VOGONS

First post, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

I had to replace the motherboard in an old Gateway 4SX-25 that has seen better days. I was lucky enough to find a board out of a 4DX2-50. It has the ISA/PCI Riser, and thanks to this link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … _ram_will_that/

I was able to determine that the board is an Anigma LP4IP1. Does anyone know where I can find the CPU jumper settings? Using multiple combinations, I was able to get the machine to show a 486 DX2 66 at one point, but the CPU is a 486 DX2-50. Seemingly all other jumper combinations resulted in this:

CPU = ??? ???

If I have to I'll whittle away the combinations until I find the right one, but it will take a bit of time. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/anigma-lp4ip1 but missing the jumper info. May be evasive knows ?
The Gateway archive does not have that board listed afaik: https://web.archive.org/web/20000817073743/ht … ard/index.shtml

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vintageGuy81 wrote on 2023-12-30, 12:31:
Hello All, […]
Show full quote

Hello All,

I had to replace the motherboard in an old Gateway 4SX-25 that has seen better days. I was lucky enough to find a board out of a 4DX2-50. It has the ISA/PCI Riser, and thanks to this link:

I was able to determine that the board is an Anigma LP4IP1. Does anyone know where I can find the CPU jumper settings? Using multiple combinations, I was able to get the machine to show a 486 DX2 66 at one point, but the CPU is a 486 DX2-50. Seemingly all other jumper combinations resulted in this:

CPU = ??? ???

If I have to I'll whittle away the combinations until I find the right one, but it will take a bit of time. Thanks!

Hopefully this guide by Gateway guru, Ben Myers, should give you the info you need. I've also attached the latest BIOS for the board (Phoenix v4.04.9) in case you don't have it. Will also pass these onto The Retro Web team shortly.

Filename
Gateway LP4IP1 (MBDPCI004AxWW) Guide.pdf
File size
164.35 KiB
Downloads
18 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
lp4049.exe
File size
166.43 KiB
Downloads
16 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-12-30, 15:00:

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/anigma-lp4ip1 but missing the jumper info. May be evasive knows ?
The Gateway archive does not have that board listed afaik: https://web.archive.org/web/20000817073743/ht … ard/index.shtml

Thank you so much. The closest I got after digging was this one, but the jumper numbers were off and the images don't seem to be loading.
https://web.archive.org/web/20011230000923/ht … bat486ip2.shtml

Reply 4 of 9, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-30, 21:04:
Hopefully this guide by Gateway guru, Ben Myers, should give you the info you need. I've also attached the latest BIOS for the […]
Show full quote
Hello All, […]
Show full quote

Hello All,

CPU = ??? ???

Hopefully this guide by Gateway guru, Ben Myers, should give you the info you need. I've also attached the latest BIOS for the board (Phoenix v4.04.9) in case you don't have it. Will also pass these onto The Retro Web team shortly.

lp4049.exe

THANK YOU! I was two jumpers off. I was able to get it to show "486 DX2 50 Mhz" ONCE. On a power cycle, it returned to the "??? ??? Mhz" display for the CPU. After playing around a little, I've confirmed that the CPU will be identified correctly one time IF and ONLY IF the CMOS is discharged. The Dallas RTC's battery is toast, so I have an external holder with 3 AAs totaling 4.5V. When that block is connected to the external battery pins and you restart, or if you connect the battery block first then turn the machine on, the CPU won't be identified properly. It's WEIRD. I'm wondering if the AAs are discharged and not able to support the RTC.

Last thing I noticed, when the CPU isn't correctly identified, the machine will go as far as counting the RAM, then it will freeze. Given how older boards behave with low batteries, I'll try switching out the batteries tomorrow and see if the behavior changes.

Oh, and my bios is 4.04.9 already, but will download the file happily and keep it in case. If there is some way I can repay the kindness please let me know. Thanks for the "goodies"!

