VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two retro PC's with a Asus P5A-B rev 1.04 mainboard. I have DOS 6.22 installed. When I format a floppy disk I hear a terrible uninterrupted beep coming out of the PC-speaker. In both PC's I have a soundcard, one with a Mozart OTI601 rev B and the other with a Creative AWE 64 Gold. The same beep comes with the Sound FX of Duke Nukem 3d on the Mozart card. I can end the beep only by power off or resetting the computer with the reset button. In my other retro PC's I don't have this problem. Is there anybody who knows this problem and can help me solving it.

Reply 2 of 16, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This introduces a new dimension of the hanging note bug.

First thing which comes to mind is indeed some boot sector virus protection, but this should come from the PC speaker (if not routed through a sound card).

It could also be some resource conflict, but i'm guessing you're not using IRQ #6 for sound.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 16, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2023-12-15, 12:35:

This introduces a new dimension of the hanging note bug.

First thing which comes to mind is indeed some boot sector virus protection, but this should come from the PC speaker (if not routed through a sound card).

It could also be some resource conflict, but i'm guessing you're not using IRQ #6 for sound.

The beep is indeed coming from the PC speaker, not from the Mozart. As far as I can see is an IRQ-conflict out of the question.

Reply 4 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly are you doing? The "format a:" command?
What happens when formatting using other tools, eg. under Windows?
No problems with reading and writing, only with formatting, right?
Have you tried with minimum software config, ie. empty CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT ?
Have you tried with minimum hardware config, ie. no cards other than graphics?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 5 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easiest way to narrow down hardware issues is: remove everything not essential. If the motherboard with nothing but video card booting DOS on an HD and then you try to format a floppy gives an error you then there is a big issue.
Have you tested the floppy drives in other computers ? Are you using a beta or patched bios ? What video card ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 16, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed on the PC nothing but DOS 6.22 and removed all the cards except the NVidia videocard (PCI slot). Further on I had a PS2 mouse installed. Starting format A: caused once again the beep as mentioned in the posts above. With an S3 video card instead of the NVidia the result was the same. I want to try if the beep is coming under windows 3.11.

Reply 8 of 16, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
egbertjan wrote on 2023-12-16, 11:06:

The beep is not coming when I do format a: under Windows 98 SE. I will do some of the other tests.

Win95 and later systems do not use BIOS to access floppy drives in favour of 32-bit protected mode code, and that would explain why there are no beeps. The boot sector protection code is not being triggered.

Did you try DISKCOPY in pure DOS? AFAIK it will overwrite the bootsector so that should trigger the BIOS during write as well.

Reply 9 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's also software for DOS that accesses the FDC directly - try eg. Diskdupe.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 10 of 16, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-12-19, 14:35:

Win95 and later systems do not use BIOS to access floppy drives in favour of 32-bit protected mode code, and that would explain why there are no beeps. The boot sector protection code is not being triggered.

Yeah... I noticed that so far OP has not said a peep about having looked into this. Whenever I volunteer to help people and they flat out ignore my suggestions, I've found it's overall best for my mental health to just abandon thread. Maybe they come around later, maybe not, no skin off my back. But if you have the time and nerves to keep prodding, more power to you.

Reply 11 of 16, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have loaded the default settings in the BIOS and compared all the settings with the ones I entered before. I found out that the Delayed Transaction must be disabled. When it is enabled I get the beep after format A:. It also turned out that the problem with the Mozart soundcard was over. Does anybody know what the function of the Delayed Transaction is?

Reply 12 of 16, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
egbertjan wrote on 2023-12-19, 20:08:

I have loaded the default settings in the BIOS and compared all the settings with the ones I entered before. I found out that the Delayed Transaction must be disabled. When it is enabled I get the beep after format A:. It also turned out that the problem with the Mozart soundcard was over. Does anybody know what the function of the Delayed Transaction is?

is it this https://www.techarp.com/bios-guide/delayed-transaction/ ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 13 of 16, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
egbertjan wrote on 2023-12-19, 20:08:

I found out that the Delayed Transaction must be disabled. When it is enabled I get the beep after format A:. It also turned out that the problem with the Mozart soundcard was over.

That is very odd. I wonder if there might be a bug in the BIOS code, and the floppy routine is somehow tripping it unless the mobo/chipset is set to specific values that don't trigger the bug?
The Mozart card might indeed have some issues with Delayed Transaction but the FDC is part of the mobo. If you have free ISA slots you could try disabling the onboard FDC (and perhaps IDE as well) and adding extra ISA-based card to handle floppies and HDD. Just for testing, to see if that too triggers the beep.

BTW posting some photos of your BIOS settings could be useful at this point, maybe someone can spot a setting that can be tweaked.

Reply 14 of 16, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here I post the photos Deunan asked for.

20231226_201920.jpg
Filename
20231226_201920.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20231226_201936.jpg
Filename
20231226_201936.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
20231226_194737.jpg
Filename
20231226_194737.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
20231226_194654.jpg
Filename
20231226_194654.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
20231226_194614.jpg
Filename
20231226_194614.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license

Besides, is there someone who can give suggestions for better settings?

Reply 16 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-12-27, 00:06:

"Floppy disk access control" is a curious option. What are the choices under that?

R/W
Read Only