VOGONS

First post, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I acquired a 5166 model a few years ago and got around to refurbing it recently - of course being stymied every step of the way.

There is no directly accessing the BIOS; I have to image a few floppy drives and install a DOS based Setup program to an empty HDD. The problem is that even though I've tried a few different versions of the Setup software, it keeps telling me the hardware is incompatible somewhere near the end of the process. It's extra frustrating because all the other diagnostic features work without a hitch. After some homework I noticed my motherboard is SLIGHTLY different from the ones you can find on the web; they all have 3 memory slots while mine has 4 but otherwise identical as far as I can tell. The only results from my specific motherboard are a Korean auction site.

Another possibility: the desktop shows signs of... creative IT solutions from the previous owner. This might be interfering with the software identifying the PC.

I suppose I COULD get it working without all that. It's not throwing any errors on boot and the old copy of Win95 starts up fine. But I don't want to, I guess?

bb

Reply 2 of 12, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First you need to identify your mainboard, and to which model Compaq it belongs. Then use the corresponding image disks to install the BIOS on an empty drive. It will create a small partition at the start of a disk.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 12, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2024-01-06, 14:49:

First you need to identify your mainboard,

I have already identified the motherboard as being different from the models in all the documentation I can find, even though the machine is badged "Compaq Deskpro 2000" and the POST display says likewise.

Reply 4 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bucket wrote on 2024-01-06, 23:22:
PD2JK wrote on 2024-01-06, 14:49:

First you need to identify your mainboard,

I have already identified the motherboard as being different from the models in all the documentation I can find, even though the machine is badged "Compaq Deskpro 2000" and the POST display says likewise.

Sounds more like the old Intel HX based boards - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/compaq … ro-2000-pentium

If this seems like a better match to yours, try the attached Diagnostics/Setup package

Filename
SP4711.EXE
File size
2.1 MiB
Downloads
14 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
SP4711.TXT
File size
3.59 KiB
Downloads
13 downloads
File license

Reply 6 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If this version still doesn't play ball then see if you can get us a part number off the system board - I'd be expecting to see one of the following or very similar (last 3 digits might be slightly different)...

005505-101
005495-101
243048-001
243099-001
243111-001

Reply 7 of 12, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-01-07, 09:36:

If this version still doesn't play ball then see if you can get us a part number off the system board - I'd be expecting to see one of the following or very similar (last 3 digits might be slightly different)...

the part # is 005505-013 rev BH
...which is on a sticker covering the original part #, 055505-101.

Reply 8 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems right...so basically the layout as picc'd - that should be the correct setup/diag package then (confirmed against the archived support page for the Deskpro 2000 5166)

CPQ 005505_005506.JPG
Filename
CPQ 005505_005506.JPG
File size
392.55 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9 of 12, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I have the diagnostic partition set up. I imagine the earlier problems were related to an incompatibility with an 8GB drive I was using (even though the BIOS should support it).

So next came the process of installing DOS, finding a CDROM driver, and running Win98se setup. This was also a slow process due to most of the floppies I own being unreadable - or they work but for whatever reason, don't meet the requirements for a system disk. I was halted halfway through the 98 install with a "device not ready" error. I REALLY hope the problem is with my crusty, scratchy CD copy and not with the drive itself.

Reply 10 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can copy the Win98 folder off the CD onto the hard drive and run the install from there if you wanted.
Not only will you get any errors during the copy rather than the install itself but installing windows will be much quicker as well

Reply 11 of 12, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The copy completed but there were still problems on install. Fortunately I found a second CD to point to.

Win98se is up and running, with some minor glitches. Video and audio are producing weird artifacts - stuttering and stuck lines - which might be a memory or CPU problem as much as anything else. The sound card is a Dell Creative AudioPCI that installed without a hitch, though it does seem to have some compatibility problems (which could be the old conundrum of running DOS games natively vs. in Windows).

I found some generic USB drivers for a card I found, so now I have a nice little card reader on the front panel of my DOS machine.

Reply 12 of 12, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-09, 02:21:

You can copy the Win98 folder off the CD onto the hard drive and run the install from there if you wanted.
Not only will you get any errors during the copy rather than the install itself but installing windows will be much quicker as well

For Win9x it is allways a good idea to have the installation folder on the HDD.
Windows will ask for the installation media after any config change you make e.g. in network configuration.