Reply 5 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vintageGuy81 wrote on 2023-12-31, 05:06:
THANK YOU! I was two jumpers off. I was able to get it to show "486 DX2 50 Mhz" ONCE. On a power cycle, it returned to the "? […]
Show full quote
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-30, 21:04:
Hopefully this guide by Gateway guru, Ben Myers, should give you the info you need. I've also attached the latest BIOS for the […]
Show full quote
Hello All, […]
Show full quote

Hello All,

CPU = ??? ???

lp4049.exe

THANK YOU! I was two jumpers off. I was able to get it to show "486 DX2 50 Mhz" ONCE. On a power cycle, it returned to the "??? ??? Mhz" display for the CPU. After playing around a little, I've confirmed that the CPU will be identified correctly one time IF and ONLY IF the CMOS is discharged. The Dallas RTC's battery is toast, so I have an external holder with 3 AAs totaling 4.5V. When that block is connected to the external battery pins and you restart, or if you connect the battery block first then turn the machine on, the CPU won't be identified properly. It's WEIRD. I'm wondering if the AAs are discharged and not able to support the RTC.

Last thing I noticed, when the CPU isn't correctly identified, the machine will go as far as counting the RAM, then it will freeze. Given how older boards behave with low batteries, I'll try switching out the batteries tomorrow and see if the behavior changes.

Oh, and my bios is 4.04.9 already, but will download the file happily and keep it in case. If there is some way I can repay the kindness please let me know. Thanks for the "goodies"!

No problem...glad to help. Your board (Anigma 486 PCI Integrated w/P24T MB) is listed on the Gateway archive (near the foot of the page) but info is sadly lacking and file links are dead, hence why Ben Myers efforts in this area prove so useful.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041206165845/ht … =dt_mot001.html

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good finds PCHP.. I saw there was nothing at Gateway. Micro Firmware did have some minor stuff including some of Ben Meyers notes.
Where did you find the manual ?
Here is the BIOS files from Micro Firmware "recovery disk for the Anigma LP4IP1 motherboard" w/bios 4.04.D. Noted the bios file 4.04.D is dated newer than 4.04.9 by a few months

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2023-12-31, 20:42:

Good finds PCHP.. I saw there was nothing at Gateway. Micro Firmware did have some minor stuff including some of Ben Meyers notes.
Here is the BIOS files from Micro Firmware "recovery disk for the Anigma LP4IP1 motherboard" w/bios 4.04.D. Noted the bios file 4.04.D is dated newer than 4.04.9 by a few months

Found it at alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 on Google Groups - Ben Myers was a regular contributer there (I distilled it into the PDF guide). I've passed the guide plus the 3 original Gateway BIOS versions (4.04.D, 4.04.7 & 4.04.9) onto TRW team.

Reply 8 of 9, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-31, 23:39:

Found it at alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 on Google Groups - Ben Myers was a regular contributer there (I distilled it into the PDF guide). I've passed the guide plus the 3 original Gateway BIOS versions (4.04.D, 4.04.7 & 4.04.9) onto TRW team.

Thanks again! I tried letting the machine post and when it stopped on an error with the correct CPU ID, I then plugged in the external battery and went into setup. It now saves the time/date and the CPU ID, but throws an "RTC Failure" issue. I have a new Dallas RTC on the way, hopefully that solves the rest.

Reply 9 of 9, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vintageGuy81 wrote on 2024-01-04, 12:49:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-31, 23:39:

Thanks again! I tried letting the machine post and when it stopped on an error with the correct CPU ID, I then plugged in the external battery and went into setup. It now saves the time/date and the CPU ID, but throws an "RTC Failure" issue. I have a new Dallas RTC on the way, hopefully that solves the rest.

Thanks for your help everyone. A new RTC and wrestling with the IDE controllers on the 4DX2-50 board and it boots now. It doesn't like DOS 6.22, even with an overlay. If I use Windows 95 instead, the disk stops giving me trouble. The last thing is the PCI/ISA riser board. There is a connector on the one side of it that is the same style as the P8/P9 connectors, but it's 6 pin. I'm wondering if the riser board needs power from the supply. I'm looking for a picture of an original power supply to see if they had it. I suspect this because the ISA sound card that is connected is not even detected.