VOGONS

First post, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which drivers should I install under Windows 98SE/ME? There are way too many versions of this drivers.
I have Asrock 775Dual-VSTA with Core 2 Duo and dual boot system (ME + XP). I have IDE LG DVD/CD combo drive on master, on another master I have IDE to SATA converter and 128GB SanDisk SSD (for Windows 98SE/ME) connected to it. I have nothing as slaves. And I have 2 hard drives on SATA ports for Windows XP (128 GB SSD for system and 2TB SSHD for files/programs/games).
So which version of VIA 4 in 1 Hyperion (Pro) chipset drivers should I use under Windows 98SE/ME? Those versions differ a lot.
Versions up to 5.00 have IDE Filter drivers which is needed to support UDMA 6 (I activated UDMA 6 in BIOS), but is it needed for my IDE to SATA converter with 128GB SanDisk SSD and can it benefit from it? If yes, then I should choose drivers with IDE Filter drivers and if not, then I can choose drivers without it.
Versions 5.00 and 5.01 don't have IDE Filter drivers.
Then versions from 5.04 to 5.07 (if I am not mistaken) got again those IDE Filter drivers.
Then from version 5.08 they get something called PATA/SATA IDE Driver (but not IDE Filter drivers).
And then newest versions have something called VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver (I have no idea what that is).
So which version of this driver would be best in my case? I would prefer a newest driver with no drawbacks and best functionality and support in my scenario.
I also wonder if one of those drivers would let me see SATA drives under Windows 98SE/ME. I am not sure if I would want that. It could be nice functionality to see and use and copy from/to Windows XP drives under Windows 98SE/ME. But It also has a potential risk. AFAIK Windows 98SE/ME does not correctly see/understands hard drives bigger than 128GB, so if I copied some files to Windows XP 2TB hard drive under Windows 98SE/ME it could result in data corruption/overwrite.

Reply 1 of 8, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember correctly, UDMA6/133 was never an official standard. UDMA5/100 is.
You wouldn't notice the speed difference between them, let alone reach those speeds in W9x.

Maybe they just changed the name of the driver, not functionality?

Do you have issues with any of the versions?

hey I'm promoted to Oldbie 😁

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 8, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If there is an option to use UDMA6/133 then I would like to use it.
I did not test all version thoroughly. But I remember newest version(s) (5.24 for sure) failed to install 1 component (SATA something driver).

Reply 3 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I've seen UDMA 6 supported by some motherboards but it is kind of uncommon.

The only time you'd notice that difference is probably transfers between two SSDs where you would max out the sequential transfer rate. The SSD will feel super fast even if you run it on UDMA 2. It's the access time and random read/write performance that matters most.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up installing Hyperion 5.07B version because that is the last one to have IDE Filter driver for sure. And I think it is OK. But I've seen this in Phil's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX2_dm9or0Q (starting from 12:26)
He install 2 Hyperion drivers. First the newest (5.24A). Then some older version (he does not say and show which version but you can see in the video in folder 4.35 version). 5.24A has some errors and the he installs old one to pick some device that new one did not pick. Is that valid strategy? Is that better than one driver? And what that old version picks up? Is that IDE Filter driver or something else entirely?
In Windows 9x I used 5.07B because it seemed the best for me. It is relatively new, has IDE filter drivers. I am not sure if Windows 9x would benefit from newer versions. Newer versions bring SATA and SATA hot plug functions and maybe something else to the table. SATA is useless for me under Windows 9x (and could be even problematic) and even more useless is SATA hot plug function for me in Windows 9x. So what do you guys recommend: installing one driver (5.07B) or is there something about installing 2 drivers like Phil: newest + old one (maybe this old one brings something to the table that even 5.07B does not bring?)?
Also what is the best chipset driver combo for other systems?
Windows 2000 seems another problematic one. Does not have UDMA6 built in (according to internet info). So if I would want UDMA6 + SATA functions (SATA under this OS would be useful), would I need to install 2 drivers: newest (5.24A) + one with IDE Filter (for example 5.07B)? If yes, then in what order? Which one first? Older or newer?
Windows XP x86 (32-bit) seems least problematic because with Service Pack (don't remember which version) it has UDMA6 "built-in" so I think it would be best to just install newest version (5.24A) and that is all.
Windows XP x64 (64-bit) is another one with hard decision to make because there are some special Hyperion chipset 64-bit only drivers. So which to install? 5.24A or those special 64-bit only drivers? Or maybe both? If both, then in what order: 5.24A or 64-bit first?

Reply 6 of 8, by Sephiroth, The Great

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Modded version. Interesting. Might try it. What's included in it? Why people install 2 drivers under 9x? What old version picks up under 9x that newest don't?
Which versions do you recommend for other situations and OSes in my previous questions in previous post?

Reply 7 of 8, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sephiroth, The Great wrote on 2023-12-27, 08:11:

What's included in it?

Don’t know, I’m not the mod author. But I think it just fixes the inf files and broken installer.
For XP on that board I used the newest 5.24 driver for months and there was no single problem.
For Win10 you could manually force install the AGP driver but there isn’t much sense, the system performs same as with stock driver (slowly).

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports