VOGONS

First post, by Bakersor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I've treated myself this Christmas with a Compaq Portable 1 that I found for a good price (listed as working). I've been thinking to buy a Compaq Portable for a few years, being in love with the design and story behind it. Because I am from EU and I bought it from US, I am currently waiting for a power converter to arrive.
Full disclosure, this is the oldest PC that I own. The rest of my collection is PCs from 1994 or newer. So I have a few questions:

1. I want to use it to write some BASIC code (weekly use). Is a recap required? Is it required even before the first boot that I try?
2. If the recapping is recommended, what type of capacitors do I need? I heard different opinions on which ones are best for longevity (ceramic vs electrolytic, Japanese brands vs the rest).
3. What upgrades do you recommend? I am thinking to add an XT-CF card.

Thanks in advance. Any tips for a new owner of such a machine are welcome.

Reply 1 of 1, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Electrolytics may not be the major problem, but tantalum caps can explode or start burning.
Usually any brand should do, I personally prefer Panasonic electrolytics 105°C low ESR types.
This can be done, but none of my Portables got the caps replaced yet.

XT-CF is a good idea, but I would add a NE1000 for networking too.
If you dont have any parallelport storage devices, an 8 bit SCSI Controller might come handy for data backup and transmission too.
Paralleport SCSI is another option.