VOGONS

First post, by hpxca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I am hoping for some help from folks on the board here. I am old enough to have used/played games on an 80486 but young enough to have never built one (I had one as a kid). I decided to put one together and picked up a bunch of parts from a local guy with A LOT of old stuff in his basement. To keep the story reasonably short I got the following from him:

-256kB L2 Cache via 8x 256kb SRAM chips + 1 256kb chip in the TAG slot (these are all 20ns chips, but made by two different manufacturers)
-1x UC4913 Rev 2.0 motherboard which as I understand was made by ECS.
-1x Intel 80486 DX2-66 CPU
-8x 30-pin SIMM modules, 4MB each, for a total of 32MB RAM (all modules are identical)
-1x 16-bit ISA multi I/O card of an unknown brand (it shows P/N EP2C100M-2 with a hand-written serial number below)
-1x Trident 8900CL 16-Bit ISA VGA card with 1MB of RAM (it was basically new in the box with all drivers/manuals etc)
-1x SB16 16-Bit ISA CT2830 board

This motherboard uses an external battery, and so there was no battery damage on it, and the board appeared to be in new condition. I replaced the battery with a 3.6V Lithium Thionyl Chloride one and connected it to the board.

For disks I am using a IDE-CF adapter with a 4GB CF card and a GoTek floppy emulator with the HXC third-party firmware on it. I put all this together and it boots just fine, CMOS settings are also properly saved with the new battery. I installed MS-DOS 6.22 from floppies (via the emulator) and one of the first things I did was do a "mem /c".

MS-DOS reported zero upper memory inuse or available (HIMEM.SYS is being loaded and the memory test passes), it also showed some "reserved" memory. I disabled "memory remapping" in the BIOS and the "reserved" value went away, but upper memory available remains at zero.

I fiddled for a while in the BIOS and I was unable to find any way to make any upper memory available to DOS on this system. Does anyone have any ideas? With no upper memory i'm going to have a lot of trouble running many games and i'll have to constantly (even more then was normal for DOS) fiddle with the loaded drivers to try to get enough conventional memory. I just can't believe that there is no way to gain access to the UMA on this board?

SOLVED - I ran memmaker and after it modified my config.sys I suddenly had 158k of high memory. It must have been something with respect to the content of the config.sys. It is now as follows:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
BUFFERS=30,0
FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=H
FCBS=4,0
DOS=HIGH

I will of course tweak this in the future as needed, but I'm relieved that it's not a limitation of the hardware!

Last edited by hpxca on 2024-01-01, 04:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by hpxca

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2024-01-01, 04:01:
(after DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS) and […]
Show full quote
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

(after DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS) and

DOS=HIGH,UMB

in config.sys
If you later need EMS, come back and revisit

Thanks so much for your reply, i'm sure this would have solved it too as it looks very much like what memmaker did.