VOGONS

First post, by 3VILC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so have a bit of an odd one with my Deskpro 2000.
Had been working find in stock trim, opened it up this morning to fit an SB32 so I can actually put some games on it. And it started locking up at the drive detect process.
My instant thought was the IDE controller on the SB is messing with the drive detection process. So I took the SB out again. Still the same thing.
So next I set the Clear CMOS jumper incase the PnP had messed with something. Now it counts ram and just stops with a constant beep. Have pulled all the ram, swapped ram around between slots, tried ram 1 at a time in all slots, no change. At one point it did seem to go into Boot Block Fail-safe mode, so I made a Romflash disk, which it seemed to boot and do something, but just ended up back with same count ram then constantly beep deal, a POST card at this point seems to just flicker between what looks like 10, 14, and possibly other numbers starting with 1. I can't find a listing for post codes that seems to make much sense at this point so now I'm a little lost (71, and 70 is correct when counting ram, but the 17, 34 it stops at with no ram doesn't make sense in the same list (17 Clear Cmos Diag flags, 34 Verify Cmos Checksum)). This is stripped back to no drives or extra cards plugged in at all.
Not sure if allowed here but I uploaded a video of this behaviour to youtube:
https://youtu.be/K6l8nixkytg

Appreciate if anyone can offer any advice what to try next. I have a feeling the bios rom is toast

Reply 1 of 5, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is the power supply doing?
Have you tried other RAM?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 5, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you enter the hard disk parameters in BIOS? If so, clear them out and try again. Also you can't connect a hard disk to a SB.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 5, by 3VILC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have tried swapping on various ram, though I doubt the chances of all 3 randomly dying at once. Normally it runs 96mb as 16mb 16mb 64mb DIMMs.
Power supply seems fine, 5.01 on the 5v rail and 11.98 on the 12v rail.
Although I just noticed the 3.3v LED on the post card isn't on in a PCI slot which I think it should be. No idea why it's on in a PCI slot but it's on in my 286 ISA slots too. So maybe I need to check that with the multimeter at the psu connector.
*Edit just checked this 3.3v is 3.56 so a little on the high side perhaps

Last edited by 3VILC on 2023-12-16, 12:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by 3VILC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2023-12-16, 11:30:

Did you enter the hard disk parameters in BIOS? If so, clear them out and try again. Also you can't connect a hard disk to a SB.

The bios is fully autodetecting when functioning, there is no way to enter the bios on a non booting Compaq as the bios setup is stored on the hard drive. Nothing was connected to the SB ide port and the system was previously working fine