VOGONS

First post, by xylolfrei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I have recently come in to possession of a Pine Technology PT-430 motherboard. It required new capacitors and some trace repair from battery damage but she came back to life.
You can find the retroweb page here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pine-t … chnology-pt-430

It is a very capable motherboard released towards the end of the socket 3 era and supports DX4 processors.

However...

In order to support DX4 chips that run at ~3.3 volts, Pine Tech would sell an optional daughter board containing a voltage regulator that plugged into headers on the board and stepped down the standard 5 volts to 3.3 volts. As you can probably guess, this daughter board is unobtainium at this point.

Therefore, I come to you in the slim hope that someone out there is in possession of this daughter-board and could upload high-res photos of both sides. That way, I could reproduce the board and unlock the true potential of the PT-430. From the photos I can find online, it seems like a relatively simple board but being able to see the traces and values of components would be incredibly helpful.

So far to go but can't turn back though
Cheap tobacco, cup of black Joe
Fueling my body, jump-starting my soul
Set my mind on cruise control

Reply 1 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xylolfrei wrote on 2023-12-31, 09:28:
Hello everyone! […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone!

I have recently come in to possession of a Pine Technology PT-430 motherboard. It required new capacitors and some trace repair from battery damage but she came back to life.

It is a very capable motherboard released towards the end of the socket 3 era and supports DX4 processors.

However...

In order to support DX4 chips that run at ~3.3 volts, Pine Tech would sell an optional daughter board containing a voltage regulator that plugged into headers on the board and stepped down the standard 5 volts to 3.3 volts. As you can probably guess, this daughter board is unobtainium at this point.

Therefore, I come to you in the slim hope that someone out there is in possession of this daughter-board and could upload high-res photos of both sides. That way, I could reproduce the board and unlock the true potential of the PT-430. From the photos I can find online, it seems like a relatively simple board but being able to see the traces and values of components would be incredibly helpful.

Welcome to Vogons 😀

There was a member with this board & VRM combo (though not been active here for over a year) - you can't send PMs yet but you could reply to his post re. the board and see if you get a response - Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 2 of 8, by xylolfrei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-12-31, 18:08:
xylolfrei wrote on 2023-12-31, 09:28:
Hello everyone! […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone!

However...

Welcome to Vogons 😀

There was a member with this board & VRM combo (though not been active here for over a year) - you can't send PMs yet but you could reply to his post re. the board and see if you get a response - Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Thanks! I'll give it a go.

Reply 3 of 8, by Axman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might actually have one over, just opened a machine that had rather bad corrosion so the keyboard is dead on it. My skills are not enogh to fix it but the machine actually had a little bag inside with an unused daughterboard and I dont think I will use this. A bit far away however, Im in Sweden. 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Axman wrote on 2024-02-04, 19:23:

I might actually have one over, just opened a machine that had rather bad corrosion so the keyboard is dead on it. My skills are not enogh to fix it but the machine actually had a little bag inside with an unused daughterboard and I dont think I will use this. A bit far away however, Im in Sweden. 😀

Can you take some very good pictures (front, back, top and bottom) of this adapter and post them please ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by Axman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-02-05, 00:42:

Can you take some very good pictures (front, back, top and bottom) of this adapter and post them please ?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    956.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    882.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    820.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 8, by Axman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And the last 3, I hope they are clear enough!

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    Filename
    8.jpg
    File size
    830.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 7.jpg
    Filename
    7.jpg
    File size
    1004.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    961.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 8, by xylolfrei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Axman wrote on 2024-02-11, 17:44:

And the last 3, I hope they are clear enough!

Wow! Thank you so much!

I was not aware of the DX2-80 issue. Many of the photos else where show the R1 pin header and I had wondered what it was for. Now we know!

Could I trouble you for one more photo of the under side of the daughter board from directly above? I would very much appreciate it and it would make it a little bit easier to follow the traces as the current underside photo is at an angle.

From what I can see so far, JP2 appears to be 5V pass through, JP5 is ground and JP4 is 3.3v input. The board is double layered so that makes it a bit tricky. The EZ1085CT is interesting. 3 amps seems like overkill for cpus of this era? Perhaps they are playing it safe by not running the voltage regulator it the limit.

In any case, thank you everyone for your replies.

Reply 8 of 8, by Axman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem, I hope that these pictures can help you out. Glad to give some info about the jumpers there with the little add-on manual. It gives a little bit of history too and that is fun and not only the technical details that are interesting in its own.

Attaching a better image here, hopefully the angle is better now.

Attachments