VOGONS

First post, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I took a bit of a break from this project but with the new year I’d really like to finally get my Or84o pc up and running. Besides my previous issues I’ve now come up with a new error on my pc. Neither the mouse or keyboard will work because of this error. Any ideas on where to start with this? Honestly at this point I’m will to take the board in somewhere if it needs repairs. I’m at such a loss with this thing but I really really want to make it work. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am still really green when it comes to vintage pc’s and pc building in general.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    File size
    8.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 15, by danijelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, did you maybe connect the mouse and keyboard upside down?
bottom ps2 port is for mouse and top for keyboard on this mainboard.

Attachments

• PS2.PNG
    Filename
    PS2.PNG
    File size
    78.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

I speak sarcasm as a 2nd language

Reply 3 of 15, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@danijelm, after 2 years I'd sure hope so 😀

OR840 computer and Configuration questions

@Xray1281, assume the error reads '8603 Pointing Device Error' (better quality pics would help!) - are all the keyboard / mouse settings still correct in the BIOS? . IBM lists this as either a possible device or system board failure.

Did you ever update to the latest BIOS like I mentioned previously?

At this point I'd suggest you boot a copy of the IBM Intellistation Enhanced Diagnostics program - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … -outrigger#docs - but you need a working keyboard or mouse to navigate the menus.

Reply 4 of 15, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
danijelm wrote on 2024-01-09, 12:51:

THAT is probably the most stupid way to lable connectors 😁
I understand why they did this... but numbering it this way is just bad design... Nearly all connectors and empty slots labeled between Keyboard and mouse? What were they thinking (in AVGN voice) ? 😁
Even the Sound is divided in 5,14,15... USB 18 and 3???!!!?!?!? My inner product designer is crying...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 5 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The keyboard error for some reason only shows up if the mouse isn’t also plugged in but still both do not work.

giantclam wrote on 2024-01-09, 08:35:

I only see a mouse error .... do the keyboard LEDs light up?

Reply 7 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got the pc itself hooked up to the internet but haven’t been able to update the bios. Was going to try and figure that out when this new problem occurred. Can’t seem to get into the bios now though since the mouse and keyboard ports. aren’t working. I’ll post better pictures when I am home.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-01-09, 13:32:
@danijelm, after 2 years I'd sure hope so :) […]
Show full quote

@Xray1281, assume the error reads '8603 Pointing Device Error' (better quality pics would help!) - are all the keyboard / mouse settings still correct in the BIOS? . IBM lists this as either a possible device or system board failure.

At this point I'd suggest you boot a copy of the IBM Intellistation Enhanced Diagnostics program - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … -outrigger#docs - but you need a working keyboard or mouse to navigate the menus.

Reply 8 of 15, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xray1281 wrote on 2024-01-09, 19:46:

The keyboard error for some reason only shows up if the mouse isn’t also plugged in but still both do not work.

Not what I asked, again.... do the keyboard LEDs light up?

Reply 9 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One is with the mouse attached. When I disconnect the mouse the keyboard error appears.

DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-09, 13:38:
THAT is probably the most stupid way to lable connectors :D I understand why they did this... but numbering it this way is just […]
Show full quote
danijelm wrote on 2024-01-09, 12:51:

THAT is probably the most stupid way to lable connectors 😁
I understand why they did this... but numbering it this way is just bad design... Nearly all connectors and empty slots labeled between Keyboard and mouse? What were they thinking (in AVGN voice) ? 😁
Even the Sound is divided in 5,14,15... USB 18 and 3???!!!?!?!? My inner product designer is crying...

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    File size
    7.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1542.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    File size
    6.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry. The keyboard lights flash on when it first boots then go off.

giantclam wrote on 2024-01-09, 22:40:
Xray1281 wrote on 2024-01-09, 19:46:

Not what I asked, again.... do the keyboard LEDs light up?

Reply 11 of 15, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would it run with a USB keyboard? I'm running BX boards with that ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 12 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a USB keyboard but the old pc wont boot anything. None of my CD or Floppy drives read for some reason. The BIOS says they are there but whenever I put something in them the computer says it isn't read. Which has always been my main problem. I tried a usb drive and a usb floppy drive and that wouldn't work either.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-01-09, 13:32:
@danijelm, after 2 years I'd sure hope so :) […]
Show full quote

Reply 13 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes thankfully. Only problem now is that It is still not running anything through my cd or floppy drives.

H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-01-10, 21:51:

Reply 14 of 15, by Sudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Xray1281 wrote on 2024-01-11, 04:40:

Yes thankfully. Only problem now is that It is still not running anything through my cd or floppy drives.

I had a similar issue a while back with my one 386... I'd go and replace your IDE/floppy cables if I were you. I have a raging suspicion you have something happening there that's bringing something down on the PS/2 kb/mouse bus. it's silly, but you can probably verify this by simply unplugging the IDE/Floppy cables from the box and trying the PS/2 keyboard out again. Also verify that you don't need a straight-through floppy cable for the floppy drive if you're using one with the cable twist.

but the problem for me stemmed from not all of the cable being inserted into the IDE drive I was using from moving it around. You might have something similar happening here.

gi3jzt-2.png
qxkaxq-2.png

Reply 15 of 15, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks I’ll mess around with some stuff and get a few new cables and report back.

Sudos wrote on 2024-01-11, 11:00:
Xray1281 wrote on 2024-01-11, 04:40:

I had a similar issue a while back with my one 386... I'd go and replace your IDE/floppy cables if I were you. I have a raging suspicion you have something happening there that's bringing something down on the PS/2 kb/mouse bus. it's silly, but you can probably verify this by simply unplugging the IDE/Floppy cables from the box and trying the PS/2 keyboard out again. Also verify that you don't need a straight-through floppy cable for the floppy drive if you're using one with the cable twist.

but the problem for me stemmed from not all of the cable being inserted into the IDE drive I was using from moving it around. You might have something similar happening here.