VOGONS

First post, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PCPartner Baby At motherboard. It seems that it refuses to make mouse and USB keyboard work.
I can confirm USB keyboard works when using in BIOS but doesn't work anymore on booting Linux, Windows 98 and even restarting to DOS mode.
Do people here have experience with this issue? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you know the model of the motherboard or supply a good picture ?
Most Pentium SS7 motherboards do not support USB keyboards in DOS and are often flaky in Win9x unless you have the proper drivers.
I bet you have PS2 ports on that board 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get an expansion slot cover with a PS/2 port and short lead (they often include a parallel port as well) and hook that up to the board. The pin layout for the header on the board might be funky so you might need to trace out which pins are doing what. Then you'll just want an AT to PS/2 keyboard adapter and you'll be good to go. Leave that new-fangled USB nonsense to the modern systems 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2023-12-23, 09:22:

You can get an expansion slot cover with a PS/2 port and short lead (they often include a parallel port as well) and hook that up to the board. The pin layout for the header on the board might be funky so you might need to trace out which pins are doing what. Then you'll just want an AT to PS/2 keyboard adapter and you'll be good to go. Leave that new-fangled USB nonsense to the modern systems 😉

I got an Ali based usb card expansion it works pretty good.
I also had some time to research my issue. I tested with a simple multimeter and a cut usb cable load voltage and load intesity for a simple device that uses only power rails of USB.
On a working old laptop and the pci card I got 3V and 100ma values.
On onboard usb from this motherboard only 2.5V and 20ma.