VOGONS

First post, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A Google search shows a few FPGA projects that seem a little academic or otherwise unfinished.

Is there a link to a product that recreates on FPGAs complete systems of an old PC Clone from the 80's and 90's?

If so, how much documentation is there about the components of the device that has a complete core of a PC clone on FPGA?

So the idea is a complete PC clone chipset, CPU, and memory on FPGA with a way to use XT-ide or maybe IDE to CF implementation of the HDD, serial port for mouse, and joystick port isa card.

In the commodore 64 industry they have the ultimate 64 which is the whole commodore 64 personal computer on FPGA and the motherboard has joystick ports and a way to connect an emulated floppy disk device. You can run original software on the ultimate 64, using the emulated disk hardware.

Reply 2 of 4, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took a quick look at the ZFx86. It is designed for embedded applications. It is for the industrial and manufacturing settings.

I just read about MiSTer. It seems to hit every specification I am asking about. Has XTide capabilities, you can use a bios image (no being stuck with what once was), and uses a SD Card for a disk.

I just have not used it. How is it out of the box. Does vga work? Do you use HDMI?
I guess it has some setting up. Or does it?

I want to try to copy the PCB for the de10 nano FPGA motherboard...one day. In that way I could recreate a PC clone using the FPGA cores.

Reply 3 of 4, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a MiSTer that I haven’t really used in a long time but I need to pull out of storage. The fun thing about a MiSTer is even if it doesn’t do what you want as a DOS machine, you’ll still be able to emulate all types of other hardware which can be a lot of fun. So basically I’m saying it’s a low risk-to-fun ratio product 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did it have vga? Is video output over HDMI?

So, it may not work as a replacement for a real IBM XT where the software is not so easily fooled, but you get a XT core where you can do experiments with MFM floppies or experiment with the chipset? Albeit an FPGA core version of the chipset.