VOGONS

First post, by Taylor235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya

Have tried two different cables now and having the same issue. Is the card damaged or is the port somehow smaller… or am I missing something?

The female end of the passthrough cable wont fit into the male connector on the voodoo (top card in the images.) A standard vga cable fits into the female end of the cable, and the outside metal part of the male end on the passthrough cable even fits over the outside of the male connector on the card, so it seems like the connector on the card is the wrong side? How is that possible?

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2626.jpeg
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2625.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2625.jpeg
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 9, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps the pins in the male connector are bent.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 9, by Taylor235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-01-10, 14:35:

Perhaps the pins in the male connector are bent.

They all look fine- the connector on the passthrough catches against the metal circled on the outside of the male connector which is what seems to be stopping it from going in - but it doesn’t appear bent which is what’s confusing me

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    File size
    59.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 9, by Taylor235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2024-01-10, 15:32:

Try with the card outside of the case, just to make sure nothing blocks the passthrough cable when the card is fitted.

have just tried that- something definitely strange about the connector on the card?

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 9, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems the metal "cover" of the connector (I can't find a better expression) on the Voodoo is from a female dsub instead of male dsub. Most likely the previous owner switched it by accident.

Remove the screws on both dsubs, then remove the cards metal bracket and then when you have all this done, you should be able to put the cover down too. Do the same with some dead piece of HW equipped with dsub 9 or 15 pin and use the proper male cover on the Voodoo card. If you don't have any garbage HW around, then you can buy something like this connector https://cz.farnell.com/en-CZ/wurth-elektronik … 9way/dp/1841196 and use the cover from it.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6 of 9, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote on 2024-01-10, 16:17:

It seems the metal "cover" of the connector (I can't find a better expression) on the Voodoo is from a female dsub instead of male dsub. Most likely the previous owner switched it by accident.

Remove the screws on both dsubs, then remove the cards metal bracket and then when you have all this done, you should be able to put the cover down too. Do the same with some dead piece of HW equipped with dsub 9 or 15 pin and use the proper male cover on the Voodoo card. If you don't have any garbage HW around, then you can buy something like this connector https://cz.farnell.com/en-CZ/wurth-elektronik … 9way/dp/1841196 and use the cover from it.

All though I can't imagine that ever happening, I kind of thinking you're right, it looks like it ... god catch, if that's the case

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by Taylor235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
havli wrote on 2024-01-10, 16:17:

As h3nrik said very good spot - I wasn’t even aware the metal shroud came off the connector so easily. After disassembling it does look like it’s been replaced at some point - the one that doesn’t fit is much cleaner/newer looking. I don’t have a spare to swap it out for right now but works fine for the meantime with the shroud just removed I suppose. Not sure why it would have ever been replaced in such a way

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 9, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, it is weird. But easy problem to fix 😀 Without the cover the pins could be damaged easily, even shorted, so be careful. But it will work without... well, maybe there could be problem with shielding the cable as it won't be grounded on the card side. Might show some interference on the screen.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9 of 9, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like the card shield could just be turned over to accommodate the correct match to the cable shield.
I've had to do that to some similar boards that were assembled incorrectly by the original connector manufacturer.
(alternately they were ordered/specified wrong by the board maker)