just also worth noting that the A360 is also a Tualatin, not Coppermine. But it doesn’t have the ATI Graphics.
Not sure about the chipset discrepancy.

All quite strange. I’ll add A380 to the list as an unknown of sorts.

I probably have too many old laptops.