VOGONS

Guess the hack purpose...

Topic actions

First post, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bjyr9WD.png

Dead rtl8129 NIC being modified for a reason ~ can you guess what the reason is? =)

Reply 5 of 28, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you removed the pci connectors my guess is that this card will end up in a pci slot but you want the system to ignore it.

You also removed the chip. So the card will not comunicate by itself.

I think you want to add an rj45 connector to another network card that don't have one. (Which use a different medium. coax ?)
By slotting this one next to the other and connecting them by some mean.

There are some cards that have both coax and rj45. And some where the rj45 connector is not populated. So i guess this could work

Cigar ?

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 8 of 28, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The goal is obviously to secure the computer from all the Internet threats.
With that card, you can still be connected, yet perfectly safe.
Only the paranoid survive!

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 10 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like "Mr. Proper" is the closest to the correct answer. We'll see...

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 11 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using it to plug a back panel hole on a low profile case OR wiring it as a xover for ether cable testing....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 28, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zerthimon wrote on 2024-01-03, 11:01:

An Ethernet loopback adapter ?

So that's the 127.0.0.1 interface! 🤣

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 15 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok I'll bite.
It doesn't make any sense to remove the PCI pins, unless you want to eventually put it in a PCI slot.
But it also doesn't make any sense to remove the bracket and have it dangling with its weight in one.
So I admit I have no idea what you plan to do with practically just a RJ45 socket that can sit in a PCI slot.

Reply 17 of 28, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2024-01-03, 13:54:

But it also doesn't make any sense to remove the bracket and have it dangling with its weight in one.

It's more convenient to temporary remove the bracket while scraping out the PCI slot contact pads/fingers.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 18 of 28, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 ....glad all you hoopy froods remembered to bring your towels... lots of .. 'inventive' guesses there =)

But still no cigar....

analog_programmer wrote on 2024-01-03, 16:14:

It's more convenient to temporary remove the bracket while scraping out the PCI slot contact pads/fingers.

...yes, that's correct ~ bracket's been temporarily removed to facilitate process ... it will be going back on...

Next visual clue.... made some measurements, decided to use the nibblers to start cutting out excess...

CmeBbP4.png

Reply 19 of 28, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe an adapter for hooking up an old RJ45 connected HP keyboard to a more common interface?

I have some such things, but I'm not sure an RJ45 is a good fit, the connector was a bit thinner I think.