VOGONS

First post, by DamienC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was posted for a bit and no one was biting and it was only $10 so I said what the hell and snagged it.

s-l960.jpg

I dumped the ROM for posterity, but I don't know enough about BIOS strings to figure out what board this might be for. But here's the file anyway for anybody interested.

Attachments

• Filename
    Unknown Mr BIOS.zip
    File size
    20.82 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A quick glance lends me to think that it is only half of the data.
as in either the Hi or Lo, Odd or Even part of the bios.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, agree. It is 1/2 of a two part Hi/Lo bios.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 14, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

after looking a bit more at it.

I think it was for a mainboard with an Headland HT-18 chipset. too bad half of it is missing. the mrbios archive is also missing any bios for that chipset.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 14, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: How about a MR-BIOS ROM file repository?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 14, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you validate the eprom is 27128? Looked under the sticker, etc?
Because it might happen that the chip is a variety of 27256, storing both halves of the bios.

Recently I was dumping the dead Realtek VGA card's bios. There are two eprom's, the silkscreen had 27128 text under the sockets, while the actual IC's were two different parts, each is an equivalent of 27256, both filled with odd/even bytes in hi/lo halves of the rom, and the rom with hi sticker had swapped hi/lo halves relative to the rom with lo sticker.

Reply 7 of 14, by DamienC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My TL866-II couldn't detect the chip properly, but my GQ-3X detected it as an AMD AM27C256 and I dumped it as that. I can take another look at it tonight, but I'm really reluctant to pull off the sticker to find out. It just looks so damn nice 🤣.

But as a MR. BIOS enjoyer I also want every variant to be out there for the public to be able to try. So I'll check it out again later tonight.

Reply 8 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just say on TL866 software that it is some kind of 27c512 eprom, uncheck 'check ID' option on bottom left corner of Xgrpo program and proceed to read the chip - it will work and won't cause any damage.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 14, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-12-10, 06:25:

Just say on TL866 software that it is some kind of 27c512 eprom, uncheck 'check ID' option on bottom left corner of Xgrpo program and proceed to read the chip - it will work and won't cause any damage.

Btw, the 'pin detect' test also might fail, and should be turned off if you don't know the eprom type. It's safe for reading.
One of IC's on that Realtek VGA had failed the pin detect, but did read out totally ok. Idk, maybe it's some low power cmos eprom, while TL866 tried to probe it as ttl, and failed. I didn't want to remove stickers too 😀

Reply 11 of 14, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’ve had good luck with razor and heat. Just goes right back on. I don’t fully remove it.

Write model on bottom of chip when done

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would just do what Keropi said and use a random 27C512 do a dump. If it comes out mirrored you know the chips is 32KByte one and half the data really is missing.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 14 of 14, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DamienC wrote on 2023-12-10, 00:06:

My TL866-II couldn't detect the chip properly, but my GQ-3X detected it as an AMD AM27C256 and I dumped it as that. I can take another look at it tonight, but I'm really reluctant to pull off the sticker to find out. It just looks so damn nice 🤣.

But as a MR. BIOS enjoyer I also want every variant to be out there for the public to be able to try. So I'll check it out again later tonight.

Try dumping it as the AM27C256 with the TL866 too. If the XGPro software doesn't complain about the chip ID, you got it right. No need to remove the sticker then 😀

If the ID is wrong, you could experiment with the ID check button in the XGPro software after selecting AM27C256 . Haven't tried that function myself, so I really don't know what it does, but with any luck it should give you the actual ID as long as you at least select a chip from the same family with the same pin count (read: 28 pins). It's highly likely it's a 27 or 28, or perhaps even a 29 series one.

Regrettably (?) I'm gone skiing for a week more, not having my hardware available. Could check it out and see what possibilities there are identifying unknown parallell (E)EPROMs once I'm back home if you fail to figure it out yourself.