VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two printers hooked up right now: an HP Deskjet 842C, and an IBM 5152 Personal Computer Graphics Printer (Epson MX-80).

Each of them is hooked up to a different system. The Deskjet is connected via USB to my primary modern computer and via parallel to a 386 machine, while the 5152 is connected via parallel to my IBM PC 5150.

None of these computers are electrically connected in any way except through the network - all three are wired via into my home network.

I believe they are also all on the same power circuit.

The Deskjet ordinarily sits on and idle waiting for a print job.

Here's the strange thing: if I walk over to the 5152 and turn it on, the Deskjet will wake up as though it has begun receiving a print job. It will then flash the out of paper light. If I press the paper button, it feeds a single page through without printing anything.

I tried various combinations of disconnected cables and determined by process of elimination that a signal is traveling through the power lines from the 5152 itself (not through the 5150) to the 386 computer, then through its parallel port to the Deskjet.

It's really bizarre. Has anyone else ever encountered this type of behavior?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 19, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have a poltergeist living in the 5152 !

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 19, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PC that often wakes up sleep mode when I turn another device nearby. It is a modern computer and I use cheap USB-to ps/2 converter so I can use an old AT keyboard with it. Likely the USB-to ps/2 converter is lacking proper shielding so whenever a current is induced to it from the outside it signals that as key being pressed on the keyboard to the computer.

Reply 4 of 19, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Electro magnetic interference in the USB, probably. Maybe. Dunno.

Any description of a bizarre thing is a bit hard work to read. The USB printer jumps into life when the old machine is switched on?

What happens if you just disconnect and reconnect the USB on the printer? Does it jump into life in the same way?

I have two computers here that suffer from USB keyboards vanishing, almost certainly due to EMI, Linux says so sometimes.

I use a thing called inputexec on a couple of Linux machines to make a keyboard into a one-press for an action, a monitoring computer and the kitchen music player.

The monitoring computer is near some poor shielded transformers (in plastic, not metal), and if they switch on/off then a USB keyboard can have a disconnect/reconnect event. That makes inputexec exit. Investigating that problem led me to USB/EMI problems. I bodged a solution by putting inputexec in an infinite loop with a sleep (some readers will have had their cringe gland implode seeing that, sorry).

The kernel messages also sometimes suggest EMI is the problem.

The kitchen music player can have a keyboard disconnect/reconnect when I run a new washing machine, probably because of the motor or a 2kW heater turning on and off.

Moving the transformers further from the monitoring machine helped, as maybe did buying a shielded USB cable. The kitchen computer I just ctrl-alt-del reboot it if the keyboard stops working with inputexec.

Could be some kind of jolt down the power, could be LAN, but I think induced power in the USB from an old computer. Ahhhh, got an old CRT on that? Big, inefficient electromagnets!

Reply 5 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some form of sheath current, maybe? 🤷‍♂️
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath_current

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 19, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the printers shared on the network through any of the systems?

Run Wireshark and capture some frames when it occurs to rule the network out. Look for broadcast packets.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 10 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect an AC related issue. Maybe some sort of ground loop, a power peak/current peak.

In many cases, cheap switching-psus are a culprit.
The invention of the switching-psu caused more trouble than it's worth (imho)..

Edit: If it's a ground loop issue, turning the power plug may help.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-12-05, 17:22:

Are the printers shared with the other PC via Windows?

Yah I'd suspect windows restarting the print service when it detects printer or something doing it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kingcake wrote on 2023-12-05, 18:57:

Network cards (Ethernet, anyway) are isolated on each end using transformers. Often referred to as "magnetics" in network card parlance. This is done to prevent ground loops, etc.

Yes. Power supplies, too, if they are the good linear type with a transformer (and are not tying both grounds together).

Unfortunately, switching-psus are often badly made. Just look what's inside USB wall psus. They're often terrible designed and righteous dangerous.
Sometimes, there's a 60Hz/50Hz signal reaching the DC side, for example.

Edit: I've checked the inter webs, the MX-80 has a traditional PSU. So far so good.
*If* it's the culprit for the malfunction, a new set of capacitors may help to provide cleaner DC power.

Edit: It's not just the electrolyte caps, but the filter caps on the AC side.
Historical, these filtering caps often fail after a longer period of time.

https://mansfield-devine.com/speculatrix/2018 … -friend-part-1/

But maybe the problem is the other printer, also.
It might be possible that RF noise emitted by its PSU sneaks into the parallel cable somehow.
Depending on its lenght and physical location, it might act as an aerial for all sorts of RFI.
Adding ferrites to the cable may help.

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like it's soon to be a Maximum Overdrive situation.

You know what to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 19, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-12-05, 18:58:

Yah I'd suspect windows restarting the print service when it detects printer or something doing it.

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at.

Reply 16 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^@DosFreak Thanks, YMMD! 😁

Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-12-05, 21:33:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-12-05, 18:58:

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at.

What does the LED on the ethernet card inside the 5150 say?
If there's an imminent activity happening in same moment, it should flash or change blinking pattern?

PS: An oscillograph (scope) would really be helpful here. It could be used to visualize the data stream on the ethernet cable, as well be helping to check the AC line*.

Edit: A so called "logic analyzer" would be helpful for the checking data stream, too. Some modern scopes have it built-in.

*Probing the AC line is dangerous and not recommended for the novice.
It can help to check mains quality, though. If there's any RF noise on the power line.

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 19, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Deskjet is connected via USB to my primary modern computer and via parallel to a 386 machine

1 host | 1 printer ..... I could be wrong, but I think that's non-standard hookup (unless of course the deskjet manual says you can hookup 2 hosts to the 1 printer)?

Reply 18 of 19, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I forgot to mention that this happens whether the computers are on or not - although I haven't tried it with the 386 on. I suspect if I turned it on, it would actually stop happening.

It's definitively going through the AC power lines. I've verified that.

Yes, probably bad filter caps somewhere or something (perhaps in the 386's PSU), it's just bizarre that it causes the Deskjet to think it is receiving a new print job.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.