VOGONS

First post, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have number of old systems with various 386, 486 and pentium 1 and 2 motherboards.

All have original power supplies but for peace of mind, i was thinking of replacing them with new ones.

However, using new modern atx psus is not ideal / wont work as they dont have -5V and I dont see ready made adapters that would have this built in (If I am wrong pls share a link where I can but some).

So, after much googling, I came across this :

New 300W PSU For Antec AT With Switch adjustable PC Power Spark Machine PP-300V Power P8P9 115/230V Power Supply

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNerzsk

Cost is ok, I’d be happy to buy 10 of them and use in all my old systems but I thought I’ll check here with the experts before I go ahead.

Alternatively, am I reading it right that older ATX power supplies that had the 20pin power connector still carried negative 5V on them? And only since introduction of 24pin psus they dropped the -5v? If yes then should I try to find an atx psu thats 20pin ? Should be much easier than looking for AT psu. I can then use simple 20pin to AT power supply cable like this?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/145423958521?mkci … emis&media=COPY

Thanks for comments and input !

Reply 1 of 19, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Applicable Brand: For Antec"
Says it all. You are better off recapping old supplies.

>dont have -5V and I dont see ready made adapters that would have this built in (If I am wrong pls share a link where I can but some).

ATX to AT pico Adapter! + Fan Headers Soft on/off, -5v, and 3.3v (Released)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 19, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a AT Antec PP-xxxV and it looks nothing like the one on those pictures. Best case it's not a gutless paperweight but some okay-ish refurbed unit from the 90' in a new cheap case, or some low power hacked ATX unit.

Reply 6 of 19, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've made the mistake of buying a couple cheap modern AT power supplies. They're cheaply made garbage. One of them was even fraudulently labeled as an Antec supply when it clearly was not.

You're better off sticking with authentic vintage supplies or using quality modern ATX supplies with AT adapters.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 19, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im happy to use modern atx supplies but they dont have the -5v and i cant build the adapter myself and cant find anywhere where i can buy one, for reasonable price. Eapecially as i need quite few.

Also, i have been looking for an ATX psu that has -5v but found only few 2nd hand and ridiculously overpriced. Eg i bought a full 486 dx2 setup for $150 and the psu alone is $100.

Reply 8 of 19, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think all you need for the -5v is a Voltage Blaster. Then you can use any sort of PSU you like.

I haven't personally built one but it looks like a really simple project, if you're feeling even just a bit adventurous with soldering. Otherwise, it looks like people are selling them pre-built on eBay as well.

Reply 9 of 19, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You add -5V with ONE $0.15 big and easy to solder chip - LM7905 https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Linear-Vo … C_C3749972.html

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure you even need -5v not many cards require it.
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

With modern PSU's I'd be more looking at how many molex connectors it has.
Personally I like modular PSU's so I can remove all the useless SATA and PCI-E cords while I'm at it.

Reply 11 of 19, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So if i get the voltage blaster pcb

Will these work?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153016510556?mkci … emis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/192606060816?mkci … emis&media=COPY

There are various version of the regulator LM7905 … ending with CT and CV, not sure which to get.

Reply 12 of 19, by Omarkoman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-03, 23:53:
Are you sure you even need -5v not many cards require it. ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V […]
Show full quote

Are you sure you even need -5v not many cards require it.
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

With modern PSU's I'd be more looking at how many molex connectors it has.
Personally I like modular PSU's so I can remove all the useless SATA and PCI-E cords while I'm at it.

Oh is that it? Thought there were lots!!! 🤦🏻

Reply 13 of 19, by Runar77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Warning: You should NOT buy this PSU.

I just received one of these (Item name at Ebay was"AT 300W Antec P-300V", but it is labeled PP-300V).

So I installed it tonight, in a "new" 486-system I just built, and at first it seemed to work. The computer beeped once, I got a picture, it checked the RAM, and correctly informed me that my keyboard was not present. Then everything around me went dark. It blew the fuse for my room.

I turned off the computer, turned the fuse back on, and tried again...nothing. The PSU didn't even start the fan.

So I installed the old PSU. The PSU-fan start spinning, but nothing else. I think the Antec PSU must have destroyed my motherboard or something.

(Any tips to what I can check?)

Reply 15 of 19, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Runar77 wrote on 2024-01-21, 17:49:

I just received one of these (Item name at Ebay was"AT 300W Antec P-300V", but it is labeled PP-300V).
I think the Antec PSU

Its NOT a real Antec, its Chinese counterfeit. Open it up, take couple of pictures and upload so we can all see what is and isnt inside of this thing please.

Reply 16 of 19, by Runar77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some pictures here. I don't know much about power supplies, but this doesn't look good.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 19, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reused ATX unit. Only good things are the partial EMI input filtering and the size 35 main transformer, maybe for parts to fix up another unit. Standby circuit and the 3.3V rectification components are still in, output wiring removed. Has some burnt glue and some fresh silastics here and there. A rusty screwhead is visalbe holding the 12V diode on that long, secondary heatsink indicating corrosion and possible heat damage. The capacitors seem like a mixture of old and new chineese brands. The fuse probalby blew due to some short in the primary. This is ovepriced junk.

Reply 18 of 19, by Runar77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DAVE86 wrote on 2024-01-22, 08:40:

Reused ATX unit. Only good things are the partial EMI input filtering and the size 35 main transformer, maybe for parts to fix up another unit. Standby circuit and the 3.3V rectification components are still in, output wiring removed. Has some burnt glue and some fresh silastics here and there. A rusty screwhead is visalbe holding the 12V diode on that long, secondary heatsink indicating corrosion and possible heat damage. The capacitors seem like a mixture of old and new chineese brands. The fuse probalby blew due to some short in the primary. This is ovepriced junk.

Could this have led to the death of my motherboard? If so, is there an easy way to check and/or fix it?
And could it have killed some of the other components?

Oh, and by the way, when I try with another PSU the CPU gets warm, and there is a really short "scratch" from the PC speaker.

But I guess I'll better make a new post about this.